Headstage Arrow amp with dt880 or 990
Oct 13, 2009 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hyg71886

Head-Fier
I am looking to get a new setup to better enjoy my music on my zune 120gb. I am a bass head, but like detail at the same time. Because of that I am stuck between the dt770/dt880/dt990 headphones and for an amp the headstage arrow amp. It can strap right to the back with the zune, and has sum nice eq options since the zune has none. What do yall think? I listen to rap, rock, jazz, techno

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 12
I'd also be interested in the answer to this question--I see the Arrow has an input jack on the rear which is something I would quite like to have. I have a set of DT990/250ohm.

Oct 13, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd also be interested in the answer to this question--I see the Arrow has an input jack on the rear which is something I would quite like to have. I have a set of DT990/250ohm.

how is the sound on those? I have akg k181dj right now? Would you say there more geared for hip hop/rock? How is the bass? Is it over powering or defined but not blocking out vocals, mids, and highs?

Oct 13, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 12
They are an...interesting sound signature. They're definitely top-flight headphones, and the bass is quite good, but the jury is still out on how I feel about the highs. I'm not sure I'd like them for the super exaggerated hip hop style bass...however they are quite tight and fast for electronic/techno.

Oct 14, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 12
I just bit the bullet and ordered the m50's got em for about 104.00 on ebay. I was also going to purchase a voyager amp, does anyone have any comments on how this would help the sound? The source is a zune 120gb and a pioneer elite sc-07 reciever

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 12
Voyager is a loooooot of money for what you get.

For the same price (almost $300 usd) you can get a lot of nice offerings from other manufacturers. Check out the XM5, Cute Beyond, Mini^3, TTVJ portable, etc.

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Voyager is a loooooot of money for what you get.

For the same price (almost $300 usd) you can get a lot of nice offerings from other manufacturers. Check out the XM5, Cute Beyond, Mini^3, TTVJ portable, etc.

ya its about 244, how do you like ur mini 3? im a hip hop/rock/jazz head so how would u say it would hold up to that? I was thinking the voyager or the Arrow, however i cant find one review of the Arrow any where, but the voyager is ranked number 1 everywhere i looked on most peoples list for the price. I looked at the XM5 but its about the same price as the voyager (244.00). I don't need the Dac and the review I read up here left me questioning for the price if I would like it better then the voyager.

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #10 of 12
I like my mini3 but then, I built it myself so I have an attachment. It was a fun build, and very capable for the $70 in parts it cost me.

I love my M50s. Definitely my go-to headphone.

I'm thinking about picking up a TTVJ portable right now actually, mostly for the stepped attenuator for use with IEMs...but might just get a Emmeline Shadow. Hadn't heard much about the Arrow either however all of Headphonia's previous offerings were really capable amps.

Oct 15, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 12
check out AMB Laboratories DIY Audio Site for more info. There is a parts list, schematics, etc or you can just buy a straight kit. Does require you to have soldering equipment and a vague knowledge of how to use it to be successful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back