Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Aug 1, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #4,036 of 4,123
My initial experience with the 6TX is very positive, it is similar (in all details) with the extended review posted by okwchin here , so no need to repeat.

I decided to upgrade from 5TX, after the older unit had stopped charging and sent for repair.
The 6TX provides similar audio quality as the 5TX, with a safer charging circuit.

My 6TX (amp mode) is connected to the output of Chord Mojo, the source is LG V30+, Tidal (HiFi) UAPP (set to bit-perfect), with the Shure SE846 IEMs. I use the 6TX to enhance the bass impact of the brighter sound Mojo. A winning combination as far as I perceive.
The 6TX DAC sounds fantastic as well.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #4,037 of 4,123
Hey all,

Got a Headstage Arrow 5TX up for sale in the amps forum if anyone interested. Standard Bass version, used, but great overall condition. Will miss it, but have changed my source so don’t use it as much as it deserves...

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #4,038 of 4,123
I'm assuming the person running Headstage is apparently very difficult to get ahold of? I tried emailing and sending a private message on facebook over the weekend to see when the 6NX would be in stock again, but i haven't heard anything yet.

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #4,039 of 4,123
I'm assuming the person running Headstage is apparently very difficult to get ahold of? I tried emailing and sending a private message on facebook over the weekend to see when the 6NX would be in stock again, but i haven't heard anything yet.
Yep

Nov 7, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #4,040 of 4,123

Before you dump your hard earned money on this amp keep something in mind. It seems that Robert is running a one man army with these portable amps, he's very difficult to get a hold of. The amp has no specific specs shown anywhere, when asked Robert simply states that it is powerful enough. The amp seems to be surrounded by a small group of buyers that seem to be loyal to the seller. The amp has never been compared to other cheaper selling amps, the wait is crazy and when asked how long it will take to get one, Robert will never give you a straight answer, he will simply tell you that he will send you a lower model while you wait for the one you ordered. It will take months and months later to even over a year, waiting for an amp that has cost you 425.00 bucks. Crazy!! I highly doubt this amp sounds better than very popular and renound Fiio E12 or A5 amp at only 129.00.
Also, I have suggested Robert to allow a wide review of his amp to the popular reviewers out there on YouTube but he has yet to do it. To me he is trying to justify a big tab amp that ain't worth more than 130 bucks, so let's keep it close circuit so the real deal doesn't get out. I gave up on trying to purchase this amp. Before I purchase a big overpriced item, I need some facts and Robert has never answered clearly. No youtube reviews, no specific specs, no comparisons, long long waits with no email responses as to status and all the while you have 425.00 tide up for months on end. Imagine a break down. Not for me.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #4,041 of 4,123
Before you dump your hard earned money on this amp keep something in mind. It seems that Robert is running a one man army with these portable amps, he's very difficult to get a hold of. The amp has no specific specs shown anywhere, when asked robRob simply states that it is powerful enough. The amp seems to be surrounded by a small group of buyers that seem to be loyal to the seller. The amp has never been compared to other cheaper selling amps, the wait is crazy and when asked how long it will take to get one, Robert will never give you a straight answer, he will simply tell you that he will send you a lower model while you wait for the one you ordered. It will take months and months later to even over a year, waiting for an amp that has cost you 425.00 buvks. Crazy!! I highly doubt this amp sounds better than very popular and renound Fiio E12 or A5 amp at only 129.00.
Also, I have suggested Robert to allow a wide review of his amp to the popular reviewers out there on YouTube but he has yet to do it. To me he is trying to justify a big tab amp that ain't worth more than 130 bucks, so let's keep it close circuit so the real deal doesn't get out. I gave up on trying to purchase this amp. Before I purchase a big overpriced item, I need some facts and Robert has never answered clearly. No youtube reviews, no specific specs, no comparisons, long long waits with no email responses as to status and all the while you have 425.00 tide up for months on end. Imagine a break down. Good luck buddy not for me.
I bought 4 of them and its way better than any fiio, cayin, and vorzuge amps. I had those. I use it even more than the Mojo, hugo and ifi amps.

Nov 7, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #4,042 of 4,123
Before you dump your hard earned money on this amp keep something in mind. It seems that Robert is running a one man army with these portable amps, he's very difficult to get a hold of. The amp has no specific specs shown anywhere, when asked Robert simply states that it is powerful enough. The amp seems to be surrounded by a small group of buyers that seem to be loyal to the seller. The amp has never been compared to other cheaper selling amps, the wait is crazy and when asked how long it will take to get one, Robert will never give you a straight answer, he will simply tell you that he will send you a lower model while you wait for the one you ordered. It will take months and months later to even over a year, waiting for an amp that has cost you 425.00 bucks. Crazy!! I highly doubt this amp sounds better than very popular and renound Fiio E12 or A5 amp at only 129.00.
Also, I have suggested Robert to allow a wide review of his amp to the popular reviewers out there on YouTube but he has yet to do it. To me he is trying to justify a big tab amp that ain't worth more than 130 bucks, so let's keep it close circuit so the real deal doesn't get out. I gave up on trying to purchase this amp. Before I purchase a big overpriced item, I need some facts and Robert has never answered clearly. No youtube reviews, no specific specs, no comparisons, long long waits with no email responses as to status and all the while you have 425.00 tide up for months on end. Imagine a break down. Not for me.

