HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Apr 20, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #3,316 of 4,472
Will be interested on how this amp works....I read some stuff and it seems some of these amps have a hum....usually this is from the laminations in the transformers...I hope this isnt an issue for you. I had a Schitt Vahalla 2 that developed this transformer hum and had to have the main board replaced to eliminate this resonance hum..

Alex

Apr 20, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #3,317 of 4,472
I drive the heddphone with a k5 pro (SS) and a wa7 FF 2nd gen (tube).
The wa7 has decent juice and clarity but in my limited experience, the hedd sounded better ( though not enough power ) through the SS amp
Perhaps it was the musicality of the wa7 that made the hedd too warm to my liking ( though my hd800s is a perfect match with that amp )

on the lookout for a powerful SS amp to drive the hedds

perhaps an updated :cough: ican pro : cough: might be ideal

May 8, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #3,318 of 4,472
I've been using them for a month and before that they seemed too bright and too sharp at times, as if the vocals came out too much. At this moment, the sound has improved, the scene seems to have opened and they are not so sharp, although still on the bright side a bit. It may be a matter of adapting the brain to sound, but after switching from Audeze LCD2C, it was possible to get that impression at first. The sound is very addictive and weight stopped being a problem after a while.

Attachments

• IMG_20210430_172319.jpg
    IMG_20210430_172319.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
May 11, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #3,319 of 4,472
I was looking at the Diana V2 but even used they were a bit too much and I've always wanted to try the Heddphone so I found an open box pair and bought them, should have them by Thursday or Friday. I'm going to use them single-ended from my Jot2 for a while to see how they sound but I'll get a balanced cable eventually.

May 11, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #3,320 of 4,472
I agree on female sibilants. It’s as if they tuned the Heddphone using the Cowboy Junkies “Sweet Jane” as a reference. The Hugo TT2, with its super capacitor power supply and 2W (from the front headphone jack; you can get much more if you feel you need it by using the balanced XLRs) does a fine job driving these, Very fast and transparent.
Personally, I don't find that the TT2 pairs well with the Hedd. It has this excessive dynamic that makes the Hedd sound aggressive, especially on female vocal, guitars etc... That's a great headphone that needs careful pairing. As crazy as it sounds, I do prefer it on the output of my old mac laptop. A powerful tube amp should be ideal but I haven't got a chance to try that.

May 11, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #3,321 of 4,472
Personally, I don't find that the TT2 pairs well with the Hedd. It has this excessive dynamic that makes the Hedd sound aggressive, especially on female vocal, guitars etc... That's a great headphone that needs careful pairing. As crazy as it sounds, I do prefer it on the output of my old mac laptop. A powerful tube amp should be ideal but I haven't got a chance to try that.

Yes it sounds crazy ... I don't know how much output power a mac laptop can provide, but I just can't imagine it should be able to move properly an HEDDphone .. I would say that I couldn't find any amp below 2x1.5W able to move the HEDDphone and give realistic, fast, clear, deep impacts in low and ultra low frequencies.. and keeping crystal clear high frequencies.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #3,322 of 4,472
Personally, that’s not my experience. I will say that I love this chain:

M-Scaler ==> TT2 ==> DSHA-3F ==> Hedd

May 11, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #3,323 of 4,472
I think my combo of the Jot2 with my iFi Neo will work well with the Heddphone. The warmth of the Jot2 along with the natural and balanced sound of the Neo will be a good fit imo but you never really know tell you listen.

May 12, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #3,324 of 4,472
I was looking at the Diana V2 but even used they were a bit too much and I've always wanted to try the Heddphone so I found an open box pair and bought them, should have them by Thursday or Friday. I'm going to use them single-ended from my Jot2 for a while to see how they sound but I'll get a balanced cable eventually.
Get the balanced cable!! I use it with them with the Jot 2 here and its an excellent pairing...the extra power with the Jot 2 via balanced is well used.....
good luck!

Alex

May 12, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #3,325 of 4,472
That was my exact experience with the TT2 little brother, the Chord Hugo 2, such a bad pairing: aggressive and rough sound compared to the other amps I tried at the same time. Didn’t like it at all

May 12, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #3,326 of 4,472
...with the ... Chord Hugo 2 ... aggressive and rough sound ...
I guess I hear some of this. But I don't consider it a failing -- I have HEKse, Ether 2 & Auteur for 'smooth'.

Your ears/my ears I guess

May 13, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #3,327 of 4,472
Ok, I got my Heddphone which sounds great and I hooked up my LCD-2C balanced cable and they work fine but I've heard you're not supposed to use them, so which is it?

May 13, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #3,328 of 4,472
Ok, I got my Heddphone which sounds great and I hooked up my LCD-2C balanced cable and they work fine but I've heard you're not supposed to use them, so which is it?
I own genuine HEDD balanced cable and some low capacitance Audeze LCD Balanced cable => I was not able to catch any difference.
I use android Neutron Player which allows inverting phase => no difference too..

No need to worry about it.

May 13, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #3,329 of 4,472
Good to know cuz I was about to spend $160 on the Hedd cable but I'm glad I don't have to now.

May 13, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #3,330 of 4,472
Other than the weight which I can get used to I have to say I love this headphone so far. One thing that has surprised me is the bass because it has much more thump than I was expecting. Now they're not as dynamic sounding as some of my other headphones but they have a much more full sound than I thought and the detail is as good as advertised. Looking forward to more listening and watching movies to really hear that 3D presentation they have.

Also, I'm pretty sure I got the revised version with the extended headband and I still had to go always out for it to fit my head and I don't have a big head so I can see why people have a problem with the fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back