HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jun 27, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #2,357 of 4,472
I love the sound, and the fit is killing me because it is way too large and keeps sliding all over the place so I might need to find a ver 1 but aside from that what is everyone using to drive these ? When using my SPL Phonitor 2 on the balanced output I have to turn the volume to max depending on the album and it still doesn’t satisfy me.
I knew that the headphones were power hungry but I never thought that I would need to have my amp at max level.

Jun 27, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #2,358 of 4,472
I love the sound, and the fit is killing me because it is way too large and keeps sliding all over the place so I might need to find a ver 1 but aside from that what is everyone using to drive these ? When using my SPL Phonitor 2 on the balanced output I have to turn the volume to max depending on the album and it still doesn’t satisfy me.
I knew that the headphones were power hungry but I never thought that I would need to have my amp at max level.

I’m using a Schiit Jot now

going to get an RME ADI Pro 2
As soon as I start work again

Jun 27, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #2,360 of 4,472
I’m using a Schiit Jot now

going to get an RME ADI Pro 2
As soon as I start work again

In terms of power that is a lot less than the SPL I have. Are you happy in balanced mode ? Hate to think that for $1,600 less I could have been happier but these headphones are making me think the SPL is just not the right combo.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #2,361 of 4,472
In terms of power that is a lot less than the SPL I have. Are you happy in balanced mode ? Hate to think that for $1,600 less I could have been happier but these headphones are making me think the SPL is just not the right combo.
Balanced is pretty satisfying.
I’m waiting on a high end cable.
we will see.
the jot is very impressive for the price point and beyond.

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #2,363 of 4,472
Try SPL Phonitor 2's DIP switches 1 and / or 2 at the bottom of Phonitor.
Each switches "On" position boost the signal:
• SW1: +12dB,
• SW2: +22dB,
• SW1+2: +24dB.
• SW3 (only Cinch input) additional +12dB.
See manual page 25.

Phonitor doesn't lack power (sure not!), you just don't have enough gain range on the volume knob to drive it to full power.

Probably your source doesn't have a strong enough output.
Phonitor is designed to be able deal with pro studio levels, much hotter then typical home/HiFi.
The DIP switches give the necessary choices with lower output sources.

Phonitor's basic gain (DIP switches off) is 6dB only, according to the specs in the manual.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #2,364 of 4,472
What’s the specs on it???
It's an upgraded Silvergarde S3. Trevor: «It is not a huge change just increasing in gauge from 20 awg to 19 awg per polarity now, but worthy enough to call it S4 now. For now we are allowing the same price as the S3 layered for a while.»

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #2,365 of 4,472
Hi Jarnopp

Yes, I have it since more than a week now, but actually wanted to wait with posting impressions, with just about 45 hours on it.

However, since you're asking...

It wasn't love at first sight at all. Wearing comfort was the least issue: The weight didn't bother me, just the relatively small hole in the ear pads that doesn't allow for enough space for my ears without occasionally touching them. So although the wearing comfort isn't on HD 800 and HE1000se level, it is absolutely bearable even for more extended sessions. I have the headband extended to almost full length, just one click missing on one side.

As others have experienced, initially the sound felt closed in and even dull. Moreover there was a distinct lack of energy and speed, drum beats sounded lame and slow, lacking bite and high frequencies. I tried a lot of different EQ compensation curves, but none sounded satisfying in the long run. Maybe the HEDDphone just wasn't built for my ears?

When I don't listen to it, I sometimes have it break in on a Corda Symphony amp, fed by a FiiO X5 II with a V-shaped equalizer setting. No scientific background, I just wanted to take care for large amplitudes and at the same time fast impulses without excessive power. Once I was curious how that sounded and noticed that snare drums had the bite that I was missing. So I was going to reproduce the curve on my main system – with striking success. Still the sound wasn't completely satisfying, but now we're getting somewhere. So I tried to integrate the gist of Jude's and Crinacle's measurements into the V-shape and after some trials ended up with this (provisional) curve...

HEDDphone-FR.JPG

...which brought the sound close to my (damping-modified, Silvergarde-S3-recabled and equalized) HD 800. Note that a V-shaped characteristic never was my sonic ideal, and none of my other headphones are equalized like this – but the HEDDphone seems to need it, at least to my ears. What's strange is that the available measurements don't give any hint to this – so I ask myself if the headband revision could have run in parallel to some driver revision...

Still there are some issues: Imaging isn't as natural and airy as from my other four open-back headphones, it sounds a bit like a closed system, in some way even reminds of an IEM. The remarkable occlusion effects (e.g. audible pulse) speak volumes: it seems as if the AMT membrane offers enough acoustic resistance to make for a closed cavity between it and the head, while the big earpads provide an airtight seal, causing the membranes to rustle distinctly with every air-pressure change. This design more or less disables the pinna's decoding function, which is crucial for the superior naturalness of open headphones – the more open, the more pronounced. However, the HEDDphone's sonic characteristic compensates for this in the form of an intimate, intense presentation and really high resolution – and an impressive smoothness (after equalizing). The bass is very satisfying with both extension and dynamics, so the initial lack of bite was a matter of lacking upper mids and treble plus an over-all uneven amplitude response, particularly dominating midrange bands, which in my experience effectively can lead to this lack of bite and speed.

