Heads up! Dick Smith "Premium headphones VT H68" aluminum and leather construct
Dec 16, 2014 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 132

Xtralglactic

100+ Head-Fier
http://www.dicksmith.com.au/dse-premium-headphones-vt-h68-dsau-c1621

Just letting headfi know about this possible hidden Gem of a headphone for Australian consumers. Its on sale at $20 now (16/12/14) at DS electronics. These actually remind me of phonak PFE 132's (grey tips) when i listen to them, i just cannot believe it! It looks amazing to boot! I actually prefer these to my UE 9000 and 6000, BW P5, aTh ESW9a. I wonder if any one else bought these for kicks and were also suitably imoressed? :p

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #2 of 132
Interesting Xtral, keep us posted on your findings bud!

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #3 of 132
Well ive only got about 10 hrs burn in time on these and its rare for me to find a headphone i dont wanna take off because the sound to my ears is just so beguiling. Im listening to Eros Ramazotti live album, itunes quality, on my ipad 4th gen,line out using Just Audio AHA 120 Class A amp.

The sound to me seems to be front and centre, like your in the concert front row. Separation of instruments is also quite impressive, each having room to breathe. Bass for me is just right, there when you need thundering lows but mostly well behaved. These are not for bass heads. Mids remind me of ath esw9a actually, a bit brighter tho. The highs are non fatiguing for me, detailed, well extended. Comfort wise its quite light on my head and ear clamping is just fine for me. As i said, mostly it reminds me of my phonaks which i use in a daily basis. Its so good im actually considering of buying another pair in case misfortune befalls this pair although i find it to be well built. The machined aluminum cups are just so nice. Reminds of the FIIO X1 i reviewed a month ago..

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 132
Interesting, I've noticed they also have iem's out too! I wonder where DSE source they're products from.

Perhaps I might grab some for Christmas and try them out!

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #5 of 132
Very interesting!

Think I might have to pick up a pair. Can't be too salty if they don't sound FANTASTIC for $40. Plus they look gorgeous!

Thanks for the info and the heads up. 
L3000.gif

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #6 of 132
Have you got any pics? Might pay to post some pics of these cans in the wild!

Dec 16, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 132
Shall we send a pair to tyll hyrstens of inner fidelity for some messurements? Bwahahahaa!:D:D

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 132
Okay I should be able to grab a pair before Saturday. Will definitely post my impressions when I get them and I'll compare them to what other portable headphones I have on hand at the time.

Would be interesting to see how they measure but shipping from Australia can get pretty costly...

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #9 of 132
They are only $20 but apparently can compete with headphones twice their price!
bigsmile_face.gif

Headband looks similar to the Martin Logan Mikros 90, and also the lack of side-to-side swivel.

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #10 of 132
  They are only $20 but apparently can compete with headphones twice their price!
bigsmile_face.gif

Headband looks similar to the Martin Logan Mikros 90, and also the lack of side-to-side swivel.

Well given that Xtralglactic said he preferred them to his ESW9a's and B&W P5's I'd say they compete with things even more than double their price! 

I wonder if these will ever be available overseas... First the kogan DAP and now these headphones? Maybe aussies getting bargain audio equipment is going to be the way of the future? 
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #11 of 132
Hmmm i must also say i prefer these to my DT1350's but maybe because I find that the 1350's clamp is too light and i cant get a proper seal on my ears. Also my AHA120's seem to make any headphone sound at its best potential....maybe its the amp and the headphone combination that synergises well? Ive also replaced the cables on the VT H68's as they are 3.5-3.5 standard audio cable with a custom cable that DJscope made for me....

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #12 of 132
Might pick one up tomorrow and compare to my Momentum's, should be interesting!

What are the pads like Xtral? Do they seal well?

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #13 of 132
Yep my ears are small and my 5 hours listening to them straight did not cause discomfort. Only sweaty ears and a smile my face! YMMV of course!!

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #14 of 132
Okay picked up a pair today, first impressions are that it's definitely mediocre fake leather and I honestly can't tell if the cups are metal or just coated plastic. Suppose since I can't tell it doesn't matter too much! :p

They definitely don't feel as nice as my b&w p7's but no surprises there either...

The headphones themselves are very comfortable and look quite nice. The stock cable is as thin as tissue (flat cable) so I replaced it with a thicker 3.5 to 3.5 I had lying around but unfortunately it boosted the bass by a bunch so I'll have to do some digging to find a cable that doesn't do that.

As for the sound, its actually surprisingly well balanced with the stock cable, bass isn't overpowering and mids and highs are present but not overpowering either. Soundstage seems pretty small, a tad larger that ath m50's maybe. With the other cable the bass was punchy but just too overpowering. Shows these cans can put out plenty of bass if needed though!

Overall from my first impressions I'm happy with the $20 I spent on these, definitely punch above their weight.
I'll compare them to some other headphones later and after some more listening.

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #15 of 132
Nice! Im glad you had a positive first impression. The fact that changing cables actually affect the sound markedly means the drivers are not el cheapo. The soundstage is abit small but pairing it with my C&C BH amp with the SF (sound field) enhancer activated helps open it up abit. I can really hear the difference with it on when listening to live albums! Im still burning in mine..48 hrs now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back