HeadWize forums may stay down a bit longer
Jul 4, 2001 at 4:46 AM Post #31 of 45
Agreed w/ chych, the side menu needs to have a white backing rectangle, otherwise there's a little too much contrast, IMHO. And the bounding rectangles for selecting each item seems to be vertically off-center. Other than that, nice look.

Jul 4, 2001 at 4:57 AM Post #32 of 45
It's fine. easy on the LCD, didn't look on a CRT yet.

two things: Even though they don't work yet, the hrefs for audio technologies and diy are transposed on the sidebar.

The other one, dunno... even though the animated crossfade image loads completely (I can copy it from cache and it looks perfect) if I go elsewhere and then click back, it always reloads the image.. the banner it uses from cache, all the buttons/bars... just that one 108k gif. 100k x 25 views per user x 300 users/day = 750M/day right there!
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2001 at 7:00 AM Post #34 of 45
Thanks for the great feedback. I have updated the page again.

dhwilkin, I will wait until I have the forums configured before fixing the the click maps for the forum navigation bar.

BTW, moderator candidates should think about which forums they would want to be assigned to, if the Marketplace forum positions are filled.

Jul 4, 2001 at 10:25 AM Post #36 of 45
cmoy: Sorry, but I don't really like the new design, yet. On my Eizo/Nanao F550 the color scheme looks a little too dull - might be true for many monitors using older hitachi-crts. Maybe it would help to pick a little lighter background with a more blueish or greenish touch. And I think the black bars are a little too heavy, too - maybe worth a try with some dark green or blue. And maybe some more tiny little rounded corners for the buttons and bars?
smily_headphones1.gif
Ok, users suck, I know...
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 4, 2001 at 5:07 PM Post #37 of 45
I must say I also don't like the new design. There is way too much contrast and it's hard on the eyes.

Oh... I see you're fiddling with it. I'll reserve my judgement for later then
smily_headphones1.gif
. The original however had too much contrast.

I personally use black on lightgray for all my terminal windows. If you look at this site for example, it also uses black on lightgray. It is most certainly not the only well-balanced combination, and the type of the font plays a big role, but it's one of those that work...

Jul 4, 2001 at 6:38 PM Post #38 of 45
cmoy: I just noticed that you're going to include video reviews - good idea! Anybody remember Windowlicker by Aphextwin?
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 4, 2001 at 10:08 PM Post #39 of 45
Hi aos, doesn't a black on light gray background have MORE contrast than a black on gray? I did try a light gray and it seemed to me to be both bright and very contrasty - almost like black on white on my laptop LCD screen.

Lini, how about an olive background - which would pick up the color in the HeadWize logo? I have made the change, but am not sure which I like better: olive or gray. The gray background nicely frames those colorful Audio-Technica headphones, so at this point, I am leaning towards the gray.

chych, I have checked the page on IE 5 and Netscape 4.75 on my laptop. There are small differences, but the page displays similarly on both browsers. I don't have a Mac to test, and I have to reinstall Opera on my machine.

Jul 5, 2001 at 12:33 AM Post #41 of 45
Ok, I've gotten some feedback on the olive background, and I've decided to change it back to gray. I have also changed the white background of the forum navigation bar to olive.

The video reviews forum may not be active right away. I see that forum as primarily being for the review of videos used with 3D sound processing for headphone listening. X-rated matter is excluded. Sorry if this disappoints some of you.
cool.gif

Jul 5, 2001 at 12:24 PM Post #43 of 45
Cmoy and Jude:

Headwize has a large and loyal member group whereas Head-Fi is excelled in infrastructure. As soon as Headwize forum back online I may never post here. On the other hand, the numberous posts may swamp Headwize again. I believe it's not just me as posting similar stuff at two sites is simply no fun. Wouldn't be nice if these two sites team up so we have a win-win situation?

Jul 5, 2001 at 2:00 PM Post #44 of 45
I agree...it does seem kinda pointless to have basically the exact same user base posting on two forums instead of one. If both forums had a different user base (i.e. audio asylum vs. headwize) it would be worthwhile to have two very different resources to draw upon.

- pearle

Jul 5, 2001 at 4:28 PM Post #45 of 45
Chu, it's all about what constitutes lightgray
smily_headphones1.gif
. I normally use that combination for terminals running under UNIX X-windows so the definition of "lightgray" is taken from X RGB resources file. In any case, think of it as your favorite "gray" (whichever it is)
smily_headphones1.gif

I have no problem with black on white either as I have a good monitor and video card. But if there is a complex color scheme, with several different high-contrast parts (white on blue in one part of screen, black on white on another, black on yellow on third etc.) then it tends to hurt the eyes, at least mine...

Current design does soften the blow and looks good. Of course, it's all about what color are the forums, not the front page
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back