Heads-up: Koss Hold-A-Phone Headphone Hanger
Mar 1, 2006 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

swmtnbiker

Previously known as dpippel
I haven't seen this little item mentioned at Head-Fi:

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf...ldaPhone_Black

It looks to be a great budget headphone storage solution if you're wanting something other than a free-standing hanger. Comes in black, blue, red, yellow, and "any custom color", whatever that means. I always liked the the Sennheiser hanger that comes with the HD595 and was disappointed that it wasn't available separately. The Koss hanger doesn't look as classy but it sure is simple and cheap, and there's an elegance in that, even if it is just a piece of plastic.
rs1smile.gif

FYI.

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #3 of 14
I used to have a couple of those. Be warned that only very skinny headbands will fit past the lip at the opening, unless you use a little force to pry the plastic apart a bit. The headphones pictured at that link won't come back out of the hook smoothly; you'd have to tug a bit. And definitely forget about hanging anything with a really substantial headband like an HD600 or HD280.

But a standard (very skinny headband) telephone headset drops right in. It's absolutely great for those (and your headset is right where you can reach for it easily when the phone rings).

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #4 of 14
I have both the Koss and and the Senn hangers, and prefer the Senn easily.

The Koss is good for hanging from a bookshelf--a half inch of wood with at least a few inches of depth to support the hanger. The headphones also hang under the shelf this way. Episiarch is right that you have to pry open the hanger for larger-headband cans, but you can hang 650s by pulling them apart and the hangers do loosen when you use them. When you have a desk setup with a shelf above, this hanger can be ideal.

With the Senn hanger, you can attach it to a variety or shelfs or brackets with a range of thicknesses because it adjusts. Also, it works on places that do not have as much unobstructed depth, like edge of a desk/table or the support bars on an audio rack. Lastly, the cans hang in front of, nit under the supporting shelf or whatever. I also made myself a hugofreire-style stand that uses the Senn clamp (search Hugo's threads and find pictures--he even had a Mall-Fi ad for them for a while).

Lastly, the good news is that Meier Audio sells the Senn clamp separately for $30 shipped, or less per unit if you buy several. You can also search for that info or just email Jan Meier.

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

Cheers.

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 14
It's good to know that the fit for cans with thick headbands might be problematic. Maybe heating the hanger with a hair dryer and gently prying on the lower hook while it's warm would open it up a bit. I'm going to order a couple of them and try it out.

Regardless, it looks perfect for Grados, especially when you can buy three of them shipped for the price that Meier is charging for just one of the Senn hangers (I'm sorry, but I think $30 is a pretty steep price for such a small collection of plastic parts).

Mar 1, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
It's good to know that the fit for cans with thick headbands might be problematic. Maybe heating the hanger with a hair dryer and gently prying on the lower hook while it's warm would open it up a bit. I'm going to order a couple of them and try it out.

Regardless, it looks perfect for Grados, especially when you can buy three of them shipped for the price that Meier is charging for just one of the Senn hangers (I'm sorry, but I think $30 is a pretty steep price for such a small collection of plastic parts).

I have one and it fits my SR-60 very nicely. Have to agree on the $30 price for the Senn.

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 14
Tyll used these during the headroom tour. I remember being rather worried that I might damage some beyers trying to get them off the clip for the first time. Should work well for a number of cans though, and good price compared to the alternative.

Senn's price on their hanger is totally absurd.

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 14
They hould everythying just fine... you just need to make sure to pull down on the clip before sliding the headphones out... I have used them with Senn, Grado, AKG, Beyers and have had no troubles.

Mar 5, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
I used to have a couple of those. Be warned that only very skinny headbands will fit past the lip at the opening

Unless you mod...
biggrin.gif
Placed an aerosol can in mine (Tight squeeze!) then held it over the spout of a boiling kettle for a minute (Hot air gun was in the garage
smily_headphones1.gif
) and then let it return to room temp with the can in place - Hey presto, HD650's slip in a treat! - Go forth and mod folks!
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
Unless you mod...
biggrin.gif
Placed an aerosol can in mine (Tight squeeze!) then held it over the spout of a boiling kettle for a minute (Hot air gun was in the garage
smily_headphones1.gif
) and then let it return to room temp with the can in place - Hey presto, HD650's slip in a treat! - Go forth and mod folks!
biggrin.gif

Hey, that works, but be careful with those aerosol cans around high temps!
biggrin.gif

I just got mine today and opened it up a bit by heating it with a hair dryer, spreading the clip with my hands and then dunking it under the cold water tap. Viola! I've now got a nice 1 1/2" gap (even though I didn't really need it). These things are constructed of some very heavy plastic and work very well. Time to order a second one for my other cans and I'll have both pair hanging from my audio stand with easy reach. Not bad for a total of $18.00 shipped.

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #12 of 14
Ok so we don't have our computer tower (which the headphones are always next to) that close to a shelf in our office. Do you think the Koss hanger would stretch to clip to the desk? It's actually a table we use as a computer desk. Probably close to 2 inches thick. I don't want to buy them and then find out they cannot handle that and snap or something.

It's actually for my husband and I don't know what model his headphones are. They are Sennheiser, that's all I know. And the band doesn't look quite as thick as the one in the website photo so I'm hoping that's not an issue. Any feedback is appreciated.

My backup plan is to find a banana rack or something lol

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #14 of 14
one and a half inches is the max thickness the big Koss hold-a-phone can handle. I checked.

3438717872_e6a03cbbfb.jpg

They are great though.

3437910745_9f82d510cc.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back