hearing "hss" noise through headphones
Jun 3, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #16 of 19

Headphoneus Supremus
Could you please share with me some "good recordings", I just really have not the greatest taste of music, I want to hear something which makes me happy with my purchases.
I appreciate your time
Well I mean everyone's tastes are different, but I like dave gilmour's live in pompeii, diana's krall live in Paris, the enigma albums usually sound great. It's just some albums with compression or what have you, introduce artifacts on Tidal anyway. For instance, in some parts of Tool's song tempest on Tidal there is digital noise/hash/static that revealing cans showcase unfortunately.

Jun 3, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #17 of 19

Nokia

New Head-Fier
Well I mean everyone's tastes are different, but I like dave gilmour's live in pompeii, diana's krall live in Paris, the enigma albums usually sound great. It's just some albums with compression or what have you, introduce artifacts on Tidal anyway. For instance, in some parts of Tool's song tempest on Tidal there is digital noise/hash/static that revealing cans showcase unfortunately.
I will give all that a shot, thanks:rosette:

Jun 3, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #18 of 19

davesa

Head-Fier
try listening to Dominique Fils-Aime - the song Birds, I also like Jesse Cook, Ottmar Liebert - Up Close album, and Jim Stubblefield

Jun 4, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #19 of 19

ProtegeManiac

Headphoneus Supremus
*Update*, I just stupidly went and bought Sound Blaster g6 from Creative, it's amp/dac, can drive to 600Ohm headphones
Now it's giving the required power for my DT990 pro.

But I think my ears are awful enough that I am hearing no difference in quality at all, the only difference from onboard sound card and the SoundBlaster for my bad ears using Sennheiser hd569 is that I enjoy the sound which comes out of the onboard card more.

There's probably some sound shaping DSP running on one or both of those and they happen to do the opposite. That's why I only really just use soundcards for gaming. Even if there's noise, as long as it's not absolutely bad as to be nearly as loud (or louder) than my keyboard and mouse, no problem.

For my reference system though the Meier Cantate.2 can be set to max volume with nothing playing and there's zero hiss unless I'm using a bad tube CDP with an audible hiss coming out of them, at which point that gets amplified even more by the Cantate.2.

Just that reduced noise is enough to make the Cantate.2 seem like it has louder lows than some other amps given a quiet room, and that's just from not having any audible noise getting in the way of listening, unlike for example my back up amp, a Pangea HP101, having a hiss as soon as the volume knob gets past 12:00 (which isn't all that loud since the gain on this amp is relatively low, and yet, it still has noise).

I am totally disappointed and regretting spending all that money uselessly, which didn't I just buy Huawei freebuds instead

Yeah that's probably the best option for you.

Could you please share with me some "good recordings", I just really have not the greatest taste of music, I want to hear something which makes me happy with my purchases.
I appreciate your time

If you can't hear the difference or think it sounds worse with your preferred music there's no point in doing that. It's like people who buy audiophile recording studio compilations of songs that were originally by somebody else but they just have a studio that tries to make sure the imaging and dynamics on the recording was correct, but you don't actually like the kind of jazz or whatever genre tracks were used for these compilation albums.

Hell even pop music would sound horrible on crap headphones barring really crap recording/mastering flaws that an audiophile system might highlight.

Users who are viewing this thread