Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Nov 12, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #1,216 of 4,123

Quote:
Caphead78 said:
Also, the total impedance of the S version is about 100 ohms, the adapter adds 75 ohms, not 50, though 50 would probably get close to the s sound

I hope this doesn't come off combative - I'm just throwing it out there for general interest and info:

[size=medium]
I know for sure that a "stock" P cable is 25 ohms, and APureSound P cable is 20ish, and an APureSound S cable is 75 ohms.  A fellow head-fier was nice enough to send me both of his APureSound cables to try, and let me buy the one I liked best.  I checked 'em out with my trusty Fluke while I had the whole pile.  I kept the P cable.  Note that I think the APureSound sounds the same as the "stock" P cable, basically (Sorry Alex!).  I like to wear my IEM cables over my ears, and the Ety cables are not conducive to that.  The Ety cables are miserably microphonic and long also.  Plus, my Ety's are a few years old, and have the ugly green pod in the middle.  Basically, I spent a decent piece of change for ergonomics and appearance.  Note that the APureSound solved all my issues with a really nicely made cable (does that help any, Alex?)

I did not check any of the cables with the actual IEM's attached, so I don't know what the resistance is with the IEM's in the circuit.  It looks like the impedance switch will definitely be "close enough" to the S sound for me.

EDIT - Oops! Off topic - Sorry!
[/size]

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #1,217 of 4,123
@aamefford

From Headroom's page about the er4 S-P adapter: "Short Cable Adds 75-ohm Impedance to Audio Signal". 
From Etymotic's own ER4-S page: "Impedance (@1 kHz): 100 Ohms (4B/4S) 27 Ohms (4P)"

Anyway, back to the topic. Is anyone else having trouble with the Headphonia website? No matter what browser I use the site wont let me log in to check my order status and tells me my browser does not supportcookies, which is false.

Nov 13, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #1,218 of 4,123
I was having trouble with Chrome, but firefox and safari worked fine.  Just a few minutes ago, Chrome worked fine.  None of them have made my order status switch to shipped, though...

@Caphead78, Thank you for the clarification.  It makes sense - P is ~25 ohm, plus 75 ohm adapter = S ~ 100 ohm.

Nov 13, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #1,219 of 4,123

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I sure hope that the G2.2 keeps the 50 ohm.  My main reason for this amp is to take my ER4P (25 ohm) to the 75 ohm S version via the 50 ohm setting, without the need for the adapter cable. Cross feed was reason #2, Bass boost was #3, and form factor and what appears to be very substantial output voltage from a portable pretty much round it out.

I'll let you know when it gets here 
tongue.gif

Please do!  What is your order number, by the way?  I am 2783.  Supposed to get a DAC cable with it.  I think the DAC cable is a brilliant idea if it is even remotely decent sounding.  It uses the Wolfson 8740, which is what my imod and diymod (both departed, and now missed...) use, and I thin my old Dacmagic as well.  It should sound at least as good as the i/diymods did, which was darned nice...

For sure, I don't think I will be able to bottle my joy when the darn thing finally gets here after a near 5 months wait :) (Order Number 2524 BTW). I think someone mentioned about the wait time in the Headphonia forum and Robert replied that the wait should be much shorter now. 

Regarding the dac cable, I also ordered my amp with it. I think if you write Robert and having it ship separately, you can get it much earlier before amp :)

@aamefford

From Headroom's page about the er4 S-P adapter: "Short Cable Adds 75-ohm Impedance to Audio Signal". 
From Etymotic's own ER4-S page: "Impedance (@1 kHz): 100 Ohms (4B/4S) 27 Ohms (4P)"

Anyway, back to the topic. Is anyone else having trouble with the Headphonia website? No matter what browser I use the site wont let me log in to check my order status and tells me my browser does not supportcookies, which is false.

That was the case for me too for the past 2 days with Chrome and IE, Firefox was the only allowed to login. They all seem to be working fine today though.

Nov 13, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #1,220 of 4,123
The site seems to be back up for me too w/ chrome, though mine hasn't changed to shipped either 
frown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford 

I was having trouble with Chrome, but firefox and safari worked fine.  Just a few minutes ago, Chrome worked fine.  None of them have made my order status switch to shipped, though...

Nov 13, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #1,221 of 4,123
All first born Arrow 2Gs must be sacrified to appease the Google gods!  I merely smeared lambs blood all over my Arrow.  It's safe now.

Nov 13, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #1,222 of 4,123

Quote:
All first born Arrow 2Gs must be sacrified to appease the Google gods!  I merely smeared lambs blood all over my Arrow.  It's safe now.

I don't know if I would be able to make that sacrifice....probably just let everyone suffer......
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 13, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #1,223 of 4,123
Just thought of the perfect Avatar for Head-Fi.  Ancient pagan Hebrews building a golden calf, drinking and dancing all while wearing headphones.  
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #1,226 of 4,123

Quote:
Good news for Triple.Fi owners! (me)

I noticed that my shipping info says "Arrow G2.2 Shipped". I knew Robert changed opamp in the 2.1 to get rid of the pop during turn-on, but I don't know what change was in 2.2. After several emails, Robert told me that a customer wrote him about bad synergy with their TF10. Robert said he went out and ordered a TF10 and found that the output impedance really sounds bad with them so he removed the output resister for the G2.2. So for those of you that got a shipping notice with G2.2, the difference is in the removal of the output resister.

BTW with Robert's lenient policy, I'm sure he'll let you exchange for one without the output resister if you are going to use it with TF10. As far as I know, TF10 is the only phones that behaves badly with additional resistance, so no need to freak out if you don't have the 2.2 version.

haha i was that customer. was really glad that Robert managed to fix the issue. however he told me to keep the change a secret, so i didnt share it with you guys.. but i guess its okay now.
cool.gif

Nov 13, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #1,229 of 4,123
Possibly, but the original setting on 0 was only 10ohms. My guess is it probably won't affect too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back