I'm still waiting for the Norne Silvergarde S4, which will certainly lift the sound quality even higher, maybe also some 100 hours more will have an effect (I believe in transducer break-in). Well, up till now it's not quite the high-flyer that I've hoped for, but I'm glad to own it nonetheless, as a valuable fifth variant adding to my previous quartet.

One curious thing is worth mentioning: When I move my head to the right – it doesn't have to be very fast –, some high-frequency band on the left driver gets accentuated for a second or so. The same doesn't happen on the right driver. – I wonder if it is a defect.

Thank you for your honest comment on Hedd. I've been thinking for two months about whether or not to buy one. I read a lot of forums and tests. Tests all very good to sensational, also in many forums partly euphoric, but very rarely also sobering. You can read more between the lines. And when I read that they try another cable, it's like that for me after grasping the last straw.

I always find new technology very interesting and I am always one of the first to try it out. Of course you are also a product tester. It's the same everywhere and has to live with the shortcomings at the beginning of the development.

Here the new driver really promises a lot, but apparently can only partially fulfill the very high expectations. What deterred me from the beginning is the look and the absolutely enormous weight. The whole construction doesn't look as finished as it should be. I guess the whole development energy was put into the driver and the rest was neglected. Likewise one tried to get clearly into a lower price level.

I did the whole development of the InEar at Audeze. As I heard, they first developed the i4, then derived the iSine 10 and 20 from it and released them first. Yes they were good, but also not quite as it should be. Then came the extremely expensive i4 and that was an absolute bull's eye. For me still the headphone of the decade. Everything is just right for me now.

Maybe Hedd has to go through the same development. For a change, I'll skip version 1 here and hope for a version 2 or even 3.

They will have to work on the size and weight, and probably on the design as well. That must be easier today, with the technical possibilities that we have. Maybe take a look at an Ether 2. Especially in the area of headgear you could certainly save a lot of weight without sacrificing comfort. Likewise the driver housings, there is surely still a lot to be done.

Surely you have to do the sound tuning again, after all what you read. Now even a silver cable should not necessarily help there. I also think, the only thing that helps now is a very powerful amplifier and a good EQ.

But I hope that they will continue to develop this, just like Audeze did with the InEar. Then there is a very good chance that we can buy a top product with new technology here in 2-3 years. I would also be willing to pay more if the current disadvantages were eliminated. Even a 2.5-3TUSD or more shouldn't be a problem if you get an absolutely excellent and satisfying product. So I am hopeful for the next versions.

Liebs Grüessli nach Züri!

Jun 28, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #2,367 of 4,472
Thank you for your honest comment on Hedd. I've been thinking for two months about whether or not to buy one. I read a lot of forums and tests. Tests all very good to sensational, also in many forums partly euphoric, but very rarely also sobering. You can read more between the lines. And when I read that they try another cable, it's like that for me after grasping the last straw.

I always find new technology very interesting and I am always one of the first to try it out. Of course you are also a product tester. It's the same everywhere and has to live with the shortcomings at the beginning of the development.

Here the new driver really promises a lot, but apparently can only partially fulfill the very high expectations. What deterred me from the beginning is the look and the absolutely enormous weight. The whole construction doesn't look as finished as it should be. I guess the whole development energy was put into the driver and the rest was neglected. Likewise one tried to get clearly into a lower price level.

I did the whole development of the InEar at Audeze. As I heard, they first developed the i4, then derived the iSine 10 and 20 from it and released them first. Yes they were good, but also not quite as it should be. Then came the extremely expensive i4 and that was an absolute bull's eye. For me still the headphone of the decade. Everything is just right for me now.

Maybe Hedd has to go through the same development. For a change, I'll skip version 1 here and hope for a version 2 or even 3.

They will have to work on the size and weight, and probably on the design as well. That must be easier today, with the technical possibilities that we have. Maybe take a look at an Ether 2. Especially in the area of headgear you could certainly save a lot of weight without sacrificing comfort. Likewise the driver housings, there is surely still a lot to be done.

Surely you have to do the sound tuning again, after all what you read. Now even a silver cable should not necessarily help there. I also think, the only thing that helps now is a very powerful amplifier and a good EQ.

But I hope that they will continue to develop this, just like Audeze did with the InEar. Then there is a very good chance that we can buy a top product with new technology here in 2-3 years. I would also be willing to pay more if the current disadvantages were eliminated. Even a 2.5-3TUSD or more shouldn't be a problem if you get an absolutely excellent and satisfying product. So I am hopeful for the next versions.

Liebs Grüessli nach Züri!

Agreed but I’d rather enjoy these now...get on a pair at a HIFI shop and see. Even with the SE stock cable they pushed fantastic even with my upgraded tubes WA7...balanced out of mylittle Jot even better...better cable...waiting on that one now...but we’ll worth the money...blew ZMF away IMO my LCD2 with $350 cable...not even a close comparison.

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #2,368 of 4,472
20200628_095839.jpg

Has anyone used it for gaming? They're just insane especially when properly amped.

It is more expensive than my gaming rig though. LOL.

20200628_095855.jpg

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #2,370 of 4,472
What’s the tag?
You mean the price?

$591.99 (20% off $739.99, preorder discount)
options:
- Headphone type: HEDDphone (Eidolic rhodium, gunmetal silver carbon)
- Length: 5.5 ft.
- Cable termination: Eidolic ¼" TRS rhodium (gunmetal, silver carbon)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back