headroom max and hd600 is this really ultimate solution
Aug 10, 2002 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

miziq

100+ Head-Fier
does anyone of u have this combination and is this stoping to to ultimative listening...

thnx matej

Aug 10, 2002 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 24
Quite a few people have this combination. Most of us will tell you how much we like it, especially with upgraded cables for the HD 600
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2002 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by miziq
does anyone of u have this combination and is this stoping to to ultimative listening...

thnx matej

nope. The blockhead is.
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 24
I have this combination and didn't care for it too much until I got the Cardas upgrade cables for the HD600s. Now I LOVE the setup!! There are still times that I like the Etys and the K501s, but I spend maybe 80% of my listening time with the HD-600/Cardas/Max combination.

Aug 10, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 24
I'd have to say almost. With upgraded cables that is. Still I always thought the voice/midrange was kind of flattened into the rest of the music. Laid back I guess. When I heard the Blockhead it was a different story. So Lotto=Blockhead.

Aug 11, 2002 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 24
That would depend on how you like your HD-600s. That's the great thing about them, they are so sensitive to the changing of up-stream components that you can dramatically change the way they sound.
There is only one way for someone to find out which HD-600/amp combo they like the best. Listen for yourself.

Aug 11, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
That would depend on how you like your HD-600s. That's the great thing about them, they are so sensitive to the changing of up-stream components that you can dramatically change the way they sound.
There is only one way for someone to find out which HD-600/amp combo they like the best. Listen for yourself.

So which source should I use to kick up the midrange/vocals? I guess the Cambridge Audio D-500SE is pretty laid back?

Aug 11, 2002 at 1:54 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek

So which source should I use to kick up the midrange/vocals? I guess the Cambridge Audio D-500SE is pretty laid back?

Man! How many amps have you been through? Do you even own one now?
To push the midrange forward I would change the amp. Solid-states tend to increase the extremes, where most OTL amps push the midrange forward. That's why a lot of people love the OTL/HD-600 combo.
Also, for me, the Stephan AudioArt Equinox cable pushed the mids more in balance with the treble, and bass very nicely.
Most CD players that I swapped with the HD-600s did not push the mids forward near as much as the previous options above. They changed transparency, timbre, pace, rhthym, dynamics, extention, resolution, and the soundstage slightly.
But, remember the biggest change to your system will come with the headphones. If you don't like laid back midrange maybe the Beyer DT-931s might be up your alley.

Aug 11, 2002 at 2:03 AM Post #9 of 24
The amps I have left are a JMT Penguin, TA and Creek w/OBh-2. Yeah I pretty much ran the gamut from Max to Melos. Maybe I should have stuck with the RS2 and RA1.

Aug 11, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #10 of 24
I don't think that combo is the ultimate listening. The Orpheus is far and beyond superior to the 600/max combo. However, the 600/max combo may be the next best thing, although I haven't heard Stax phones, which might be quite formidable.

Aug 11, 2002 at 7:21 AM Post #11 of 24
the thing is that i cannot listen to any of setup cos im from europe and there is now way to listen and try out any of the combinations...

Aug 11, 2002 at 7:22 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by bifcake
The Orpheus is far and beyond superior to the 600/max combo. However, the 600/max combo may be the next best thing

Did you attend any of the HeadRoom WOH stops? A lot of people actually didn't think the Orpheus was "far and beyond superior." Better, yes, but not necessarily lots and lots better to everyone.

But don't forget the BlockHead/HD 600 combo -- I'd say that was the "next best thing" (then the Max after that
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Aug 11, 2002 at 8:37 AM Post #13 of 24
Miziq,

Headroom offers a 30 day trial period for their amplifiers, so you may want to go that route. (They make the Max and other quality amps). As far as other components, see if there are hi-fi shops around that would let you sample the headphones and amps. Else, try the various electronics and hi-fi shows where manufacturers showcase their equipment to see what you like.

MacDEF,

I found the Orpheus to be about 20% better than the blockhead/600 combo. To me, that's very significant. The improvements were primarily in airiness and sparkle of the reproduction. I just thought the Orpheus was the second coming.

I thought the differences between the Max and blockhead were negligible. I couldn't hear much of a difference between them. I also couldn't hear any difference between the 580's and the 600's with upgraded cables. I have very good ears, so I'm comfortable that if there were differences to be heard, I would have heard them. I don't know if it was their set up or if those are the differences. I heard the set up at the Sennheiser booth in the home theater expo in NY this May. People told me that Sennheiser's setup for that particular demo was substandard. I don't know if that's the case or not.

Aug 11, 2002 at 9:24 AM Post #14 of 24
Well, my *personal* Holy Grail of Headphone/Amp is the Orpheus headphones attached to a swtichbox that allows you to swap between the Gilmore amps, all attached to the Linn CD12[for redbook], the Accuphase 100/101[for SACD], and one of those big floor-standing reference turntables [for vynl]... But that combination would have a retail price of, oh, >$60-70K.

But a lot of people have liked the BlockHead; Todd says it's measurably faster than the Big O. Also, the Big O tube amp isn't terribly good - sure, it's GOOD, but it's not as good as it *should* be.

So for now, I'd say either BlockHead or Big O, depending on whether you like SS or tubes. (the Big O is a very tubey amp, IMHO)

Aug 11, 2002 at 3:28 PM Post #15 of 24
The R10 + Max is better than the HD-600 + Max, according to those who listened to it (including Tyll).

It is debatable whether R10 + EAR HP-4, Stax Omega II, Blockhead, or Orpheus was the best sound at the DC stop of the Headroom Tour. My vote went to the R10/HP-4 combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back