HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
May 24, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #3,362 of 4,472
I've had the new Hedd 4 pin XLR cable for a few days now and it does sound better than the cheap Amazon balanced cable I was using. It seems like the same as the stock single-ended cable but with an XLR plug but it does sound better than the single-ended cable as well and for $160 I feel like it was worth it because it's still cheaper than the aftermarket cables I have for other headphones.

May 24, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #3,363 of 4,472
I gotta say, these cans sound pretty insane. One of the very few headphones that let's you truly hear into the recording. Transients are second to none, bass very linear, mids are very nicely presented with minimal harshness and the treble is pretty spectacular. The whole FR seems to have a certain weight and depth on these, treble being extremely detailed yet somehow soft sounding and non-fatiguing.

With KaiS EQ it fixes a few FR problems and adds a bit of fullness and mid-range detail:

G +3.0 F 470 Q 2.0 (Peak)
G: -4.0 F 710 Q 4.0 (Peak)
G:+5.0 F6.0k Q 5.0 (Peak)

It's pretty hard to put these down, though unfortunately I do give in to the weight after an hour or 2. If anyone could recommend a certain headband padding that would be great, I was personally thinking about adding a ZMF pilot pad.

May 24, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #3,364 of 4,472
I gotta say, these cans sound pretty insane. One of the very few headphones that let's you truly hear into the recording. Transients are second to none, bass very linear, mids are very nicely presented with minimal harshness and the treble is pretty spectacular. The whole FR seems to have a certain weight and depth on these, treble being extremely detailed yet somehow soft sounding and non-fatiguing.

With KaiS EQ it fixes a few FR problems and adds a bit of fullness and mid-range detail:

G +3.0 F 470 Q 2.0 (Peak)
G: -4.0 F 710 Q 4.0 (Peak)
G:+5.0 F6.0k Q 5.0 (Peak)

It's pretty hard to put these down, though unfortunately I do give in to the weight after an hour or 2. If anyone could recommend a certain headband padding that would be great, I was personally thinking about adding a ZMF pilot pad.
Listen as long as you can each day. After a couple weeks, you will be able to listen pretty much all day (seriously). If you go a week without listening, you will also lose that ability again.

May 24, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #3,365 of 4,472
Listen as long as you can each day. After a couple weeks, you will be able to listen pretty much all day (seriously). If you go a week without listening, you will also lose that ability again.
Thanks for the suggestion, gotta give those neck muscles a good workout. Guess I'll give it some more HEDDtime. :)

May 25, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #3,366 of 4,472
I got a "big transportable" BX2-PLUS class Amp for 2 days now... for sure, power is there and can nearly move my HEDDphone like my desktop THX 887 amp does. I get the intended kicks in low and ultra low frequencies as I was hoping for months.

The source is my A&K Kann Alpha 4.4mm lineout (2V) and 4.4mm output to the BX2+. There is no hiss, and I get clear and powerful results, though a desktop amp still have some margin when I use the optical output of the Kann Alpha to a M500 DAC between Monolith THX887 amp. But this is a really a very very nice and musical sound (impressive from such little device).

The BX2+ is unfortunately too big to go in any type of pockets and, when it is connected with my IER-Z1R in high gain, it gives some significant background hiss, but in low gain it's a totally blank background and the sound, out the BX2+, is very impressive too.
It's makes even worth to try it with some IEM like the IER-Z1R, some nice step from my main DAP (WM1A or Kann Alpha).

One downside is the battery life which seems to be rather limited up to 5 hours max with the HEDDphone. Even with the IER-Z1R in 3.5mm or 4.4mm battery seems less than 6 hours. Luckily, I can charge the amp while listening with a samsung 10000mha with a totally blank background while charging.. so I can move an all day away from my desktop amp in my house or office.

To tell the truth, I also own a typical CHI-FI DIY-like amp bought on aliexpress for less than 200 $, 2 years ago=>HIFI PA3S+ 4.4mm, which gives 2W power in Class AB and can move rather properly the HEDDphone. This little amp has maybe a bit more dynamic than the BX2+ (Class AB vs pure Class A), but clearly a less coherent stage and globally less rich sound from low to high frequencies than BX2+.
Sound of the BX2+ is clearly a good winner....... but... transportable, not truly portable and not at all pocketable.
A another downside of PA3S+ is that this little amp needs some special adapter for being charged, which makes it uncomfortable to use it outside the house, though it's working between 6 and 7 hours with my HEDDphone in balanced mode.
I could see that a new version of this ultra cheap balanced portable 2W amp is available on aliexpress, MQ1S-2.5MM for 125€ with almost same characteristics of the PA3S+4.4mm, but with a USB-C charging port (limited to 2.1A). So, I just ordered one, and I will see if it helps me for moving outside my house with the HEDDphone (for office or holidays)
Actually I would classify from the best portable solution for the HEDDphone out of the desktop amp as follow :
1) BX2-Plus amp connected to a line out from the DAP at 2V (Kann Alpha/R6pro/M11) .. Transportable, not pocketable, but so near a desktop combo. A clear Winner
2) PA3S+4.4mm connected to a line out from the DAP at 2V (Kann Alpha/R6pro/M11) . Pocketable, not compatible with USB-C charging, a bit less impressive the BX2+, but already a real pleasure to use it.
2) Centrance M8 V2 really pocketable and 10 hours operational connected trough Bluetooth to a powerful smartphone (Z Fold 2 5G), behind real amps in terms of music . Worth to use it though, it's falling short in power with some DSD.
3) Kann Alpha is really compact regarding the available 12V output, but rather, really less powerful than real amps and quite often falling short in terms of music (loads of distortion in higher volume level, less impressive than the 2 real portable amps, though it's rally good with IER-Z1R).

For my home use, I will use this combo, Kann Alpha + BX2+, as I can switch easily between my desktop amp (through Optical connection) to the BX2+ .. I just have to unplug the HEDDphone from the desktop amp and plug the BX2+ to the Kann Alpha and the HEDDphone to the BX2+ (less than 5 seconds and no other action needed) and still listening the same track with almost same quality and becoming totally free to move in my home.

I am finally quite free to move inside my home with the HEDDphone.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #3,368 of 4,472
I got a pad that is really not even padded much to go over the headband and I thought it wouldn't work but it pads the middle just enough that I no longer have a problem wearing them for a few hours. The middle of my headphone doesn't get uncomfortable anymore which is great and since the weight doesn't bother me anymore I'm good to go.

Jun 2, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #3,369 of 4,472
I got a pad that is really not even padded much to go over the headband and I thought it wouldn't work but it pads the middle just enough that I no longer have a problem wearing them for a few hours. The middle of my headphone doesn't get uncomfortable anymore which is great and since the weight doesn't bother me anymore I'm good to go.
Is it available online ?

Jun 2, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #3,370 of 4,472
Jun 2, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #3,372 of 4,472
I think I'm going to buy a few more and put one on my HD700 because the pad has started to fall apart some and little pieces are coming off, I don't even really use it much so I don't know why it's wearing out so fast.

As for the Heddphone I can't stop listening to it and I really haven't used any of my other headphones other than to compare them. The SQ is everything I was hoping for and them some because the staging and imaging are better than I expected. I think the Arya still has more overall width but the Hedd has a more cohesive sound IMO along with better micro and macro detail.

I was so close to getting the HD800 instead of these but I'm so glad I didn't because the Heddphone's SQ is pretty much perfect for me.

Jun 3, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #3,375 of 4,472
there is no official information on how to replace factory ear pads. no one wrote that he replaced it and there was no video of it. there is no separate ear cushion on the manufacturer's side either. can it be replaced at all or is it glued there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back