Headroom Max/MOH owners
Dec 24, 2002 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 16
Well, I have a Cosmic Reference with a Base Station One so I'm at least knocking at the Door!
biggrin.gif

Processor on, filter on bright except with Etys. With Etys the filter is off.

Dec 24, 2002 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 16
Filter depends on headphone, but crossfeed is always used. Headroom reference crossfeed effect is easy to hear and makes very noticeable improvement in music realism.

For Senn 580/600 filter in down (bright) position. If you switch between the two bright settings they are similar, just boost spread over different frequencies, I wish they had made them more different sounding.

For Sony 3000 (or any bright cans) filter in the middle "off"
position. You will get reduced treble (when crossfeed is used)
which works geat for Sony 3000.

Dec 24, 2002 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 16
Old MOH: I use the crossfeed and the filter setting off. Lately I have not been using the the crossfeed as much. Since I got my gilmore amp I dont seem so addicted to the crossfeed.
confused.gif

Dec 24, 2002 at 1:33 PM Post #5 of 16
I also have the old MOH with less choice of filter settings. In the beginning I usually had crossfeed and filter on. When I got better sources, I usually try crossfeed off first and might turn it on later depending on recording. With Sennheiser HD600 I usually have filter on and with AT W11R filter is off.
I believe that MOH mark II gives better opportunities for fine-tuning, but according to DarkAngel the settings seem to be a little to close.

Dec 24, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
Here are a few more opinions, of course they may have changed since this thread, mine has.

Well, I think my opinion has changed also. I am finding the Max to be extremely dark, and rolled off without the filter in the brighter setting. With the brighter setting in place things seem to be faster, more dynamic, and much more transparent. These is with the HD-600, and no crossfeed.

Dec 24, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
And um, you guys are opposed to EQs? Is that right?
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey Kelly,

I have a right to be confused don't I?
tongue.gif
This is the reason I am selling the Max, and moving on. There is no way I am going to spend big bucks on a new source, and screw it up with a filter.

Dec 24, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
Hey Kelly,

tongue.gif
This is the reason I am selling the Max, and moving on. There is no way I am going to spend big bucks on a new source, and screw it up with a filter.

You can just turn it off you know
rolleyes.gif

Dec 24, 2002 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
You can just turn it off you know
rolleyes.gif

KR,

I am going to be honest, I don't think there is a compact disc player in the world that is going to make the Max, without the filter settings on, be bright enough for my tastes with the HD-600s.

Dec 24, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Hey Kelly,

tongue.gif

If the sound is what you want it to be, how can you call that "screwing up"? You're assuming the filter is somehow negatively effecting the sound, but do you know this to be true? If so, can you describe how it's negatively effecting the sound?

Dec 24, 2002 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
If the sound is what you want it to be, how can you call that "screwing up"? You're assuming the filter is somehow negatively effecting the sound, but do you know this to be true? If so, can you describe how it's negatively effecting the sound?

Well, I don't know for sure if this is the sound I want it to be, until I compare it to other amps. I will say that it is a big improvement, but on some recordings it can be kind of hard sounding in the treble.

Dec 24, 2002 at 10:26 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Hey Kelly,

tongue.gif

Did you win the Wheatfield? I really didn't care for the crossfeed in the long run with the HD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back