Hearing problems? Get your ears syringed!
Apr 29, 2002 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

elipsis

500+ Head-Fier
WOW.

I can hear out of my left ear again. For about six months I had been worried that I had permanent damage to that drum from an ear infection I had a while back.

Constant feelings of pressure, attenuated high frequencies and just a general cotton wool feeling had me pretty much convinced there was no going back. I saw a couple of doctors about it who basically told me they couldn't see any infection or anything wrong with the drum. Finally, I asked my regular doctor about it when I was in there yesterday for something unrelated. The problem was a lump of wax sitting directly on the eardrum. He took a syringe, squirted a bunch of water in my ear (an amazing sensation- feels and sounds like a wave breaking in your ear), and got me to tip my head sideways.

After half an hour, I could hear again!

Apr 29, 2002 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 14
ahahhahah crazy!

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2002 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 14
I would have some serious concerns about the 2 doctors that did not see the wax. That is a basic item that should never be missed especially if you had hearing complaints.

Apr 30, 2002 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 14
I hope the doctors who told you there was nothing wrong weren't ENTs 'cause, if they were, you should get a lawyer and sue for malpractice. As John said, ear wax is a very basic and common problem which should've been detected by the first doctor you saw!

Anyhow, I'm glad your left ear is up to par, enjoy!!!!

Drathen

Apr 30, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 14
Er, no, they were GP's, and I didn't even pay for them (we have public health where I live).

That combined with the fact that I didn't actually suffer any damage would mean that I couldn't sue them (not that I would want to).

Apr 30, 2002 at 5:21 AM Post #8 of 14
I think it's a good idea once or twice a year to use Debrox or other over the counter ear wax loosener to prevent undue build up.

Apr 30, 2002 at 6:08 AM Post #9 of 14
A whole forum dedicated to ear cleaning equipment and doctor referrals. Not sure about having someone blast my ear with water -- I think I've seen this done before on television -- looks like a turkey baster, not so much a syringe. But all of this discussion makes me want to get my hearing tested.

NOTE: I do NOT recommend that ANYONE try doing any of this stuff at home or without a doctor. Lord knows what little Christmas-light-bulb-sized ideas are sparking in some of your heads.

Apr 30, 2002 at 6:31 AM Post #10 of 14
I've used Debrox and a small bulb that comes with the Debrox filled with warm water to flush my ears out at home for many years with no ill effects. Using the bulb and water is only necessary if you have a large amount of earwax. Only rarely have I needed to use the bulb; normally a treatment with the Debrox loosens the small amount of wax in my ears sufficiently to dislodge it without added incentive.

The periodic use of Debrox was recommended by my doctor.

Apr 30, 2002 at 7:24 AM Post #11 of 14
That advice should be qualified with the advice not to wash your ears out TOO much. They are not really meant to get waterlogged on any regular basis.

That's why they call ear infections "swimmer's ear". Soaking your inner ear causes the tissue to swell, making it more likely to get infected.

But yes, the occasional use of something like that is a much better idea than screwing around in there with a Q-tip.

Apr 30, 2002 at 7:42 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Guidry
I think it's a good idea ONCE OR TWICE A YEAR to use Debrox or other over the counter ear wax loosener to prevent undue build up.

Apr 30, 2002 at 7:55 AM Post #13 of 14
Whoops, fair enough.

I didn't read that post up there. I know you understand it, but I just didn't want anyone running out on the advice of this forum and squirting their ears full of Debrox on a nightly basis.

Apr 30, 2002 at 10:08 AM Post #14 of 14
When you get your ears full of water, get as much out as you can and then pour alcohol in them to be sure they're dry and disinfected.

From the outside Flasken, and use Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back