Hearing what others can't
Sep 13, 2002 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
Ok, so what makes sounds that most people can't hear?

Like I read Morsel can here sounds from those alarms at places like libraries. I know I can here high pitched whining from newer t.v.'s, but older ones, like with wood on them I can't hear anything (well at least its not as evident).

Biggie.

Sep 13, 2002 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 30
i too can hear whenever a tv is on and it has bothered me for years. i can generally hear them from about a room away and i have to turn it off unless i'm watching it specifically.

i also hear some flash bulbs recharging.

i've definitely heard alarm systems before as well.

i have no idea what this means though.
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2002 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 30
I can hear all those as well as some of the components of dog whistles.

Wuff.

Sep 13, 2002 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 30
grinch: That means that your hearing is still very sensitive to highs and good enough for at least ~ 15 kHz, because you can hear the line transformers (which run at 15.625 kHz on PAL-tvs and 14.something, almost 15 kHz on NTSC-tvs). And I know how unnerving that can be, but luckily I usually only notice the ones, that are getting old (= usually ferrite core degradation...).

Still some more last greetings from San Jose for this time!
wink.gif

Manfred / lini

Sep 13, 2002 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
Sit ! Stay ! (sorry, that was just too tempting
biggrin.gif
)

I'm really more the 'poop on your shoes' type.

Sep 13, 2002 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 30
Are there really people who can't hear TVs at all? I've never really thought about it, but it's always been just such an obvious, annoying sound to me that I assumed it was at least fairly audible to everyone. It's really at ~15kHz? I've never even considered myself to have really good hearing. ...

Like grinch I've encountered camera flashbulbs that I can hear as they charge up. I don't think I've ever really noticed any sounds from normal light filaments, though. That would be annoying as hell.

Strange thing is, these things would suggest I'm fairly sensitive to high-frequeny sounds, but I enjoy listening to cans that a lot of you guys consider bright.

... Are you sure not everyone can hear TVs?

kerelybonto

Sep 13, 2002 at 7:54 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
Strange thing is, these things would suggest I'm fairly sensitive to high-frequeny sounds, but I enjoy listening to cans that a lot of you guys consider bright.

my two favorite phones lately are the sr-325 and rs-1
biggrin.gif

Quote:

... Are you sure not everyone can hear TVs?

i wonder about this sometimes. i once asked my mother about it i think and she said no and kinda gave me this weird look. the look seemed a bit hurt so i don't try and rub it in people's faces. "i can hear the tv and yooouuuuuu caaaaan't!" sometimes i wish i couldn't hear the damn thing, i hate the noise it makes and anytime a tv is on in a room and there is no sound coming out to distract/overcome the high-frequency, it can be very annoying.

thanks for the clarification lini. i've been wondering for quite a while as to how high/low i can hear on the frequency scale. a friend of mine was interning at an audiology clinic or something, maybe i should try to get an appointment and test me out.

Sep 13, 2002 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 30
"i wish i couldn't hear the damn thing, i hate the noise it makes and anytime a tv is on in a room and there is no sound coming out to distract/overcome the high-frequency, it can be very annoying."

I sometimes forget to turn my TV off when I turn off my DVD player and surround receiver.

Then, I'll wake up in the middle of the night and wonder what the heck is making that whine? Only to walk into the TV room and see that glowing red light on the control panel of the TV.

It's a weird pitch that is more noticeable to me if I'm in another room.

Sep 13, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #11 of 30
yup, can hear most of those things as well.

the whirring of CDP drives is the most annoying thing ever tho! damn, especially that "cheap" (it was not cheap cash-wise IMO!) JVC micro of mine. I can always hear it, almost as load as a computer or a fan, and it ticks me off. when I asked my sister tho, she gave me that typical odd look, like "err...yeah whotever bro". she could not hear/notice it.

I guess that when you're really passionately into music, you learn to listen for the little details in the background to not miss a single instrument and stuff. and that makes you pick up all those nasty little humms and buzz's in "real life". ignorance is bliss once again ey...
rolleyes.gif

Sep 13, 2002 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
yup, can hear most of those things as well.

the whirring of CDP drives is the most annoying thing ever tho! damn, especially that "cheap" (it was not cheap cash-wise IMO!) JVC micro of mine. I can always hear it, almost as load as a computer or a fan, and it ticks me off. when I asked my sister tho, she gave me that typical odd look, like "err...yeah whotever bro". she could not hear/notice it.

I guess that when you're really passionately into music, you learn to listen for the little details in the background to not miss a single instrument and stuff. and that makes you pick up all those nasty little humms and buzz's in "real life". ignorance is bliss once again ey...
rolleyes.gif

Know exactly what you're talking about. I've had some drives that you could actually feel (and HEAR) kick in. But like you said, maybe it's just me hearing it, when the rest of the world doesn't
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2002 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 30
sol_zhen: same here. at home that is. i don't have a tv at school. the tv at our house has the loudest damn hum of like any. big crt.

lights can be very very annoying, but sometimes i get weird sensations, especially here in the lab at work, (there are about 150 computers and a ton of other equipment) from some electronic device i don't know which, where something clicks and all of a sudden gives out a deafeningly loud screach, then slowly fades away. totally spins my head, and its always perceived differently in my ears which makes me want to turn my head to the right for some reason. its really irritating, makes me think there was a power surge or something. no one else seems to hear them, but i'm not around people with good ears so i've never thought about it that way either. can't think of any other examples.

Sep 14, 2002 at 12:27 AM Post #14 of 30
To diverge a bit ... is it the cathode ray tube in the TV that gives off the buzz? So does that mean the "plasma" TVs don't hum? Nice, another reason to buy one. ...

Anyone know of somewhere to see a list of normal household electronics and the frequency of the sounds they emit?

kerelybonto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back