Hello - Advice Sought From the Experts
Mar 8, 2013 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

MrMonte

Head-Fier
Hello to all. I read reviews here regularly and am always impressed with the resident expertise here. I would very, very much appreciate your thoughts on helping me find "just the right" IEM. I own about five pairs - I like the search - and just recently rediscovered my Nu-Force NE-6s. I hadn't remembered liking them so much, but it seems like of all the pairs I have, they are closest to what I am looking for.

I should preface the next comments by noting that while I do enjoy searching for and reading about IEMs, I am not an audiophile by any means. I generally "get" the idiom but I don't pretend to have the knowledge and understanding of the regulars on this forum. So please excuse me if my description of what I am looking for is imprecise, or not as well stated as it could be.

The short description is that I'm looking for something like the NE-6, just better all around. More specifically, I am looking for:

- An IEM with a "warm" presentation, that is easy on the ears, but does not sacrifice detail at the higher end. With the NE-6s, I feel like I could listen to them all day, without an equalizer. With neutral IEMs, I always end up equalizing them to give them dynamism, which I guess defeats the purpose. However, the NE-6s could use a little more detail at the higher end.
- An IEM with the "oomph" I get with the NE-6s, I am not referring to the bass here so much, but just the overall full sound that is very clean, and powerful, and all the instrumentation sounds fully in synch, and punchy.
- An IEM with strong, but not overly pronounced, bass. Example: If I put on Bob Marley's "Get Up, Stand Up," I want to hear and feel the bass; but I don't - repeat don't - want to be overwhelmed by it. I'm not a basshead! But I do like to know it's there.
- An IEM that is under $100.00. I don't have the budget for more than that.

Based on what I've read here, there are a few I'm considering. The NE-770 or 700s seem like contenders, but I'm not sure which would be better for me (why not stick with what I know and like?). Also considering the V-Sonic GR06 based on what I've read here. I have tried the RE-Zeros but for some reason they don't resonate with me like they do with most of you here - but I'm still trying. I'm also considering the Shure's. I want to emphasize, in no way am I limited to this list. Certainly there are others I am missing, or not aware of.

So thanks in advance, and I will highly value your recommendations and thoughts.

MrMonte

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 18
SE215 is not doing so good on treble, and not much details. But the treble is smooth.

From what u described, MH1C is a better pick. Or the GR02.

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
SE215 is not doing so good on treble, and not much details. But the treble is smooth.

From what u described, MH1C is a better pick. Or the GR02.

I don't know. The MH1C might be a little overpowering for him on the low end. I chose the SE215 because it's a great first $100 iem because it's very comfortable, isolates like hell, and has replaceable cables. It also sound pretty good.

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #6 of 18
Sounds almost exactly like the BA200s but a bit over budget unfortunately. PFE012s could also work. 

GR06s roll-off pretty quick as well, probably not enough treble detail as being asked for. GR02/04 sound like they'd slot in nicely, so definitely agree with those. 

Aren't the GR07 over budget for you? Probably why they suggested the 2s over those.

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 18
"- An IEM with strong, but not overly pronounced, bass."

I think MH1C just fine.

and

An IEM with a "warm" presentation, that is easy on the ears, but does not sacrifice detail at the higher end.

I don't think SE215 is the choice. but warm and easy on the ears, yes.

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
"- An IEM with strong, but not overly pronounced, bass."

I think MH1C just fine.

and

An IEM with a "warm" presentation, that is easy on the ears, but does not sacrifice detail at the higher end.

I don't think SE215 is the choice. but warm and easy on the ears, yes.

I'm just saying, there's a risk he might find the bass "overly pronounced."

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
Sounds almost exactly like the BA200s but a bit over budget unfortunately. PFE012s could also work. 

GR06s roll-off pretty quick as well, probably not enough treble detail as being asked for. GR02/04 sound like they'd slot in nicely, so definitely agree with those. 

Aren't the GR07 over budget for you? Probably why they suggested the 2s over those.

you are right about the GR07s - my error. That said, The TDKs that have been mentioned here sound intriguing, even if a bit over budget. But I listen to a LOT of music every day (I commute on a train), and if I really felt they were the right ones, I might go for it. 

