Heavily Modded Grado RA-1 (ReRedux)
Mar 15, 2006 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dsavitsk

MOT: ECP Audio
The original thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102404

The second thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115254

I have built nicer (sounding) things, but this project remains as the one that is the most delightful to me. Over a year later, I still think it is funny. However, I have been using a Velleman power supply and it has a habit of going up in smoke periodically, at times taking out opamps and various other parts with it.

About to repair it once again, I was delighted to discover that Tangent's Tread power supply fits in the 9V battery holder. There is only room for a 470uF smoothing cap, but since I can now use a wall wart with it, I think this is fine. Anyhow, a terrible picture. That's the DAC sitting next to it which has been upgraded.

RA1update.jpg

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 9
Hey dsavitsk,

I really love the cases you make. What kind of wood do you use, and how are you cutting the insides out? Using a router? Do you think a large diameter drill bit or a one of those sawing drill bits (I forget what they're called) and a chisel?

I was thinking about trying to do something like that for a PPA, but I don't have any tools, other than a drill and a dremel - but I could probably get my hands on a router.

Cheers,
Clutz

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 9
WOW. I am seriously dumb founded!
eek.gif

I love Grado's and the woody look. I wish I had the time and money to do something like your Grado Stereo System.

Hats off you to my friend. WOW.
eek.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 9
Just drill the hole as horizontal as you can. Drill from both sides to help elongate it so you have enough room for cables. Just don't make the remainder of the wood too thin.
Even if you go in at a 45° angle, going through that thin of section wont matter. As long as you have a hold you can feed a cable through

Start out with a small bit to get a pilot hole started.. less likely for the bit to travel. Just don't break the bit.

Mar 17, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
Of just use the existing hole. The RA-1 has a hole there to connect the batteries to the PCB.
smily_headphones1.gif

That would be too easy and would not be a DIY wire hole.

BTW.. Don't think you can call it a modded RA-1 anymore since nothing is left of the original electronic design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back