Hello, (Again)
Mar 5, 2006 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Gufi

Head-Fier
I bought PX100 a month ago,
But I yet not sastified of the quality.
I'm using onboard 5.1 (Gigabyte) sound card.
I thinkin to buy "Creative Live 7.1 24bit" for 40$
Will it be good for headphones, and make a big change?
I also gonna buy Creative SBS390 speakers.

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf
Get the hercules fortissimo (about the same price) or the chaintech av710 (cheaper) and then some sort of amplifier (like a cheap go-vibe: http://www.camerahobby.com/Misc_GoVibe.htm or better).

Good advice.

An amp will make little difference to the PX100's performance. It sounds like you need a headphone upgrade! Can you tell us more about what you liked and disliked about the PX100, as well as what music you listen to? That would help the selection process a lot!

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 24
They just 1 month old. heh

I disliked: Not comfort, No big diffrence in quality than my 3$ phones
Liked: Design, Has a nice box.

Chiantech and Hercules not available in my country.

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 24
Asking in the computer-as-source forum will probably get you more responses.

Most of Creative's sound cards aren't that great (except for gaming). Their E-MU line gets a lot of praise around here though.

What country are you from and what is available to you?

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 24
If your not noticing a big difference between $3 headphones and the PX-100's you might also wanna check what bitrate you ripped your CD's at.(I assume you know better than to get MP3's off crappy filesharing networks....)

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 24
From that list of brands, what is most recommended around these parts would be:

Creative EMU
M-Audio Revolution
M-Audio Audiophile

None of which I have experience with myself. Good luck.

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #13 of 24
EMu not available
M-Audio Revolution = 200$
M-Audio Audiophile = 400$
i look for about 40$ card
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #14 of 24
Look for an Audigy SE (or Value - SB0570 in any case), this appears to be the improved successor to the Live! 24-Bit and should drive cans rather well. (Make sure you get a driver CD with the card, otherwise you'll have a problem.) Look up the thread on mods in computers-as-source if you're handy with a soldering iron; the effort to improve bypassing seems to be very much worth it.

I guess the main problem with your current onboard sound is too small output coupling caps for the PX100's 32 ohm impedance, thus limited bass response. (If there is no additional output series resistor, the output coupling capacitors must be 220µF or larger for 32 ohm cans; for an additional 47 ohm you need 100µF, in case of 100 ohm at least 47µF. For optimum performance, electrolytics should even be oversized by a factor of 10 for a corner freq of ~2 Hz, which is possible with higher-impedance loads but gets out of hand with low-impedance ones. DC coupled designs are better suited then.) These cans should absolutely sound a lot better than cheapo earbuds, with good bass response down to 40..60 Hz. The Creative cards have DC coupled outputs and should not have any problems in the bass response department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back