3.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 28, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #1,952 of 4,472
The timbre of the chimes/bells.......
Thanks for the hint. :)
Love the sound out of my Monitor 5.
Great.
Wished i could enjoy it with the hedd. :wink:

Apr 28, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #1,953 of 4,472
I have to agree with this from what I (and others) heard with the pair I had, or I wouldn't have returned them.

Yes, I believe I was the first to find them not "up to par"

I paired mine with my GS-X Mk2 in both, SE & XLR and still didn't hear what others were hearing, neither did the others.
Some thought they sounded a better on the WA33, though, but at this point I couldn't care less because they've already disappointed me and I was done, again, unfortunately.

Just to clear some things up here, we have had other HEDDphone returns from people who did not enjoy the sound. They may not have posted in this thread but there are others that have been dissatisfied with the sound. Those very same HEDDphones have gone out to others as open-box units and people have been ecstatic about them.

The HEDDphone had been hyped up so high that there was no way they were going to meet those expectations for some people. It was just impossible. Where the HEDDphone actually sits is a pretty excellent first headphone attempt that's actually reasonably priced. But it's not a giant killer and it's not going to be outperforming a $5000 electrostat system.

I couldn't comment on unit to unit variance as we don't measure the HEDDphones that come through since they are sent out new. Unit to unit variance is a possibility for any company though but based on the comments it seems more like subjective experiences didn't line up with others. For the most part, everyone seems to be running the HEDDphone off of different Amp / DAC pairings as well which can lead to different experiences.

At the end of the day people are going to like some headphones and dislike others. That's just the nature of this hobby. There's plenty of headphones that I'm supposed to like that I don't personally like and other headphones that most don't like that I do.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Apr 29, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #1,954 of 4,472
Just to clear some things up here, we have had other HEDDphone returns from people who did not enjoy the sound. They may not have posted in this thread but there are others that have been dissatisfied with the sound. Those very same HEDDphones have gone out to others as open-box units and people have been ecstatic about them.

The HEDDphone had been hyped up so high that there was no way they were going to meet those expectations for some people. It was just impossible. Where the HEDDphone actually sits is a pretty excellent first headphone attempt that's actually reasonably priced. But it's not a giant killer and it's not going to be outperforming a $5000 electrostat system.

I couldn't comment on unit to unit variance as we don't measure the HEDDphones that come through since they are sent out new. Unit to unit variance is a possibility for any company though but based on the comments it seems more like subjective experiences didn't line up with others. For the most part, everyone seems to be running the HEDDphone off of different Amp / DAC pairings as well which can lead to different experiences.

At the end of the day people are going to like some headphones and dislike others. That's just the nature of this hobby. There's plenty of headphones that I'm supposed to like that I don't personally like and other headphones that most don't like that I do.
Just to be clear, I'm not here to badmouth the HEDDphone. I'm here sharing my listening experiences (as well as 3 other experienced members) with the unit I had and trying to understand why we did not hear what most everyone else is hearing from their units. All 4 of us own, or have owned the same headphones, and some of us own or have owned the same gear, so we all agree to some extent or another on our sound perception.

I know very well that not all headphone are for everyone, and I truly believe there was something wrong with my unit regardless if my unit went out as an open box with no complaints from someone else. Maybe that someone else doesn't have much experience with other headphones and gear, or the sound descriptions of which others are sharing, and they just don't know any better? Also, I'm still following this thread due to possible intentions of buying another unit, as I've already mentioned. So please don't take my posts as a deterrent aimed at the HEDDphone because this is absolutely not my intention, at all.

Joseph

Apr 29, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #1,955 of 4,472
Just to be clear, I'm not here to badmouth the HEDDphone. I'm here sharing my listening experiences (as well as 3 other experienced members) with the unit I had and trying to understand why we did not hear what most everyone else is hearing from their units. All 4 of us own, or have owned the same headphones, and some of us own or have owned the same gear, so we all agree to some extent or another on our sound perception.

I know very well that not all headphone are for everyone, and I truly believe there was something wrong with my unit regardless if my unit went out as an open box with no complaints from someone else. Maybe that someone else doesn't have much experience with other headphones and gear, or the sound descriptions of which others are sharing, and they just don't know any better? Also, I'm still following this thread due to possible intentions of buying another unit, as I've already mentioned. So please don't take my posts as a deterrent aimed at the HEDDphone because this is absolutely not my intention, at all.

