Hearing damage from noisy car
Oct 15, 2008 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

helicopter34234

100+ Head-Fier
I have an old Jeep Cherokee and its noise insulation is pretty bad. I like to listen to audiobooks while I drive but once I hit about 50 I need to turn up my radio so loud (volume about 17) that I must be around or above 85 dB. I am worried about hearing damage. Anyone considered this a problem? I would love to just wear my Sleek SA6's and drown out the noise but its illegal to wear headphones in the car. It isn't however illegal to wear earplugs. I am thinking about buying some that don't completely drain out the sound so that I can crank the radio to drain the noise but still not damage my hearing.

Oct 15, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by helicopter34234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It isn't however illegal to wear earplugs. I am thinking about buying some that don't completely drain out the sound so that I can crank the radio to drain the noise but still not damage my hearing.

I have been using that trick for years, and it works wonders. You can improve your signal-to-noise ratio by about 30db.
biggrin.gif

Laz

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #3 of 14
An alternative, but more costly would be to get some dynamat or other auto sound dampening material. You can have it installed on all four doors for around $400. Cheaper if you do it yourself. It's amazing the difference it makes.

Oct 15, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 14
A cheap alternative is to clean the bottom of the car and spray the rubberized truck liner in two thin layers. It will dampen the noise significantly.

If you have the time and inclination remove the seats and carpet and spray a thin layer on the floor. Do allow at least 24-36 hours to dry well.

Oct 15, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An alternative, but more costly would be to get some dynamat or other auto sound dampening material. You can have it installed on all four doors for around $400. Cheaper if you do it yourself. It's amazing the difference it makes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A cheap alternative is to clean the bottom of the car and spray the rubberized truck liner in two thin layers. It will dampen the noise significantly. If you have the time and inclination remove the seats and carpet and spray a thin layer on the floor. Do allow at least 24-36 hours to dry well.

My tweak is WAY cheaper.

Oct 16, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildsurfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but your tweak is way more dangerous !

I've only been a a few wrecks. Most were not my fault.

Oct 16, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by helicopter34234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think its my exhaust. If anything it is probably the whether stripping that has gone to crap around my windows.

it is wind noise you hear or is it engine noise? if the weather stripping is dead go buy some the stuff is pretty cheap. Or if you wanna be SUPER cheap buy some silicone and a razor. Close door apply silicone where weather stripping is missing. Let it dry then use razor to cut it away from the window so door still opens and closes/window still rolls down.

Oct 16, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 14
Our weather seals around windows were getting weak and starting to leak lightly, we bought some polyurethane black roofing caulk, it did the trick for water and may help your sound.

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #13 of 14
Insulation helps. Fixing part helps. But it will not eliminate the original cause of problem: The noisy car itself.

Actually, my mercury is quite noisy. I don't appreciate that at all. My next car must be quiet one, even if that means I need to pay more.

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #14 of 14
My Jeep Wrangler is so noisy that I never bought a good audio system for it. On the other hand, my stereo is directly connected to the accelerator, so my driving habits reflects my tune selection of the moment.

Something that IS hard on the hearing is our new household pet.

...and I now know why traditional Pirates in the movies say "Arrrrrgh!" It's the Parrot on their shoulder.

Claws!

....and they sometimes unexpectedly screech in your ear!

115db at 3mm....woah!

And if you forget they're there and slap on a set of cans; they chew on the cables!

Evil critters!

And this is just a tiny Parrot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back