HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
May 7, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 4,466
I am a huge fan of the Adam speakers (and in essence HEDD), and also planar headphones.
As far as i know they always struggled with lower ranges for the AMT driver. They stopped making the AMT mid drivers for a long time (last one was the Adam S4A i believe) How would the bass response be for headphones?

May 11, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 4,466
Pictures of the prototype at High End:

20190510_175329.jpg

20190510_175324.jpg

20190510_175352.jpg

Quite heavy indeed, which is especially noticeable when turning your head quickly. I do like the sound, and the bass is impressively intense, beyond that of an Ether C Flow, I'd say. I only tried it briefly with a provided DAP. The cable had a 2.5 mm balanced connector, so I couldn't try familiar music off a familiar source like my phone. They plan on making various cables available, but aren't sure yet exactly how. The connectors on the headphone side are 4-pin mini XLR, just like with Audeze headphones.
They also want to make the ear pads swappable so you can customize them as needed, with a mechanism similar to MrSpeakers headphones (wrap over some lip).

Apparently it took them just six months to get here. Quite impressive, I think.

The HEDD folks are fun to talk to, by the way! :)

May 12, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 4,466
Pictures of the prototype at High End:

Quite heavy indeed, which is especially noticeable when turning your head quickly. I do like the sound, and the bass is impressively intense, beyond that of an Ether C Flow, I'd say. I only tried it briefly with a provided DAP. The cable had a 2.5 mm balanced connector, so I couldn't try familiar music off a familiar source like my phone. They plan on making various cables available, but aren't sure yet exactly how. The connectors on the headphone side are 4-pin mini XLR, just like with Audeze headphones.
They also want to make the ear pads swappable so you can customize them as needed, with a mechanism similar to MrSpeakers headphones (wrap over some lip).

Apparently it took them just six months to get here. Quite impressive, I think.

The HEDD folks are fun to talk to, by the way! :)
Are they warm / dark or bright headphones ?
Thanks for the impression

May 13, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #6 of 4,466
Are they warm / dark or bright headphones ?
I'd need to spend more time with them, with known equipment and material to judge with any accuracy. The one song I heard on a provided DAP with unknown EQ settings sounded mostly neutral, except for some bass emphasis.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 4,466
I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for these. :eye:

Every AMT tweeter I've heard has this smooth but still highly detailed sound that is always the result of really low distortion and coloration.

But my biggest concern (as I have with all open-back headphones) is with their bass response.

Attachments

• 0hQyd5L.gif
    0hQyd5L.gif
    489.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 4,466
One thing that I think hasn't gotten enough attention is that the HEDDphone will be the world's first headphone to use this type of transducer!

And that's pretty cool!! :L3000:

May 15, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #10 of 4,466
Looks fabulous!

May 16, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 4,466
Can someone please tell me how this technology differs from Mr. Speakers V Planar tech?

http://www.hedd.audio/en/hedd-amt/

To put it very simply, virtually all sonic transducers operate as some form of piston to modulate the air.
The AMT instead operates similar to an accordion's bellows, and modulates the air by expanding and contracting.

May 17, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 4,466
No, ESS Mk 1 ages ago.

Always wanted to hear the ESS Mk1.
There are 3 others I know of currently using them, some in hybrid some solo.

Fascinating to see more popping up I do like the aesthetics on the HEDD.
These HEDD look stunning.
I assume from the link these are not hybrid arrangements.
Thanks for the posts so far.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back