HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jan 6, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #466 of 4,472
Regarding bass slam? Here are some that I use on pretty much everything I demo.
Yes - The Gates of Delirium (2014 Steven Wilson remix)
Igor Stravinsky - Le Sacre du Printemps (1969 Columbia Symphony Orchestra version conducted by Boulez)
black midi - Speedway
Daughters - The Reason They Hate Me
Krallice - Wretched Wisdom (2019 remaster)
Thxs

Jan 6, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #467 of 4,472
I think it´s best to wait and read user´s opinions on comfort before discarding the HEDD due to weight reasons.
Well put. Hopefully, the pre-orders get fulfilled ASAP, and we can start sharing listening impressions from extended sessions in known listening environments.

Jan 6, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #468 of 4,472
We received a pre-production demo of the HEDD HEDDphone at Head-Fi HQ and did some preliminary measurements. I'm calling these "preliminary" because these measurements are averaged from only two different seatings (we'll do more later). I should note that the despite the two seatings being done by two different people (me and @AxelCloris) -- and the fact that two different headband size settings were used -- the measurements were virtually identical.

HEDD_HEDDphone_Measurements_Frequency_Response_PRELIMINARY.jpg

Figure 1 (above). HEDD Audio HEDDphone (pre-production, production voiced) frequency response.

Here's the HEDD Audio HEDDphone versus the Harman AE (Around Ear) / OE (On Ear) Target:

Figure 2 (above). HEDD Audio HEDDphone (pre-production, production voiced) frequency response compared to the Harman AE/OE Target.

HEDD_HEDDphone_Measurements_THD_PRELIMINARY.jpg

Figure 3 (above). HEDD HEDDphone (pre-production, production voiced) total harmonic distortion (THD).

With respect to THD (Figure 3 above), we especially want to do more seatings, as there was quite a bit of noise outside our office when we were measuring -- with the Herzan isolation enclosure, the effect (if any) would be mostly in the low frequencies. Even as-is, though, those THD measurements are very impressive, in my opinion, especially through the midband and treble. It's <0.02% through much of the midrange and <0.1% through most of the treble (to 10 kHz).

It took around 290 mVrms for the HEDDphone to reach 90 dBSPL at 1 kHz. The Sennheiser HD650, in comparison, required about 196 mVrms to do the same; and the HIFIMAN SUSVARA requires around 1034 mVrms.

I'll post subjective impressions later. I'll say this now, though: The HEDDphone is a very impressive, very resolving headphone.

The measurements in this post were made using:
The Harman AE/OE Target plot data was provided courtesy of Sean Olive, Harman International, Northridge, CA, USA.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #470 of 4,472
I power my he6se with 4 watts on my gsx mini and 200 watts off mt emotiva xpa 7.

Jan 6, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #471 of 4,472
So it's in the realm of planars for needing a lot of wattage in amplification.
How much does the Hifiman HE-6 & Susvara need again? Anyone know?

The HIFIMAN SUSVARA we measured required 1034 mVrms to reach 90 dBSPL at 1 kHz.

EDIT 2020-01-06 14:45 EST: We just re-ran the SUSVARA, and it was 1034 mVrms (1.034 Vrms) to get to 90 dBSPL at 1 kHz. Sorry for my mistake.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #474 of 4,472
We received a pre-production demo of the HEDD HEDDphone at Head-Fi HQ and did some preliminary measurements. I'm calling these "preliminary" because these measurements are averaged from only two different seatings (we'll do more later). I should note that the despite the two seatings being done by two different people (me and @AxelCloris) -- and the fact that two different headband size settings were used -- the measurements were virtually identical.

Figure 1 (above). HEDD HEDDphone (pre-production, production voiced) frequency response.

Figure 2 (above). HEDD HEDDphone (pre-production, production voiced) total harmonic distortion (THD).
Seem to rise a little late at the 3K peak but maintains a good level after that (the Sennheiser stuff sounds thin due to drop-off after 3K). High treble is a bit high too.

THD doesn't really mean anything. It's a bit high in some areas compared to some planars but who knows how it actually performs. I just wish this was LCD 4 levels of detail. I'm already kinda set on that as my next purchase if this can't quite touch the LCD 4.

Jan 6, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #475 of 4,472
The HIFIMAN SUSVARA we measured required 1034 mVrms to reach 90 dBSPL at 1 kHz.

EDIT 2020-01-06 14:45 EST: We just re-ran the SUSVARA, and it was 1034 mVrms (1.034 Vrms) to get to 90 dBSPL at 1 kHz. Sorry for my mistake.

How does the Hedd compare to the Susvara?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back