HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Feb 27, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #1,276 of 4,472
No hot spots here, but I have hair
I actually think the HEDD is comfortable for it's size & weight, and thankfully they fit my head (fully extended) just right.
As contradictory as it sounds, they are rather comfortable. The ear pads have more than sufficient padding for comfort and just the right clamp force.
And for further context, the pillowy and feather-light HD800 causes hotspots for my head.

Feb 27, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #1,277 of 4,472
maxresdefault.jpg

I have never really encounter hot spot in my years of this hobby so I really do not have any experience with that. But one thing is for sure that as great as the sound of any headphone I would not trade it with comfort. Ultimately, it is the listening experience, which include both listening and comforting.

I would love to hear some reviews but I guess it is too soon for people who just had it for few hours or days. I am patiently waiting for a review or impressions and cannot wait to get my hands on one.

Love the photo!

I'm expecting mine to arrive tomorrow, so once I get some time with them, I'll post back some initial impressions on the weekend. I will also be writing up a full review for Headphone.Guru. As my runway is completely open, I can jump on these right away.

Feb 27, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #1,278 of 4,472
Love the photo!

I'm expecting mine to arrive tomorrow, so once I get some time with them, I'll post back some initial impressions on the weekend. I will also be writing up a full review for Headphone.Guru. As my runway is completely open, I can jump on these right away.
Very anxious to hear your impressions Peter :relaxed:

Feb 28, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #1,279 of 4,472
I had and sold the 800S. I find the treble on the HEDDPHONE more even. It is extended but not elevated. I would not call it bright. Soundstage is not as wide as the 800S but just as detailed. Actually I feel it better distinguishes the individual instruments. Also a meatier sound than the 800S.

Feb 28, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #1,280 of 4,472
Similar to what I think about the D9200 in that it does just about everything right (considering that it is a closed headphone), the Hp does just about everything very well. To me, it pretty much does not do anything poorly unless you are one that cannot tolerate physical weight (even though it may be quite comfortable). I add the extra padding that I referenced earlier because I have it, so why not use it just like I do with almost all of my other headphones now.

All of the descriptions mentioned in this thread so far are pretty bang on in my opinion except for the one about the bass being light. It is not light in my opinion and I have the TH900 as well as the original Abyss. It's bass is definitely lighter than that in those two but 'to me', it is more accurate or where it should be. I still love the bass on the Abyss when I am in the mood for it, but for more general, everyday listening, I will take the Hp out more often (but whether it is because of new toy syndrome or not, only time will tell).

I've had it on now since coming home from work, except for dinner, which makes it about close to six hours of head time and all is fine but it's time to catch some zzz's now.

Feb 28, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #1,281 of 4,472
Very anxious to hear your impressions Peter :relaxed:

I'll be sure to post back. In the meantime, the eagle has landed. Just put them on briefly (at work) and played them through my iPhone on max volume.

Just some initial impressions:

1.) These are BIG headphones, but don't seem very "heavy" on my head.
2.) I need them extended to the max size on my noggin and they just fit. Any less and I'd have issues. My head is on the larger side of things with a 7 3/4" hat size, so take FWIW.
3.) Even out of my iPhone XS, they sound BIG! Very expansive soundstaging, but more to come when I get them on my setup at home.
4.) Build quality is really good! Better than say the HD800S or T1s (similar "Germanic" price points) and they feel and look very substantial.
5.) Clamping force seems just about right.
6.) Short term comfort is good.
7.) If you have any Audeze cables lying around, you can use them with these headphones as a added bonus.

More to come...

Feb 28, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #1,282 of 4,472
The headband itself, however, poses hotspots. Of which every headphone I've ever owned proposed.
Except the Empyrean.

I've tried the majority of $1000+ headphones on the market and only two brands give me a painful hotspot on the very top of head. The LCD series, until they switched to a suspension headband and the HEDD. This will be different for every person of course, but for me personally, I could not wear the HEDD for more than a few minutes before it was too painful.

Feb 28, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #1,283 of 4,472
I've tried the majority of $1000+ headphones on the market and only two brands give me a painful hotspot on the very top of head. The LCD series, until they switched to a suspension headband and the HEDD. This will be different for every person of course, but for me personally, I could not wear the HEDD for more than a few minutes before it was too painful.
I get it. As I've said, and for me, with subjective tolerance, the only headband that didn't give me any problem out of every TOTL BS I've owned was the Empyrean. I always try to provide context, so other readers can view my thoughts without zealous panic.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #1,284 of 4,472
I should provide some context when the hotspots occur.
For sessions <= 1 hour the headband is quiet okay. Never had a problem with the focal clear, which are very similar in the building department.
In general, I prefer suspensions straps, like on my Hifiman Arya, though.

