HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Mar 8, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #3,287 of 4,472
If I had to keep just one pair of cans out of all that I have had in the past or have in the present, the heddphone would be it.
The heddphone was the first one that had me go ‘wow’ the instant I turned on the music.
It gives me the desired punch of the LCD-X and the detail of the HD800s

The performance justifies the hype in my book.

Also this little list where several of your ifi products make the ‘user satisfaction’ list:
https://hedd.audio/faq/3-conclusion/
i quite agree with your assessment. the punch of lcdx and the details of hd800s.

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #3,288 of 4,472
Hey, I bought Hedd like a half year ago and before I got Ifi pro idsd and pro ican , I didn’t like how they sound, I even put them on eBay , even Phonitor X with rme adi 2dac didn’t help a lot, but now Hedd really singing
So you are running the Hedds off iDSD pro and the icans and find it a good pair ?
I am considering the iDSD pro myself ( will go well with the other HPs as well me thinks )
Any feedback running just via the iDSD pros ?

Mar 9, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #3,291 of 4,472
So you are running the Hedds off iDSD pro and the icans and find it a good pair ?
I am considering the iDSD pro myself ( will go well with the other HPs as well me thinks )
Any feedback running just via the iDSD pros ?
I’m using xlr cable and idsd has just 2.5 or 4.4 balanced output , plus ican much more powerful, I have also set Phonitor X and Adi 2 Dac , with this set Hedd sound very differently, I mean it’s my honest opinion, I’m more musician than audiophile,I’m listening to jazz and classical music and to me very important how sound instruments and voices, besides Hedd some more headphones and Hedd became to my one of favourite just after I got Hifi idsd, ican I had before

Mar 15, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #3,292 of 4,472
If I had to keep just one pair of cans out of all that I have had in the past or have in the present, the heddphone would be it.
The heddphone was the first one that had me go ‘wow’ the instant I turned on the music.
It gives me the desired punch of the LCD-X and the detail of the HD800s

The performance justifies the hype in my book.

Also this little list where several of your ifi products make the ‘user satisfaction’ list:
https://hedd.audio/faq/3-conclusion/
Agreed

Mar 20, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #3,293 of 4,472
Been playing around with a Van Alstine Ultravalve tube amp with the Hedds...built voltage dividers and am driving the amp with a PassLabs HPA1 and a Schiit Jot 2. Very interesting results.

Mar 20, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #3,294 of 4,472
Pix:

1616270880121.png

Mar 29, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #3,296 of 4,472
TLDR: Hugo2 ==> Hedd chain can be improved by adding an external amp and Romi Audio BX2+ is very well suited to that role.

Just got a new portable amp to pair with my Hugo2go, specifically to help with my Heddphones -- Romi Audio BX2+. Purchased from AliExpress for $722 on 3/14, received on 3/27.

Hugo2go ==> BX2+ ==> Hedd

Very good. I'd been listening to H2go ==> Hedd, but felt it was lacking. Not 'bad' but a significant drop off compared to:

A2 Gumby ==> Liquid Platinum | DSHA-3F ==> Hedd

I tried inserting my AlgoRhythm Duet, but didn't care for the result. Seems like the Duet is a bit on the warm side, which hurt synergy with Hedd. Plus, probably still not enough power for them.

Adding the BX2+ definitely improved impact/dynamics and headstage. And (probably due to the stage opening up and being more precise) there's more/better detail retrieval as well. Plus plenty of power -- on high gain 50% on the volume knob is 'too loud'.

Bottom line, this is a great (semi/sorta) portable system -- surprisingly close to the quality of my full-sized system.

Mar 30, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #3,297 of 4,472
Having the Hedds for several months now and comparing with the new Focal Clear MG Pros, Meze Emperyeans HD 650 etc...the Hedds often tend to make me think its
like being there in a concert venue...the sound is so "life-like" in tone and timbre.....absolutely sublime..with the HPA-1 amp it really close to a 10/10 for headphones.

The new generation of Clears has good bass and a clear tad warm neutral sound, but putting on the Hedds the immediate this is "wham" a real soundstage....the bite and slam for bass notes and drum whacks is about the best ever for me.

The Hedds have a wonderful dynamic range....just almost perfect.

I just went round robin with the Clears MG, HD 650 and Empyreans....the Empys have a similar and slightly better soundstage, but the Empy bass is really fuller and more rich...and to some its maybe not as "accurate" as the Clears or Hedds...the Hedds are indeed a tad better to me in the bass and drum whack department than even the Clears which are very good as well...splitting hairs...but they are real discernable differences.

