Heard new Oasis CD
Nov 25, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #33 of 58
I wonder how the remastered tracks sound, considering the original versions were already very hot / clipped. Which is part of the Oasis sound, o' course.
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #34 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how the remastered tracks sound, considering the original versions were already very hot / clipped. Which is part of the Oasis sound, o' course.
biggrin.gif

I listened to the 2CD and EP 2-3 times yesterday and sounds very good, I was then going to get out the old Cds and comapre a couple tracks for sound quality but seems to be almost no interest in Oasis these days at Head Fi.......sad but true.

I again implore Oasis fans to grab this quickly before sale ends, 2CD 18 tracks anthology set plus 4 song EP all for $9.99 at Best Buy

Nov 26, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #35 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...seems to be almost no interest in Oasis these days at Head Fi.......sad but true....

You never know, with the population at Head-Fi constantly growing. I read this thread for the first time today (joined in late 2003), did some listening on Rhapsody, and ordered a copy of Giants. Now, I'm off to price Stop The Clocks. During my Rhapsody listening, I came upon Pulp for the first time as well, did some searching on Head-Fi, and found some selected references to their work. I just LOVE the music recos I get on this forum. Thanks to all, with a special thanks to DA.

About the great deal at Best Buy for Stop The Clocks: it is also available on the online store with FREE SHIPPING - so no need to visit the brick and mortar to get the great deal, as long as the purchase is made while the deal is on.

Nov 26, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #36 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You never know, with the population at Head-Fi constantly growing. I read this thread for the first time today (joined in late 2003), did some listening on Rhapsody, and ordered a copy of Giants. Now, I'm off to price Stop The Clocks. During my Rhapsody listening, I came upon Pulp for the first time as well, did some searching on Head-Fi, and found some selected references to their work. I just LOVE the music recos I get on this forum. Thanks to all, with a special thanks to DA.

Clocks collection is ideal for new person to get to know Oasis......but you can without question buy 1st two albums, they are Brit Pop masterpieces!
Following albums up to Giants are also high quality, after this they are not as consistently good anymore.

Check this thread out for Britpop ideas:
Britpop

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #37 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...you can without question buy 1st two albums, they are Brit Pop masterpieces! ...
Check this thread out for Britpop ideas:
Britpop

I just ordered Stop The Clocks (thanks for the Best Buy alert), and a second round of heartfelt thanks for the thread link. I'm on my way to that thread right now.

Nov 26, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #38 of 58
Have to agree with markl here, they're capable of producing quality material but its very inconsistent which is why none of their albums really stand out to me. I'm gonna check this new release out though!

Nov 26, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #39 of 58
i bought Stop the Clocks with the bonus EP the very first day of release (you know me and Oasis, DA!). it was either this package from Best Buy (and at $9.99 how can you go wrong) or the limited edition 2 CD + DVD which i decided i didn't need.

still haven't listened to it yet but it's nice to know sound quality has been improved. i'll have to sit down one day and do a huge comparison with all my Oasis discs, including all my CD singles (which i've collected since their debut up to the end of Standing on the Shoulder of Giants). i don't know why but i've got this weird feeling the A-sides on the CD singles will sound better than their respective albums.

my complaints are that while this is a great collection of songs, it really isn't a "Greatest Hits" package. the tracklisting was cherry-picked by Noel, which included choice album cuts as well as several b-sides, but i think a singles compilation would've been much more useful... i'm most surprised that Stop The Clocks didn't even include the non-album single "Whatever." also, any Oasis fan would have all the songs on Stop The Clocks already (myself included), and i wonder why i bought it... probably for the bonus EP and the artwork but i'm just sayin'.

as for the songs themselves, it's no surprise Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory gets most of the attention, with two songs from the latest album Don't Believe the Truth and one each from Shoulder of Giants and Heathen Chemistry (how is Gas Panic! not included i'll never know). i still maintain Be Here Now is their absolute worst album but at least one track should be on this compilation... c'mon, it's two discs, it's easy to add a few more songs. lastly, all four b-sides that appear here has already been compiled on The Masterplan.

maybe i'm just nitpicking, but as cool as this compilation is, and as a taster for the novice Oasis fan, to me it feels a bit incomplete.

it's been reported that Noel is saving a bona fide Greatest Hits package for when the band packs it in, but think of how friggin' brilliant it would sound? i think i'll list all their UK singles just for fun, to see how it would look like...