These responses are so intriguing. The TDKs...the Sonys...and the GR series all sound intriguing. Which of the GRs - 02 or 04 - would give me that smooth, easy on the ears but still high quality, tight, and punchy overall sound, that I'm looking for? And if I were to go to say, $135, is there anything that compares with the TDKs?

The more you research this, the harder it is. I guess I really want to get it right, as I've owned many pairs through the years and while they each have their pluses and minuses, I'd really like to nail it. I just can't afford hundreds of dollars. Of course, a lot of the fun is the hunt...

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
These responses are so intriguing. The TDKs...the Sonys...and the GR series all sound intriguing. Which of the GRs - 02 or 04 - would give me that smooth, easy on the ears but still high quality, tight, and punchy overall sound, that I'm looking for? And if I were to go to say, $135, is there anything that compares with the TDKs?

GR04s would be more balanced out, but punchy is not a good word to describe either of them. The notes, while certainly not muddled up or congested, have a soft edge to them. It's more visceral on the GR02, but still not exactly a punchy phone. 

In fact, punchy and warm seems to be almost a non-sequitur of sorts nowadays. I guess stuff like the PFE112 fits even though they are closing shop by the end of the month. The notes are still soft, but have that stereotyped BA punch which works more on the premise of punch/impact than texture (other BAs like the BA200 and X10 will prove that this is not often the case though). 

Anyways, under 135, maybe the EPH-100 but they might be a bit too bassy and definitely not tight enough. X10s would work, not to mention the BA200's dynamic cousin the IE800s (though have not listened to that for very long). For smoothness but still some semblance of punch and tightness, the BA200/PFE112 are hard to beat in this case.

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #12 of 18
thanks to all so far. Looking forward to additional input. 

Right now it seems to me that I should consider the Sony MH1C and, if I"m willing to up the budget, the TDK BA-200s. I could get the Sony's and then a little later, STILL get the TDKs...

Here's two specific questions:

1. Is the sound quality of the BA-200s SO much better than the MH1Cs that it's worth the extra hundred bucks?

2. If I WERE to stick w/ Nu-Force, which is the most natural successor to the NE-6 - the 600, the 700, or the 770 - in terms of being "like the NE-6, just better all around?"

Very interested in seeing what people have to say. Will also check out forum discussions to see if the BA-200s and the MH1c were ever compared. 

Keep those responses coming, and thanks!!!!!

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
Here's two specific questions:

1. Is the sound quality of the BA-200s SO much better than the MH1Cs that it's worth the extra hundred bucks?

2. If I WERE to stick w/ Nu-Force, which is the most natural successor to the NE-6 - the 600, the 700, or the 770 - in terms of being "like the NE-6, just better all around?"

1: It is only as much as of an improvement as you would take it to be. There can not be an absolute answer for this. YOU might prefer the Sonys more, but the general consensus is that they are an improvement. How much of an improvement, and whether it is worth the price, is entirely up to you. 
If we were to talk about purely build and ergonomics though, the TDKs would unanimously destroy the MH1Cs. That would be an easy one. Both have flat cables, but the TDKs are much more sufferable while the Sonys along with the dreaded J-split are an nightmare. The shells are much more comfortable and solidly built on the BA200 as well.

2: http://www.head-fi.org/t/589730/mini-review-nuforce-ne-770x-and-ne-600-budget-earphones

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #15 of 18
so, based on the input here as well as ALL OVER the head-fi site, where a quick perusal reveals that my thread is hardly original and probably superfluous, I'm thinking of the following plan:

1. Pick up either the GR02, the NE770x.

2. Save some bucks and pick up the BA800 some time soon.

Don't want the Sonys becuase there seem to be serious cord problems. The Audio-Phonaks also seem appealing to people, but i'm concerned about the company going out of business.

QUESTION, ALERT, OR SOMETHING: For some reason the X-10s are listed on Amazon at $89 bucks. Is that a scam? if not, should I pick them up as fast as I possible can?

Thanks,

MrMonte

Users who are viewing this thread

Back