Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Feb 3, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #1,789 of 4,123
Burn-in is supposed to add smoothness and reduce treble harshness.

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #1,791 of 4,123
I was answering a question that didn't pertain to me. So whether I stand to what I said or not, is beyond the scope of this conversation.
All I'll say, is that I have a friend who is a high-end audio dealer and I have heard plenty of burned-in and brand new amps and, yes, there seems be a difference. And since it wasn't my equipement, namely the equipement I'd be a customed to, I think we can safely rule out de-sensitizing of the auditory response.

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #1,792 of 4,123
...but not the power of suggestion, maybe?

I'm not saying equipment (especially amps) don't benefit from burn-in/break-in, but a lot of what people claim regarding AMOUNT of break-in (in degrees of difference and length of time required) is ridiculous.  Yes, capacitors need some time to burn in and settle down, but we're talking larger ones, not the tiny little values in most portable stuff.  Headphones, absolutely though...but that's a mechanical break-in (diaphragms moving, voice coils settling, etc.)...and don't get me started on cable burn-in...that's a load of nonsense.  Maybe on some fundamental level there is a change, but can you HEAR it, definitively?  Gimme a break(-in).

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #1,794 of 4,123
Well, my experimentation was done with large desktop amps. I'm not saying I'm a believer, expecially when someone suggests that something portable and small, such as the arrow, needs burn-in, but I do recall hearing a difference while comparing large SS amps. My friend who has been working with such equipement for a very long time, however, agreed that there is a subtle improvement over time, ofcourse not as large as that of a driver breaking-in.

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #1,795 of 4,123
Just ordered an Arrow 3G, and am excited to receive it.

After owning everything from HD650s and AKG-K701s to small, cheap IEMs, I've decided that good IEMs are going to be my focus from now on. I love my larger cans, but I find myself using the IEMS far more often. Based on my new "portability is king" ethos, the Arrow seems like a good purchase. I had a Practical Devices XM4 a couple of years ago, and the crossfade was a feature that I really ended up liking a lot, so that was the deciding factor between the Arrow and Pico Slim for me.

I'll try to post impressions once I receive it.

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #1,797 of 4,123
Feb 5, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #1,798 of 4,123
Joel, that review ROCKED.  Replied as well...and at some point I'll post some pics too...just not sure which thread (J3 impressions? This one? Your review?  Pics of your portable gear? dunno...).  Also, love the new avatar...that yokel didn't do you justice.

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #1,799 of 4,123
Quote:
Quick question for those who received their G3 arrows: How long was it from the time your order updated to "processing" to the time it actually shipped?

Really depends on when you ordered...I ordered mine in mid Nov. and got it (item shipped) around Christmas.  Earlier orders waited a LOT longer, but recent orders go from processing to shipped very quickly.  "Processing" just is just Robertspeak for "I have your money, now wait until I get this damn thing tested and shipped out with 99 others".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back