As someone who picked up (and recently traded) a 5TX, and who has thus avoided the evident frustrations of endless wait times etc, maybe I can give my own, slightly objective (if such a thing exists in this hobby...), but entirely unscientific view: It IS a good little amp, streets ahead of my entry amps, including a C&C BH2, and HVA portable tube amp. Its bass boost is very nicely implemented, as indeed is the treble - am sure a lot of this could be done through eq-ing your amp, but I loved the hardware switches, and it definitely took the sound quality on my Fiio X3ii up several notches, in turns of energy, slam and musicality. It also drove my 300ohm senns comfortably. Its size makes it eminently stackable (in fact its almost too small to stack with some DAPs) and it feels fairly bullet-proof. I do not however think it's a world-beater. I much prefer my ALO Continental V2, just for sheer musical pleasure, and I personally felt that the Headstage Arrow didn't do enough to the sound with my new DAP, the Pioneer XDP300r, to be worth keeping, so I traded it on. Would I wait a year to buy one? Nope. Would I definitely get the latest model unless it had specific functionality I needed? Probably not, most reports say the different models sound very similar. Is it worth picking up in the right circumstances? Absolutely, yes.

Hope this of help!

Nov 11, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #4,043 of 4,123
Had the 5TX (enhanced Bass) for a long while. Now I have the 6TX. I did have/had several amps and amp/dacs (the Shadow, Fiio: e17, e18, e11; tried the A5; now I have the Dragonfly Red and the Chord Mojo), Both 5TX and 6TX were superior to any FiiO item I had listened to. I used the 5TX as a bass enhancer to the Dragonfly. Now I use the 6TX as a bass enhancer to the (slightly brighter) Chord Mojo, with much improved results (I am a bass head).

I am waiting to replace my 6TX with the 6TX enhanced bass.

As far as I know, it was worth it to wait the long periods until I had got those marvelous gadgets.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #4,044 of 4,123
Had the 5TX (enhanced Bass) for a long while. Now I have the 6TX. also have/had several amps and amp/dacs (the Shadow, Fiio: e17, e18, e11; tried the A5; also I have the Dragonfly Red and the Chord Mojo), Both 5TX and 6TX were superior to any FiiO item I had listened to. I used the 5TX as a bass enhancer to the Dragonfly. Now I use the 6TX as a bass enhancer to the (slightly brighter) Chord Mojo, with much improved results.
I am waiting to replace my 6TX with the 6TX enhanced bass.

As far as I know, it was worth it to wait the long periods until I had got those marvelous gadgets.
Agree

Nov 14, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #4,046 of 4,123
The 6tx sounds very similar to the 5tx. According to Robert it has a more secured charging circuit.
I did move to the 6tx, after my 5tx had stopped charging. Now I am wating for the 6tx extended bass.
Keep your 5tx extended bass.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #4,047 of 4,123
I am supposed to get the arrow 6TX as a replacement to my 5tx that got damaged, I really like headstage amps I hope Robert can send it to me soon

Nov 19, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #4,048 of 4,123
My initial experience with the 6TX is very positive, it is similar (in all details) with the extended review posted by okwchin here , so no need to repeat.

I decided to upgrade from 5TX, after the older unit had stopped charging and sent for repair.
The 6TX provides similar audio quality as the 5TX, with a safer charging circuit.

My 6TX (amp mode) is connected to the output of Chord Mojo, the source is LG V30+, Tidal (HiFi) UAPP (set to bit-perfect), with the Shure SE846 IEMs. I use the 6TX to enhance the bass impact of the brighter sound Mojo. A winning combination as far as I perceive.
The 6TX DAC sounds fantastic as well.

Does the dac in this interfere with the dac in the v30?

What about crosstalk or distortion if you hold your phone close to the amp?

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #4,049 of 4,123
My settings: USB audio player pro (uapp) , v30+ usb, chord mojo (the DAC), 6TX (amp), shure se846 (iem).
I did not notice any distortion, nor crosstalk, even when putting my phone over the mojo or 6tx.
Regarding the v30 internal dac, I guess it is bypassed by the usb audio, as well as the uapp drivers.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #4,050 of 4,123
Guys, how do you usually use your Arrow? As an AMP or as a DAC? What do you find sounding better and why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back