To get this performance from the Hedds you do really need an amp that has several watts to light them up....for me its at least 3 watts or so.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #3,298 of 4,472
TLDR: Hugo2 ==> Hedd chain can be improved by adding an external amp and Romi Audio BX2+ is very well suited to that role.

Just got a new portable amp to pair with my Hugo2go, specifically to help with my Heddphones -- Romi Audio BX2+. Purchased from AliExpress for $722 on 3/14, received on 3/27.

Hugo2go ==> BX2+ ==> Hedd

Very good. I'd been listening to H2go ==> Hedd, but felt it was lacking. Not 'bad' but a significant drop off compared to:

A2 Gumby ==> Liquid Platinum | DSHA-3F ==> Hedd

I tried inserting my AlgoRhythm Duet, but didn't care for the result. Seems like the Duet is a bit on the warm side, which hurt synergy with Hedd. Plus, probably still not enough power for them.

Adding the BX2+ definitely improved impact/dynamics and headstage. And (probably due to the stage opening up and being more precise) there's more/better detail retrieval as well. Plus plenty of power -- on high gain 50% on the volume knob is 'too loud'.

Bottom line, this is a great (semi/sorta) portable system -- surprisingly close to the quality of my full-sized system.

Unfortunately, I don't like the form factor of the BX2+, as it looks plastic and not like a standard DAP shape (WM1A, FIIO M11, AK Kann alpha, etc), but I am really interested to read the ability to move the Heddphone rather efficiently.
I can easily catch that for volume level, there can't be any issue, but for instant juice, It should be another story ?

As some Cayin C9 support is telling here, that for their amp, it's almost impossible to provide enough instant juice for the Heddphone, I am still doubting that any battery powered portable amp can provide enough instant juice to move really fast and fully the Heddphone like a simple Monolith THX887. This is mainly due to battery limitations.
Fixed amp, can, for sure, deliver enough juice to give real kicks in low and ultra low frequencies.

I am still hoping the ifi Diablo or BX2+ can do the Job .. but, I am also thinking that maybe the Heddphone is definitely impossible to be a part of a home portable solution => and I should better forget to hope this and better try to go another way with some other Headphone for my home uses.

Mar 30, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #3,299 of 4,472
the Hedds often tend to make me think its
like being there in a concert venue...the sound is so "life-like" in tone and timbre.....absolutely sublime
Indeed. I am very impressed with the heddphone.

my earlier k5pro just wasn’t able to drive them well.
High gain via that unit tended to introduce a ‘smear’ - if one can use that term - in the audio that was less than desirable, considering the Hedds have excellent detail retrieval. The low/normal gain gave better detail at the cost of underwhelming loudness. It was obvious to me that the hedds could do a lot better with more powerful amps.

currently using wa7 fireflies 2nd gen to drive it.
The loudness is adequate but while that amp really brings my hd800s to life, introducing a warmth that the 800s lacked, I am not so impressed with that amp when it comes to the heddphone. I miss the clarity that I used to get with k5pro.

Maybe it’s the tube effect

methinks SS amps would work better.
Currently on the lookout for a good SS amp to drive the heddphone.
Perhaps an iCan pro ?

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #3,300 of 4,472
Unfortunately, I don't like the form factor of the BX2+, as it looks plastic and not like a standard DAP shape (WM1A, FIIO M11, AK Kann alpha, etc), but I am really interested to read the ability to move the Heddphone rather efficiently.
I can easily catch that for volume level, there can't be any issue, but for instant juice, It should be another story ?

As some Cayin C9 support is telling here, that for their amp, it's almost impossible to provide enough instant juice for the Heddphone, I am still doubting that any battery powered portable amp can provide enough instant juice to move really fast and fully the Heddphone like a simple Monolith THX887. This is mainly due to battery limitations.
Fixed amp, can, for sure, deliver enough juice to give real kicks in low and ultra low frequencies.

I am still hoping the ifi Diablo or BX2+ can do the Job .. but, I am also thinking that maybe the Heddphone is definitely impossible to be a part of a home portable solution => and I should better forget to hope this and better try to go another way with some other Headphone for my home uses.
Sure, BX2+ isn't a mains-based amp -- I get that. I was just trying (and apparently failing) to say is that:

H2go ==> BX2+ ==> Hedd

is significantly better than:

H2go ==> Hedd

and that the chain with the BX2+ is surprisingly close to my full system driving Hedd. Not saying that it was 'just as good' as the full system, but a lot closer. Certainly a very listenable system.

I agree about the form factor and build -- it's a bit of a 'plastic brick'.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back