Headstage Arrow + J3 + Laptop
Aug 14, 2010 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bestrolledLs

New Head-Fier
Im going to keep this short and simple.

I have some Ultrasone DJ1 Pros, a cowon J3, and a laptop with a busted headphone port. Im looking for an amp that I could use both with the J3 when i'm on the go, and my laptop for when i'm mixing in logic or just listening to music. can the Headstage Arrow 12 do this?
Also, do you think this is a good choice?

thank you.

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #2 of 4
Size wise the J3 matches the Arrow quite well, but it has no USB so you would also need a DAC for your laptop.

I didnt buy one due to the long wait involved, they are not shipping until september now, but they are supposed to be great amps, if you are as patient as a saint.

For similar price/performance, look into the Ibasso range - Toucan,  or D4. I am very impressed with my Ibasso toucan with my laptop. Dont forget you should use a DAC if you are using the laptop with the Arrow.

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 4
Because the Headstage Arrow does not contain a DAC, you would have to connect it to your Laptop through your laptop's headphone jack (which doesn't work). So you will have to go with a Amp/DAC combo that accepts USB input and is portable.

If I were you, I would go for the iBasso D4. It is a DAC/Amp combo. When you use it with your J3, it acts as a great amp. When you use it with your laptop, it acts as an awesome amp/DAC. Size wise it will match your J3, though it is a little fat. It also is op-amp rollable (AFAIK). $220 new, they don't come used often.

Here's one mint condition:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/507199/fs-ibasso-d4#post_6853051

Users who are viewing this thread

Back