HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Apr 30, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #1,967 of 4,472
According to your graph it seems the Heddphone's bass rolls off a bit from 50 Hz and could need some EQ.
Yess...

Actually, measurements were done just to compare with and without the tube. The office room is a bit too noisy for a good EQ (with a centralised controlled mechanical ventilation which generate artefacts easily)

But basically, I will surely EQ it in a while. That's why I am using Neutron (for Android on Hiby R6pro and for windows 10 with Ockel SiriusA Pro) I often activate the PEQ between 8 to 20 bands to correct a bit with MiniDSP Ears some of the frequencies.

For this, measurements must be done in a totally quite environment not to correct artefacts of the room and, if possible without generating distortions, just some limitations of the headphone.
For a few weeks, I will first try to figure which limitations are bothering me with this heddphone... actually the cracks of the foils were urgent to solve before returning it to Hedd.
Now, I will definitely keep the heddphone, after already 12 hours of pleasure without being totally cut from my family like with the closed Z7M2 or Ed15 veritas... it's a huge step for me.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #1,969 of 4,472
Did crinacle got paid to write a somewhat biased and criticizing review?
Or he ususally talks something down like that for various (I assume subjective) reasons?

This choice of words is so damn negative ...
"nitpicks"a bout the engineers making the heddphone sounding the way they intended: balanced (fun) and neutral.

The 6k recession is in reality not there, it is just measurement; he could have mentioned that.

"In terms of resolving ability and overall speed, the HEDDphone is not quite up there with the likes of Stax or even the HD800"
Sure, the hd 800 got faster transient response. No.

"so I’d say that the HEDDphone’s bass exists in the limbo of “worse than the average DD, but better than the worst DDs”. "
"Worse" - so the very well mixture of the base, a mix between planar, dynamics and a bit off electrostats, is now labeled "bad".
The mixture so many of the listeners like so much.

"The imaging performance of the HEDDphone is markedly worse compared to top-tier threats such as the HD800 or the ADX5000 "
WHAT the hell did this guy smoked?

"Overall, I don’t think the HEDDphone is going to beat established greats in technical ability but I don’t think anyone would call it unresolving or slow."

"While it may not be something that’s “bang for your buck” ".
The best bang for your buck in the enthusiast ($ 1,5/2k +) and luxury ($ 3k+) price range is not a bang for a back for him.

Is there some secret agenda going right now, as seen in the last pages writing more negatively about it? :smiling_imp:

Apr 30, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #1,970 of 4,472
It's all about taste.

To me, the bass out of the Era-1 sounds better than out of the T1, for example. :wink:
Same song, same dac/amp.

Apr 30, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #1,971 of 4,472
Is there some secret agenda going right now, as seen in the last pages writing more negatively about it? :smiling_imp:
Nah....crins just a highly critical reviewer that seems to bask in the bubble popping of thread hype. Sometimes I think he automatically issues a negative just because there is hype.

Apr 30, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #1,972 of 4,472
Sure. Very good we a variety to chose from and personal preference. That is not what I'm criticizing about his review.
As a reviewer he should use a more "neutral" language and not use his personal opinion to talk something down and use negative connoated verbiage in that way.

Is he? Reminds me of journalists who do the same. :upside_down:
Some things are just way way off, like the "bang for your buck” , the "imaging performance", the "speed", that I think he is simply lying or doing it on purpose.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #1,973 of 4,472
Some things are just way way off, like the "bang for your buck” , the "imaging performance", the "speed", that I think he is simply lying or doing it on purpose.

That was my impression, too, some things just don't compute for me in relation to my experience with the Heddphone. After reading this, one could almost come to the conclusion that it is some thin sounding treble cannon, which is simply absurd.

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #1,976 of 4,472
The 6khz notch is not a measurement artifact. it was audible on my mine during a sine sweep.
However, narrow notches are hard to hear during music.

Crinacle's reviews arent typically written "neutral". Every headphones has its critics. There is likely no reviewer you'll agree on with every headphone. Depending on any bias and preferences, method of review etc certain things will be under emphasized, overemphasized or missed entirely.

The review is not negative but he doesn't think it is $4k performance sold at $2000 like others do.

i disagree most about bass though, it definitely better than the average dynamic driver but not as good as the kings of slam and punch etc. but i also didn't think it captured all the advantages of planar bass either. Its not the best of both worlds but rather something of its own.

opinions always vary.

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #1,977 of 4,472
Ahhh..this is one of the most fun parts of Head-Fi. A new product comes out and is met with very positive impressions. Then somebody gives their impressions of it, daring to point out that it’s not “free ice cream for life”, newbies get their knickers in a knot, and conspiracy theories fly.

The Inner Ear review was pretty balanced, describing their approach, pointing out flaws other owners have commented on, and ending with the reviewer’s overall impression being an “A”.

Sob, sob, cry, cry, cry. Hilarious!

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #1,978 of 4,472
He gave it an A. How is that a negative?

Yes, first he did write a lot of bs in regards to sound signature and technical abilities and then he didn't follow through with a commensurate grading. This is called 'covering your ass'.

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #1,979 of 4,472
Sure. Very good we a variety to chose from and personal preference. That is not what I'm criticizing about his review.
As a reviewer he should use a more "neutral" language and not use his personal opinion to talk something down and use negative connoated verbiage in that way.

Is he? Reminds me of journalists who do the same. :upside_down:
eesh.png

Apr 30, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #1,980 of 4,472
"It's not for everybody and nothing is for everybody"

-Lou Reed on 'Metal Machine Music'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back