HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jun 30, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #2,386 of 4,472
I do have both, Audese LCD2 and HEDDphone and cables are not interchangeable. If you using LCD2 cables on HEDD polarity will be inverted. Why?Because Audeze use pin No. 1 on mini XLR plug for negative signal but HEDD use the same pin for positive signal. Pin No. 3 is used by Audeze for positive signal, HEDD is using for negative signal. We all know that will cause Phase inversion on dynamic drivers but I realy don't know if that is the case with planars. So better stay a way from using same cables till we find out is it OK to use same cables on Audeze and HEDD.
BTW, I have try Audeze cables on HEDDphone for a minute and I didn't hear any change in sound but who know does it can damage the planar drivers.

Jun 30, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #2,387 of 4,472
I learned this from teknorob23 when he built my HEDD cable.

1593531994469.png

1593532039153.png

How about interchangeability between Meze Empyrean [4-pin mini XLR] and HEDD?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #2,388 of 4,472
I didn't know that at all.. and, to tell the truuth, I can't hear any audible difference between the unbalanced stock cable and a balanced audeze/meze/kennerton balanced cable I bought.

Strangely, even hedd staff seems to approve such balanced cable to be used ??? as we can see on the image

Anyway when Hedd will sell a proper 4.4mm balance cable, I will buy one. It's two months I use such balance cable and every thing is nice.

Attachments

• Capture Hedd balanced.JPG
    Capture Hedd balanced.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 0
Jun 30, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #2,390 of 4,472
I learned this from teknorob23 when he built my HEDD cable.

How about interchangeability between Meze Empyrean [4-pin mini XLR] and HEDD?

I don't understand, but this seems not to be a proper Audeze LCD-2 balanced wiring with a 4.4mm plug ? it looks more like an unbalanced cable with a 6.5mm Jack :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: ...
Let's hope Hedd will sell a good balanced cable soon.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #2,391 of 4,472
I do have both, Audese LCD2 and HEDDphone and cables are not interchangeable. If you using LCD2 cables on HEDD polarity will be inverted. Why?Because Audeze use pin No. 1 on mini XLR plug for negative signal but HEDD use the same pin for positive signal. Pin No. 3 is used by Audeze for positive signal, HEDD is using for negative signal. We all know that will cause Phase inversion on dynamic drivers but I realy don't know if that is the case with planars. So better stay a way from using same cables till we find out is it OK to use same cables on Audeze and HEDD.
BTW, I have try Audeze cables on HEDDphone for a minute and I didn't hear any change in sound but who know does it can damage the planar drivers.

what???

Jun 30, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #2,393 of 4,472
if you reverse polarity on both drivers at same time, there is no phase distortion. this is called absolute phase - vs relative phase (if only one channel has polarity reversed relative to the other). relative phase is what you want to avoid, though some claim they can hear aboslute phase change (I certainly cant).

Jun 30, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #2,394 of 4,472
I have been using my LCD4 stock cable on my HEDDphone for 6 months. I never noticed any difference. I would think if both sides are wired the same you won't hear a difference. I haven't. But good info none the less.

Jun 30, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #2,396 of 4,472
I have been using my LCD4 stock cable on my HEDDphone for 6 months. I never noticed any difference. I would think if both sides are wired the same you won't hear a difference. I haven't. But good info none the less.

Are you able to hear a difference in absolute phase with any of your headphones? Your signature has some very nice gear that can make absolute phase audible. Especially the Yggdrasil. But absolute phase is also something that is tricky to hear on headphones. Some people hear it, some people don't. I think some of that is due to how some of our brains are wired as much as how the headphones are wired. It also depends on the type of music and recording quality we listen to. It's also something that can take practice to learn how to hear.

The Yggdrasil has an absolute phase button. The filter design of the Yggdrasil makes absolute phase change easy to hear relative to lesser DACs. Audeze planars also make absolute phase easier to hear relative to lesser headphones with messed up phase and messed up coherency. The combination of the Yggdrasil and LCD-4 would be ideal for learning to hear absolute phase. Stax and electrostatic headphones can also be very good for hearing absolute phase. I would suspect the Abyss is also good for hearing this, but I haven't been able to try an Abyss myself to confirm.

Flipping the absolute phase can affect how well and to what degree sounds are layered and separated in the recording. Can affect how bass sounds and percussion sounds (will either suck or blow, it should blow and have punch rather than suck the air away). Can affect how some instruments image and layer in the mix. In some mixes two instruments can move in front of or behind the other just by flipping absolute phase (it affects imaging depth of each instrument). Can affect the overall room or hall sound in the recording (the hall sound will either fill the recording space or suck it out).

Jun 30, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #2,397 of 4,472
I have never messed with the absolute phase button on the Yggdrasil. Interesting experiment. I will spend some time with it.

Jun 30, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #2,398 of 4,472

My false. You're right.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #2,399 of 4,472
Try SPL Phonitor 2's DIP switches 1 and / or 2 at the bottom of Phonitor.
Each switches "On" position boost the signal:
• SW1: +12dB,
• SW2: +22dB,
• SW1+2: +24dB.
• SW3 (only Cinch input) additional +12dB.
See manual page 25.

Phonitor doesn't lack power (sure not!), you just don't have enough gain range on the volume knob to drive it to full power.

Probably your source doesn't have a strong enough output.
Phonitor is designed to be able deal with pro studio levels, much hotter then typical home/HiFi.
The DIP switches give the necessary choices with lower output sources.

Phonitor's basic gain (DIP switches off) is 6dB only, according to the specs in the manual.

The thing I hate about the switches on the SPL is that the distortion sets in rather quickly once they are turned on(specific to balanced) Using 4v output from the DAC and no switches is not satisfying but With one switch I need to adjust the output from the DAC to 2.5v to reduce the distortion.

It is a little better but I suppose it might not be a good pairing, either the DAC and AMP or the whole set up.

Jul 1, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #2,400 of 4,472
This looks great:L3000:

Can this headset be folded?

Absolutely not ... and almost impossible to imagine to use it elsewhere than home or office :smile: :smile: :smile: I can carry it sometimes with my everyday backpack in the top part of my Lowepro Freeline 350, but that's it !
And there is almost no compact DAP+AMP with enough power to fully enjoy the Heddphone ... actually it's more than 1.2Kg to carry in the best case (Hedd+DAP+AMP)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back