Joseph
I feel this way towards the pile of dog that is the Empyrean. Ha!

If you buy a second HEDD, I'll buy the last Empyrean. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 29, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #1,956 of 4,472

Joseph

Oh that post wasn't directed at you, just the thread in general. Sorry if it came across that way.

Narratives are easily formed here where one post 6 pages ago could be "I'm not quite hearing what you guys are hearing" to "there must be unit variance and defective units out there". Without actually having the units tested or having someone with a "defective" unit and a "working" unit compare side by side, it's all speculation. However that speculation turns into dealers and manufacturers receiving multiple e-mails from people worried about issues that haven't been proven to be issues.

And until the units get sent back to HEDD or the dealers, it's impossible to know whether there are any defects with the units.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Apr 29, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #1,957 of 4,472
I feel this way towards the pile of dog that is the Empyrean. Ha!

If you buy a second HEDD, I'll buy the last Empyrean. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Ha, I just repurchased the Empyrean for you. I'll just hold it for you till your ready for it. So far it's doing better for me than the HEDD!!!

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #1,958 of 4,472
Ha, I just repurchased the Empyrean for you. I'll just hold it for you till your ready for it. So far it's doing better for me than the HEDD!!!
Lol, we need to stop feeding this one! They keep popping out from under their bridge at the darndest times.

Apr 29, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #1,959 of 4,472
Lol, we need to stop feeding this one! They keep popping out from under their bridge at the darndest times.
If the Verite does not stick, the both of you, cut my ear off each!!!!

Apr 29, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #1,963 of 4,472
Driving the Heddphone with the Meridian Prime HA [dialed to about 1:30 or 2:00] and Prime PSU [w/Chord Qutest upstream].

Besides getting a "chronic noogie" from the sheer weight of these cans bearing on top of my skull, the Heddphone seem to be breaking in nicely--and really opening up--after about 20+ hours. I heard the Hedd folks say that break in is not required, but my experience seems to be a bit different.

Tidal Masters: Will the Circle Be Unbroken, Vol. 2, The Nitty Gritty Band and assorted country guests: "When It's Gone"

Yesterday, after first strapping them on, the sound was compressed and the pressure levels hurt my ears. Today, however, things are more open, airy and not as concussive on the ear drums. There is definitely a perception of expansiveness today that I did not hear yesterday.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #1,965 of 4,472
I got mine yesterday … I don’t feel any difficulties to wear those headphones for more than 4 hours every time (3 times till now)…
I am a bit surprised of it, because I am used to the 325g of my usual Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas, and that’s quite far from the 735g on my scale and should have been difficult, but it’s not !!! not feeling it on the top of my head. Impressive and stable on the head.
But, what was really difficult is the permanent noise when I move my head from my PC/Monitor to document on the table etc … the pressure inside the cans seems to attract the foil as if instantly with every move and too noisy.
Luckily, I managed to completely avoid this boring issue with inserting a 1mm heat shrinkable tube under the pads to balance the pressure inside and outside the cans

i-PXCf2RQ.jpg

Now I am totally free to move or walk in my house without any disturbing cracking (I use Hiby R6Pro + PA3S+ of 2W with 4.4mm balanced cable or a XDUOO XD-05 Plus TRS mode 1W with Hedd cable)…
near my armchair, I use a Monolyth THX 887 as a fixed amp of 6W in balanced mode with a Ockel SiriusPro (Neutron as PEQ Upnp and mconnectHD on ipad) connected to a Sony WM1A as DAC or as player with PAS3S+ amp.
All are working as expected .. perfectly and powerfull enough to drive the Heddphone in balanced mode 4.4mm or TRS mode with stock cable.

I just also measured with MiniDSP Ears to see if there is any impact on the frequency response, but no really “evidence” of degradation on this point.

The pressure inside the cups was really a big issue for me with that clicks…
Now, I am totally pleased with the results... thinking to EQ a bit with neutron PEQ between 20hz till 200hz , but not sure it will improve the sound result of the Heddphone, which is just impressive as it is.
i-GkCPtxQ-X3.jpg

Without tube Orange line and with 1mm tube under the pads in Blue

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back