hearing loss or ear blockage?

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by Acke, Dec 2, 2017.
  1. Acke
    I noticed today that my hearing is more sensitive in my left ear than than the right, I realised this after putting my headohones on backwards and the volume imbalance in the track didnt shift to the other side... pretty upsetting for me because im still quite young.

I have some hope that it may be some sort of irreversable blockage but ive had this hearing imbalance for a while... just always assumed it was the tracks or my headphones (pads shallower on one side).

Any of you experience something similar? Any way to tell if its just a blockage?

My ears definitely feel a bit different to each other but it actually seems to be my more sensitive left ear that feels off.

2. castleofargh Contributor
    actual differences are common for many reasons. but an audiologist is who you want to see, not talk to noobs on the web. ^_^

gregorio, sonitus mirus and Acke like this.
  3. bigshot
    Most people's ears have little differences. I had mine demonstrated to me with a sweep tone once. It's pretty common to have a "dead spot" in your hearing- a tiny sliver of frequency range that drops out completely. I have one that is slightly different in each ear, so if I do a slow sweep, one ear goes dead for a short patch, then it comes back and the other ear goes dead for a short patch. It makes no difference to my appreciation of music, so I don't worry about it.

4. Strangelove424
    At very low frequencies, a sweep sounds like it's bouncing back and forth in my head a little. My ears have the weirdest bass response. And my right side is more sensitive in general. Never really notice it during music.