I am using my Headphones in front of my computer. So having them on 3-4 hours a time is quiet normal to me.

The heddphones are certainly chunky boys, but the sound is just sooo good :) .

Did anyone else experience, that the leather of the pads are a little loose towards the back of the headphone, not towards the top, front or bottom?

Feb 28, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #1,285 of 4,472
i am going to toss in my impression but i did end up returning to headphones.com

Comfort was the biggest issue.
The headband was long enough to cover my ears but my ears were near the bottom and clamping force was high. The force is mitigated by the plush pads but my ears got uncomfortably warm. I also got a hotspot on the top of my head. First time i have experienced a hotspot actually. I found myself adjusting the swivel and the headband positioning every few minutes. It was not actively painful but extremely distracting. I could not simply enjoy the sound, however good it may be.

The treble performance stood out to me. no peaks, clean and detailed but still exciting. Some will want less treble but it was spot on for me. It had that big and enveloping sound that some planars/elecrostats have but better layering and seperation than my he6 and elex. I found the soundstage wide to the sides but not deep at the front. The imaging and placement seemed odd to me also but I could not spend the time to decide if i liked or not.

The rest of the sound was great as well but did not impress me as much as the treble. Bass extension was not as deep as he6 and mids were oddly colored. The lower mids and upper bass especially were slightly thiccer than i prefer. This was notable with drums bass guitars and upright bass.

Overall it is a great headphone and I kinda miss it but it was too uncomfortable to leave on and enjoy.

My source was bha1 and bifrost 2.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #1,286 of 4,472
It seams to be a matter of the shape and not the size of someones head, i think.

Feb 28, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #1,288 of 4,472
So with my DAVE --> GS-X mini setup, these headphones are just fabulous! The level of resolution is right there with headphones costing $4,000 and more. The level of details on acoustic guitars from "American Standard" by James Taylor (on Qobuz 96/24) is amazing! Sound staging is right there with the very best headphones I've heard as well.

Comfort is neutral for me...not Empyrean super-comfy, but definitely NOT uncomfortable either. The earpads are super - cushy and after a few hours, I have no issues...and thanks to my full head of hair, no heat issues either. :stuck_out_tongue: Tonality and transparency are off the charts...definitely superior to the HD800S pretty much across the board (including imaging FWIW).

EDIT: Moondance by Van Morrison is truly something that has to be experienced with these headphones! With this setup, I'm right there with Van...bass hits in perfect proportion to the mids and the treble is so darn smooth, extended and very detailed! Again, soundstaging is off the charts!

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #1,289 of 4,472
So with my DAVE --> GS-X mini setup, these headphones are just fabulous! The level of resolution is right there with headphones costing $4,000 and more. The level of details on acoustic guitars from "American Standard" by James Taylor (on Qobuz 96/24) is amazing! Sound staging is right there with the very best headphones I've heard as well.

Comfort is neutral for me...not Empyrean super-comfy, but definitely NOT uncomfortable either. The earpads are super - cushy and after a few hours, I have no issues...and thanks to my full head of hair, no heat issues either. :stuck_out_tongue: Tonality and transparency are off the charts...definitely superior to the HD800S pretty much across the board (including imaging FWIW).

EDIT: Moondance by Van Morrison is truly something that has to be experienced with these headphones! With this setup, I'm right there with Van...bass hits in perfect proportion to the mids and the treble is so darn smooth, extended and very detailed! Again, soundstaging is off the charts!
This is teasing me. I am not pretty sure when I can get my hand on it. So far, I believe that the Heddphone is very positive can but there still two issues like weight and headband also yoke extension that leads to difference experience by individuals.

Imho, Chord Dave is certainly a super dac however, the headphone output from Dave is not so convincing compare to a good solit state. Have you @MacedonianHero tried the Hedd with tubes amplifier?

Feb 29, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #1,290 of 4,472
Great, another hp I’ll have to consider, darn it :triportsad:. Does it come 1/4” only or with 4 pin xlr for our gsx mk2’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back