HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
May 20, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #2,206 of 4,472
Just "recabled" with teknorob23 4x 28AWG UPOCC solid core silver + 4x 24AWG UPOCC solid core copper, originally made for the Focal Clear, [via a pair of 3.5 mm to 4-pin mini XLR adapters]:

IMG_20200520_151102502.jpgIMG_20200520_151048233.jpgIMG_20200520_151040819.jpg.
NICE improvements! More refined- and transparent-sounding compared to the stock cable. Not as "hazy" overall or "hard" sounding in the upper mids/treble. Better articulation across the frequency range.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #2,207 of 4,472
First impressions are not good. Coming from an Abyss TC & ZMF VC, the Heddphone doesn't compare. Maybe I've received a botched item from headphones.com but these are a squeaky pair and slightly scratched up. :slight_frown:
Similar to my first impressions.......”Sounds like something is wrong with them.” There is no way around it, you have to burn them in for a while. Hopefully the sound will change. It’s probably just best to let them play on the side while burning them in. Although I will warn you, these are not TC’s so don’t expect them to sound as good.

May 21, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #2,209 of 4,472
Most honored and valued Sir Knight pataburd ,

no, I'm actually joking. No need to be sooo formal ^^

(i)
Well, that is common knowledge as it is known by likely everyone who is mix & mastering music, or even laymen as me.
The talk about that was starting (and ongoing) even in this thread, or here. Rtings.com has also a helpful explanation.
The number 90 % is exaggerated; can be 80 %, 70 %, can't say for sure.
But that is without the usual subjective factors having a saying, like the expectation-bias, feeling hungry or tired, time of day etc.

About the airy-thing:
Because Hifiman planars (listened to Sundara, Ananda, Edition X v2, Arya, HE1000SE), are the almost the most leaking and open designed headphones I listened too; and thus airy.
Even more than an LCD-3/4, hd 800S, Focals, Beyer dynamics etc. Only the stax lambda 700 Mk2, omega 2 and sr-009S are above that.
If there is no ceiling/wall etc. in the music, no cues which lead to the perception of a limiting stage, the hifimans are almost airy to the max. :D
If an stax sr-l700mk2 is 100 % open and airy sounding, an sr-009s/omega 2 is ~ 95 %, an HE1000SE is ~ 85 % and an heddphone is depending on the music listened to 50 - 60 %.
The whole sound stage-and-airy thing the heddphone simply does to a certain degree, differently than the usual headphones it is compared with.
One factor is simply because it is a design based on a tweeter and high frequencies sound differently than mid and low ones.
The same goes for the stax, the SR-009S for example, which expands the airy and open sounding high frequencies to the mids (a thing the heddphone can't do to that degree and other dynamics and planar I listend to absolutely not).
It if obviously a different kind of airy, with the Sundara being more forward sounding, in my head and close to the eary airy, while especially the Arya and HE100SE more outside and less forward.

(iii)
Yes!

However, that [...] music more in the manner that I actually hear it.
Now you explained it more in detail, helpul :thumbsup:
Holistic is a term from a biology if I remember; an organism :upside_down:

My personal preference is the same. Because of that the hd 800S is not to my liking.
It has a somewhat more expansive sound stage (the "fake"-depth and the width) but lacks somewhat the coherence of sound.
The spaces between the tones are somewhat empty - what does an expansive sound stage is good for if it is perceived empty, without body (dynamic driver is lacking it compared to planar and heddphone's amt transducer). Kinda sounds lifeless, less natural (thanks to the strange frequency response graph) and less realistic.
HD 800S is a headphone mostly suited for classical music. But even here I think the heddphone replaced it, made the hd 800S obsolete. Better suited and more enjoyable.
But, this is only my rambling about the hd 800S, go on :D
PS: You can write good explanations!
Cheers

May 21, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #2,210 of 4,472
May 21, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #2,211 of 4,472
May 21, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #2,212 of 4,472
Just "recabled" with teknorob23 4x 28AWG UPOCC solid core silver + 4x 24AWG UPOCC solid core copper, originally made for the Focal Clear, [via a pair of 3.5 mm to 4-pin mini XLR adapters]:

NICE improvements! More refined- and transparent-sounding compared to the stock cable. Not as "hazy" overall or "hard" sounding in the upper mids/treble. Better articulation across the frequency range.
Absolutely I've heard great things from experienced members here about the supremacy of UP-OCC cables too, especially for RCA interconnects. I thought they also have silver materials, but are yours copper only? And where would be an affordable source for some of those for interconnects?

I however would stray away from your chosen method, going for a direct cable with as few connections as possible. I would always feel I'm not getting the 'full picture', having a set of adapters on both sides of the cable connecting to the connections which ultimately impede optimal purity with so much added resistance / longer signal path. Not to mention the extra long terminations from the headphones are likely to rub on the shoulders. Speaking from experience on this one.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #2,214 of 4,472
May 22, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #2,216 of 4,472
Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #2,217 of 4,472
May 22, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #2,218 of 4,472

Starts to put the markup in some boutique cables into perspective. The majority of them are purchasing cable in bulk from large producers - very few if any manufacture their own raw cable. Many will state that the cable manufacturers give them special runs - in my experience, if you can get a contact from the raw materials producer, this is not the case - they are using off the shelf product and adding their own sleeving, and OTS connectors.

May 22, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #2,220 of 4,472
Absolutely I've heard great things from experienced members here about the supremacy of UP-OCC cables too, especially for RCA interconnects. I thought they also have silver materials, but are yours copper only? And where would be an affordable source for some of those for interconnects?

I however would stray away from your chosen method, going for a direct cable with as few connections as possible. I would always feel I'm not getting the 'full picture', having a set of adapters on both sides of the cable connecting to the connections which ultimately impede optimal purity with so much added resistance / longer signal path. Not to mention the extra long terminations from the headphones are likely to rub on the shoulders. Speaking from experience on this one.

Your points are well taken.
NOTE: cable shown is 8-cores: 4x 28 AWG UP-OCC solid Silver and 4x 24 AWG UP-OCC solid Copper.
That said, however, even with the inevitable sonic compromises coming with the adapters, the HEDDphone sound magnitudes better now than with their stock cable.
May opt for a dedicated "direct link" UP-OCC cable later on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back