Hello and Thank You
Jul 22, 2011 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

vonlichtenstine

New Head-Fier
I started looking into headphones a year or so ago and I have been lurking on this forum almost daily since then.

Over the past few years I have put together a decent 2 channel/home theater that I greatly enjoy but definitely under-use.   I wanted to listen to more music so I was looking for some relatively cheap headphones that I could leave at work.

After pouring over threads for months I finally settled on Denon D2000 and a fiio E7.  On a side note I also picked up some m50s and fiio e1 for travel and koss ksc-75 for jogging.

I have to say I am blown away by the great insight available on this forum.  Particularly with the Denon/E7 setup I am amazed how close a few hundred dollars can come to a much more expensive speaker system.  I find myself enjoying listening to music at work quite nearly as much as I do at home.

Thanks for all the good info and keep up the good work!

Jul 22, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 11
Great choices! I love my d2000s

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 11
I really do as well.  I'm now starting to wonder what the next step is for me.  I am quite satisfied with my setup at work but I would like to have a nice pair to keep on the nightstand so I don't always have to go to the media room.

Right now I'm using the M50s for that purpose and I like them, but I think I would be happier with a little bit more sound-stage and a little bit tighter bass. It would have to be a decent all-rounder as my interests range from thrash metal to classical and everything in-between.

I have considered the hd598 - but I'm afraid I may not be happy with its bass presence.  I have also considered hd600, hd650, ad900 but its hard to know exactly how these stack up.  I'm even considering trying a pair of superlux 668Bs for kicks as I have seen them reviewed favorably against the M50s in a couple of posts. 

Maybe I should just get another pair of D2000s - what other good all-rounders should I consider?

Jul 24, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 11
I'm in a similar position. Im looking for bigger bass however. More sub style bass. From what I've read the hd650 might be a good fit for you

Jul 24, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 11
A step up to the d7000 or markl modding your d2000s could be another option

Jul 24, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #6 of 11
Hmm.. for good allrounders I'd normally suggest the HD600, they don't do anything wrong, but can sound a little boring compared to the D2000. What you could do is get a HD650 for classical listening (if you have a nice amp to go with it) since I don't think the Denons are the best for classical music and have two phones with different sound signatures. Or upgrade to the D5000 or D7000 since for the HD600 and esp. the 650, it would be good to get an amp with it and for the same price, you could get a D5000 (I wish I had done that instead of buying my current setup). Just my 2 cents though.

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 11
after looking back at what you wrote, i think that a pair of d5000s or d7000s (depending on how much you're looking to spend) would be perfect. There is something to be said about variety, but if it aint broke, dont fix it. you could even go for another pair of d2000s if you're set where you are

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for the advice - d7000 seems like a logical choice based on how much I like the d2000. Though it seems like in many comparison threads d7000 does not compare well to other ~$1000 offerings. The t1 is an intriguing option though I haven't done a lot of research in that direction.

How would something like the t1 do for metal or indie rock? I would assume they were designed with classical in mind. Also I've had my eye on a peachtree music box as a nightstand device - could the musicbox power a t1 class headphone?

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonlichtenstine /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Right now I'm using the M50s for that purpose and I like them, but I think I would be happier with a little bit more sound-stage and a little bit tighter bass. It would have to be a decent all-rounder as my interests range from thrash metal to classical and everything in-between.

Maybe you should try a HP700 since you like the Denon sound so much? This review makes it sound like it's a portable D7000 with more midrange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back