headroom raise your prices a few bucks
Jul 18, 2002 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
HI: I vote for headroom to raise thier prices a few bucks on all thier stuff so headroom will give thier staff a raise for I think that all the staff do a great job. But no raise for the officers they are allready making a killing.

Jul 18, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 15
lou, what are you talking about?

like, ever?
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 15
He he... I doubt very very very much that Tyll and Todd are making a "killing".
tongue.gif
Sadly, headphone enthusiasts are a small band of dedicated warriors up against the mainstream world of of audio. We are a small audio backwater, though we are indeed well-served by the folks at Headroom. Three cheers for Headroom as always!
biggrin.gif

markl

Jul 18, 2002 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 15
Apparently headphone enthusiasts also only form a niche, if a large one, of Headroom's sales as well. Although advertising in Stereophile is expensive, according to Tyll, it pays off. I only saw a very small number of Head-Fiers at the Headroom meet in Boston, but a heck of a lot of people. Most of them knew about the tour from Stereophile, and it seems that most of Headroom's business may well be from Stereophile.

Jul 18, 2002 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 15
markl
Thanks MARK you understand. I get such great service from the staff there. I call the last minit and they still send my order to shipping. Shipping must stay a little late so my order is shipped the same day. When I send stuff back the staff credits my card within a week. I talk to mike because TOD is on the road and TYLL seem to be a home alot. So the staff at this time is well under staffed but still get stuff out on time not to mention how nice they are to talk to and very polite and helpfull. I dont mean to afend any members with this I just think the staff deserves a raise thats all. If anyone disagrees with this thats ok but please dont insult me for caring about other people.

Jul 19, 2002 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 15
kelly
HI: They could charge 1000.00 for the etys. They are overpriced at 50.00. I would take the koss-35s over the etys anyday with all respeck no pun ment to you. I just dont like the etys especially for what they cost but even if you gave them to for free I would give them back. I use the koss-35 for portable and the senn. 580s for my main rig. and get great sound and great confort and need no seal and get no earwax and no pressure in my ear cannels. I could go on but I whont. If the many ety lovers are reading this forgive me if i afended you. I mean no afense to those who like the etys. I just really dont like them.

Jul 19, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #10 of 15
This is probably the ideal thread for me to finish what I started here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...threadid=14131

The goal of that thread was to try to get Tyll, or Todd to explain their positive personal thoughts about their products. Scrolling throught the Headroom Forum, I have seen nothing, but complaining about Headroom service, and very few positive threads.
For every screw up they do, (they are human), there are probably 99 overly satified customers. I wish in the future people would please call them first, and give them a chance to solve the problem before bad mouthing them on this forum. Geessh! Ask for a 10% discount on your next purchase, or something.
I just guess it's human nature to complain when your not happy, and forget to thank when you are.

Jul 19, 2002 at 1:03 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
kelly
HI: They could charge 1000.00 for the etys. They are overpriced at 50.00. I would take the koss-35s over the etys anyday with all respeck no pun ment to you. I just dont like the etys especially for what they cost but even if you gave them to for free I would give them back.

Lou are yours for sale?

Jul 19, 2002 at 5:27 PM Post #13 of 15
CRESCENDOPOWER, I've got to appologies to you for not being in a position to answer your post before the thread got turned off. I read it as an opportunity to tell people what was so good about our amps---which is something we should be able to do at the drop of a hat, as you pointed out--and not as you performing a trolling excersize. So, do me a favor and ask it again in our forum and I'll answer you.

Good form requires me to talk generally about the subject of pricing, and not about HeadRoom specifically, in this forum area. The current consumer environment out there makes price the number one factor in attracting sales. I think this is a distructive situation given the normal recations of people and companies. Consumers will tend to vote with their dollars for companies that do the best job of putting tantalizing prices in front of people at the expense of supporting companies that have slightly higher prices but have customer service policies that tend to treat people more fairly. One of the big problems today is the Wal-Marts of the world are able to do an amazing job of pulling off both low prices and amazing customer returns policies. In the face of that kind of performance it is very easy to people to develope the impression that a retailer is either "ripping you off" with higher prices or are "sleaze bags" for not providing good service. The truth is that the big American discount retailers have won the consumer economy race, and all other retailers will be measured by a level of performance achievable only with enormous economies of scale.

OR!

You decide to sell premium product that doesn't fit well into discount economics. I believe that consumers are beginning to shift their focus and not be so enamoured of stuff-for-stuff's-sake and have begun to buy on quality. My son is a skateboarder and he'll live in ratty jeans and cheap t-shirts but when it comes to his board of his tools of fun he saves up and buys quality. I think I see this a lot in younger people who have appeared to have learned to be reviled by the gluttonous, debt generating consumption of the last 20 years, and are willing to live more simply with fewer product of higher quality.

Headphones kind of straddle the line---a BlockHead is clearly a premium product while a Koss KSC50 is clearly a mass consumer product. I believe sales success in the on-line headphone business is VERY sensitive to price and it's not something to be played around with willy-nilly. While I do think you'll see large price fluctuations occur from time to time on particular products, I also think you'll see moderate but relentless downward and broadly equalizing and stabilizing presure on price as the machinery of on-line selling becomes better understood and global pricing issues become better controlled.

Bottom line: I think the outlook is good for quality headphones. I think people will always love music and will allways have two ears, one on each side of the head. I think personal mobility and open office plans will provide continuing perception of need for headphones. And I think the real value equation of good headphones will continue to make them an attractive chioce for consumers even in the face of a wide array of places to focus their discretionary spending. But consumers will also be very wary of price and will continue to look for good prices. My guess is that premium retailers may be able to get 5% above low-ball prices, but if they go up to 10% higher prices they won't get the order volumes to grow and gain economies of scale.

Jul 19, 2002 at 9:01 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
HI: I vote for headroom to raise thier prices a few bucks on all thier stuff so headroom will give thier staff a raise for I think that all the staff do a great job. But no raise for the officers they are allready making a killing.

If you really like their customer service so much, why don't you just send their customer service guys some cash?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back