Heartbroken: lost Cowon J3, need new MP3 player
May 25, 2013 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Pott

100+ Head-Fier
I was carrying my new oven and hadn't noticed the huge box tugging on my headphone cord; it pulled the player out of my pocket and even though I live literally 2 minutes from the store, it was gone when I retracted my steps.

J3s aren't much available in Europe, at least not at all in Luxembourg. What would be a great replacement for the J3? What matters:
1) Battery life (the J3 had to be charged way too often)
2) 32GB at least
3) Extension slot (micro SD)
4) Ability to switch playlist from the currently playing song's album or artist (I mostly put all my songs on shuffle, and if in the mood to switch to the currently playing artist I like to do it quick)
5) External buttons at least for fwd-back play-pause

Any ideas? :)

May 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #2 of 9
Rockboxed Clip+...it is even more tiny I almost lost it once and found it inside my sofa! You will not miss your J3 much with Clip+, and you don't have to worry about charging! It has Micro SD slot available. 8 GB max is what you will get inbuilt.
or
Cowon D20 you can get 32 gb model, upgraded jeteffects, I have no experience with it though!
or
iPod Classic 6G (really) and get a decent amp like FiiO E11 + LOD, great battery life, no nonsense UI, playlist, battery life, insane capacity compared to microsd cards atleast...

but if you have budget and patience you have many DAP options among iBasso, iRiver, Colorfly, HSA, etc...

May 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 9
Cowon X9. Cheap, same SQ as J3, battery life is ridiculously long, µSD slot, available in 32 gb version, external buttons for both control and volume. The playlist thing will be very touchy, as it is on all Cowon. They never got it right.

May 26, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #4 of 9
Thankfully I have several spares, including two Clip + and an old Sony A729 (still the best MP3 player UI!). It's a bit buggy since I've not used it in many many years but kicking ass.
I've read up on the X9 but it's simply too big. The J3 was already borderline... :frowning2:

I was thinking of the Z2... expensive, but probably the only way to reach a similar experience to the J3. Any thoughts?

May 26, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Thankfully I have several spares, including two Clip + and an old Sony A729 (still the best MP3 player UI!). It's a bit buggy since I've not used it in many many years but kicking ass.
I've read up on the X9 but it's simply too big. The J3 was already borderline... :frowning2:

I was thinking of the Z2... expensive, but probably the only way to reach a similar experience to the J3. Any thoughts?

Z2 is supposedly buggy and the battery life is terrible. If you think the J3 had to be charged too often, consider the Z2 has only 1/3 the battery life of the J3.

If the X9 is too big for you, the D20 should be good, and has better battery life than J3.

May 26, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Nokia Lumia 620 with 64GB MicroSD and iBasso T5

May 26, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
In fact I have exactly 0 need for a smartphone, much less a portable amplifier...

Then Colorfly CK4

May 26, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #9 of 9
Not really available around here and it really doesn't seem great. I'm really looking for something functional... my J3 had lasted almost 3 years :frowning2:
I've had a big look around and basically gave up... I'll order another 32GB card and use it on my 8GB Sansa Clip+. Other option would be an iPod classic w/ rockbox but I don't want to buy a 200 euros + player and risk Rockbox not working 100%.

... EDIT: I tried finding another J3 but no luck for EU... :frowning2: AMP3 has some 16GB but it costs £17 for shipping!
Double EDIT: bought a 16GB one. Ah well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back