Headroom Micro vs. Gilmore Lite
Jul 7, 2005 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

morose-

Head-Fier
I use a Sennheiser HD650 set of cans currently. My budget is just about
300$ (which is what each of these are priced at). I am now using a computer as my source but don't want to upgrade my sound card because I will probably eventually buy a CD/SACD player.

Which amp is considered to be the better one?

Thanks

Jul 7, 2005 at 9:25 AM Post #2 of 15
A bit more info would help...do you need portability? What do you mean by "which is considered to be the better"? The better amp at what?

Jul 7, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 15
Sorry. Portability is not really important to me--though it would of course be an added bonus. I guess I really don't know exactally what I'm asking. I don't have anything to compare it to (because this would be my first amp). I hope that helps.

Jul 7, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 15
I haven't heard the Micro yet (will soon hopefully), but I would suspect that the Gilmore should be superior in overall clarity, less noise, and liquidity. The Lite sounded like a home amp should, utterly transparent. The Lite is a very very good amp, and it really does a great job of extracting the best out of many brands (Grado is especially mentioned often) It's more a purist design, and it performs well objectively and subjectively.

Having said that, I think portability of the Micro is a plus, the fact that I can theoretically bring my amp with me, but it still works well in a home environment is the best of both worlds. The Crossfeed circuit is something unique and IMO, a very desirable feature, and something you may not want to turn off after you get used to its effects. Later you add the very nice DAC module and mount them together for an amazing improvement out of your computer. The Micro with the Desktop module is supposed to compete very well with the better portable amps that are mentioned here often (SR-71, SM-3 etc). This well maybe my next portable amp purchase.

Jul 7, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by morose-
Sorry. Portability is not really important to me--though it would of course be an added bonus. I guess I really don't know exactally what I'm asking. I don't have anything to compare it to (because this would be my first amp). I hope that helps.

Check out this thread by canman re) his impressions of his new Micro with Desktop module:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...43#post1478943

Jul 8, 2005 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 15
Based on sound quality alone the Lite is the better amplifier and I would classify the improvement as significant. The microAmp does have crossfeed, which can be a nice feature for those who use it. This mixes sound from the left and right channels to make a sound that does not have the extreme separation of right and left channels, which for some people relieves listening fatigue. The microAmp can be run either off wall current like the Lite or from battery power which the Lite cannot. Of course the microAmp does have the matching microDAC which makes a nice little stack.

Jul 9, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Later you add the very nice DAC module and mount them together for an amazing improvement out of your computer.

I just wanted to clarify for newbies reading this... MicroDAC is not an add-on module for the MicroAmp. It is self-contained portable DAC unit that can be used with any other amp.

Jul 10, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 15
I want to agree with gpalmer on his comment a moment ago: the Gilmore amps, to my ears, have a typically minimalist sound: very clean, exquisitely punchy sound. (Is it allowed to use two colons in one sentance?) However, I do think that the smaller Gilmore amps also somehow don't have as quick highs as I expect. I have some assumptions as to what this might be, but I'm going to talk to Kevin before I say anything. I think the Micro w/desktop module would give it a run for it's money in the highs (beacause of the very high slew rate Intersil HA5002 buffer in the output). Sufice it to say, I think the Micro AND the Gilmore Lite (if built well (as Jason's are (can I have three nested paenthesies in one sentence?))) are both high value and lovely amps.

Jul 10, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
I think the Micro w/desktop module would give it a run for it's money in the highs

I haven't heard that module yet but it certainly has had a lot of good feedback. I should get to hear it in the near future though which should prove interesting.

Jul 10, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I haven't heard that module yet but it certainly has had a lot of good feedback. I should get to hear it in the near future though which should prove interesting.

Don't tell me you just bought ANOTHER portable amp!
eek.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #11 of 15
if the Micro with the desktop module sounds anything like the Desktop Portable, then it should be pretty killer. i thought the Micro module was pretty dang good, too, and didn't sound like "just a portable" to my ears.

Jul 10, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
I just wanted to clarify for newbies reading this... MicroDAC is not an add-on module for the MicroAmp. It is self-contained portable DAC unit that can be used with any other amp.

Yes, that's what I meant. It's add-on only in the sense they are made to stack together...which is what I presume a lot of people will want to do since they work and look so nice together.

Jul 10, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Don't tell me you just bought ANOTHER portable amp!
eek.gif

No, today's project was speakers...
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
No, today's project was speakers...
biggrin.gif

Oh ok, whew! I was about to drown myself in jealousy
tongue.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
I want to agree with gpalmer on his comment a moment ago: the Gilmore amps, to my ears, have a typically minimalist sound: very clean, exquisitely punchy sound. (Is it allowed to use two colons in one sentance?) However, I do think that the smaller Gilmore amps also somehow don't have as quick highs as I expect. I have some assumptions as to what this might be, but I'm going to talk to Kevin before I say anything. I think the Micro w/desktop module would give it a run for it's money in the highs (beacause of the very high slew rate Intersil HA5002 buffer in the output). Sufice it to say, I think the Micro AND the Gilmore Lite (if built well (as Jason's are (can I have three nested paenthesies in one sentence?))) are both high value and lovely amps.

Would you be able to describe the sonic differences between the desktop module and the standard one for the micro amp? I was looking into the micro amp, but caught wind of the ae-1 and couldnt resist preordered it.

I was just wondering if I made the right decision, and have always wondered what your amp with the desktop module would sound like.

I do however have an interest for a DAC in the near future, and have been lookingo into the micro dac, it seems to have a pretty good hold on the head fi community and quite a monopoly on portable dac sales
smily_headphones1.gif

off topic: BTW I saw your photo in a full page ad the other day, I think it was stereophile, anyhow, I was like "Whoa thats the guy on head fi
smily_headphones1.gif
"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back