Supersonic
Shakermaker
Live Forever
Cigarettes and Alcohol
Whatever
Some Might Say
Roll With It
Wonderwall
Don't Look Back In Anger
D'you Know What I Mean?
Stand By Me
All Around the World
Go Let It Out
Who Feels Love?
Sunday Morning Call
The Hindu Times
Stop Crying Your Heart Out
Little By Little / She Is Love (double single)
Songbird
Lyla
The Importance of Being Idle
Let There Be Love

twenty three classic singles, should easily fit on a double disc collection, eh? i just might have to burn one for myself!

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #40 of 58
The "Stop The Clocks" (2 CD + EP) set arrived, and just today, I went through both CD's of the 2CD compilation. Its sound is full and rich with lots of satisfying rock wail, crunch and chunk, a fully credible enveloping soundstage that just draws you right into the studio with the band. The live and present sound is so convincing that I keep taking my headphones off to be sure that the background sounds aren't coming from someone at my door. I just discovered Oasis through this thread, and I'm fully LOVING the rock musicianship, the use and presentation of sounds, the feel, attitude and ambience of the places I'm being taken off to by the music, performances and production of "Stop The Clocks". Oasis reminds me of London Suede for their ability to transport me to their performance venue for a "night out" - while comfortably situated at my listening rig.

Dec 3, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #42 of 58
Consider me recruited!
tongue.gif
I'm currently working my way through that Brit Pop thread that you pointed me to, DA, and ordering what seem to be the most promising recos. I got some Black Box Recorder (Passionoia - I'm a total sucker for a woman with an engaging voice fronting for a couple of hopeless electronica geeks), and when I ordered Ned's Atomic Dustbin's "God Fodder", the cover art said "God Fodder", but the disk inside was "Are You Normal?" I like it enough to keep it, and to order "another" copy of "God Fodder" - in the hopes of actually getting it this time. And Suede's album (I think it's eponymous) has been one of my favorite "night out" listens for years now. I also have their "Sci-Fi Lullabies", "Dog Man Star" and "a new morning" - all of which are in my permanent listening rotation. I'm really glad to be able to add Oasis, Black Box Recorder and N.A.B. to that (till-I'm-dead) rotation. Mixing threads and forums a little - all of this sounds AMAZING through the new Grover S cables. So, back to working my way through that Brit Pop thread .....

Dec 3, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #43 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Consider me recruited!
tongue.gif
I'm currently working my way through that Brit Pop thread that you pointed me to, DA, and ordering what seem to be the most promising recos. I got some Black Box Recorder (Passionoia - I'm a total sucker for a woman with an engaging voice fronting for a couple of hopeless electronica geeks), and when I ordered Ned's Atomic Dustbin's "God Fodder", the cover art said "God Fodder", but the disk inside was "Are You Normal?" I like it enough to keep it, and to order "another" copy of "God Fodder" - in the hopes of actually getting it this time. And Suede's album (I think it's eponymous) has been one of my favorite "night out" listens for years now. I also have their "Sci-Fi Lullabies", "Dog Man Star" and "a new morning" - all of which are in my permanent listening rotation. I'm really glad to be able to add Oasis, Black Box Recorder and N.A.B. to that (till-I'm-dead) rotation. Mixing threads and forums a little - all of this sounds AMAZING through the new Grover S cables. So, back to working my way through that Brit Pop thread .....

All those Suede you have are great.......plus you have Sci-Fi Lullabies collection which is as good as any album by Suede (maybe even better!)

Since Neds Atomic Dustbin are so cheap used just grab all three albums:
Ned's Atomic Dustbun - Brainbloodvolume
Ned's Atomic Dustbun - Are You Normal
Ned's Atomic Dustbun - God Fodder

If you only have one NAB album though go with God Fodder, but other albums are good also.

Also of course start getting the great Oasis albums to go with anthology you just bought, these are absolutely essential britpop:
-definitely maybe
-morning glory
-masterplan

Dec 3, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #44 of 58
They're at the TOP of my to-buy list! Thanks again for all the great recos!!!

Dec 3, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #45 of 58
And don't forget BBC in Session: The La's, which was just recently released. From what I've heard, it might be a better buy than their studio album, if you have to decide between the two; I'll be picking it up soon myself. I think it was Noel Gallagher who credited them with reviving Britpop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back