HEELLP!! Cant decide on me own!
Jun 1, 2005 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

silentfly

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! Isnt this an amazing forum....newayz.. im a noob to this headphone scene. And im lookin for (dessspperrately) for my first pair of "proper" headphones!

Im however not a complete newb cause ive done some research!!
eggosmile.gif

Because of price, the grado 60's seems like the best choice for me at the moment. But i have heard that they tend to leak and are no good in public places, is that true?

If it is then can anybody recommend a closed type can preferably with good bass??I know that is sort of like the complete oppisite to the grado's but before my researching thats what i was lookin for...however the price-performace seems to be leaniant on the grados side.....however if they really do suck at insulating, i will seriousely concider something completely different!

Although this post may sound confusing
blink.gif
but its late here in New Zealand and i really need some sleep!
tongue.gif

So any help would be greatly appreciated
thx guys!!

Jun 1, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 13
Sennheiser HD-280 pro is a good option.

edit: woops, on further review I remove my recommendation. I didn't realize the 280 pro was so expensive and it seems they are not as well isolated as some other options. I should stick with the source forums and member lounge
icon10.gif

Jun 1, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 13
You will want to consider the AKG K240 Studio. It is the best full sized headphone in that price range in my opinion.
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 13
While they do leak some, the Koss Porta-Pros are one of the best bang for the buck cans out there.

Jun 1, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 13
Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet!
Yes the grados leak way too much to walk in the open with them - they WILL bother the guy sitting next to you. If you are looking in the SR60 level, try the Koss Porta/Sporta pro, or the KSC-35/75. Still open, not as annoying in public, great bass - sound great for the money!

Jun 2, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #9 of 13
Thanks guys for the quick replies...

Now doing more reasearching i find the senns px250 really appealling esp with the noice reduction feature. Looks like ppl agree on the fact the grados leak too much, so i guess out of the question FOr now
rolleyes.gif

However i cant find any senn px 250 to be sold anywhere in New Zealand, onli the px200's. Any ways how about the senns HD series? are any of them any good?

thanks.... ive still got some time left so i will go and research more
biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, BTW the range in NZ is quite small since its a tiny country, onli the senns and the grados are easily "buyable" the others are rEALLy hard to find...so i guess i might hav to just stick to these two brands..... Almost forgot i saw the KOSS 79 (i cant remeber if its the right model), its the one that looks like its closed can and comes with free ear buds, are they any good? they are quite cheap but donno bout their quality.

Jun 2, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by silentfly
Thanks guys for the quick replies...

Now doing more reasearching i find the senns px250 really appealling esp with the noice reduction feature. Looks like ppl agree on the fact the grados leak too much, so i guess out of the question FOr now
rolleyes.gif

However i cant find any senn px 250 to be sold anywhere in New Zealand, onli the px200's. Any ways how about the senns HD series? are any of them any good?

thanks.... ive still got some time left so i will go and research more
biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, BTW the range in NZ is quite small since its a tiny country, onli the senns and the grados are easily "buyable" the others are rEALLy hard to find...so i guess i might hav to just stick to these two brands..... Almost forgot i saw the KOSS 79 (i cant remeber if its the right model), its the one that looks like its closed can and comes with free ear buds, are they any good? they are quite cheap but donno bout their quality.

IMHO PX200 itself will give you enough isolation, but if you want the noise cancelling device, PX250 is a pretty good choice I guess...

Jun 2, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #11 of 13
Another vote for Koss KSC 35/75, especially if you're looking for something more versatile for public places, going to the gym, etc., than the (better sounding, but not by much) SR-60's. HD280 is another good choice, but only as a substitute for the SR-60 in a home-based system (i.e., they have the same sound leaking, no good in public spaces issues).

Jun 3, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #12 of 13
Thanks for all teh recomendations you guys.... i just realised teh koss that i was talkin about was crap and its really,i mean REALLY hard to find shops for other koss products.

And after this weeks paycheck (which is not much at all) ive decided between 3 phones.

1) Senns PX200
2) Senns HD497
or
3) senns HD25sp howevery im not sure if my mp3 player or cd player can drive it
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=122135 (over here, this is one hell of a good deal, if i dont get it my mate will lol)
basshead.gif

at the moment im leaniant twoards teh 497's

BtW was wondering if i was to take the 497s into the public with ambiant noise, will it have enough insolation to keep some of the ambiant noises out

THanks again guys

Jun 3, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #13 of 13
Hi silentfly,

Nice to see a fellow kiwi in this forum. You might want to source your headphones from Australia's Headphonics for more diversed choices.

I spoted a few Koss Porta Pros for sale at Sounds Music store today, you might be interested to check them out.

If you have question/problem source headphones locally, PM me and I might be able to help depending where about you live in NZ.

Overlunge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back