Headroom Little vs. MG Head vs. META42
Nov 27, 2002 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

CarterFan41

Head-Fier
This is kind of an "offshoot" thread of my "Best Amp for HD600s on a Budget" thread. I'll definitely be going with the HD600s. Everyone's feedback mentioned the Little, MG Head, and Meta42. Which of these would be the best bang for the buck? Right now, the MG Head is looking pretty good. The Little also looks good, and I think I could find it for cheaper than the MG Head. I've also heard many good things about the Meta42, but I understand it's kind of a build-your-own deal there. I wouldn't be able to do this.. would somebody be willing to build me one?

I listen to lots of jazz, indie rock, experimental stuff, etc. I just want good sound quality. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Ryan

Nov 27, 2002 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 16
Tough call. I've heard the META and MG Head. They both sound very, good with the HD 600's. The MG has the better midrange, must be the tubes. I bought my META from JMT. Also a lot of good sound in a small package. I don't think you could go wrong with any of these amps. The Little has crossfeed which others don't. Some people love it some don't. In the long run it's up to your ears.
cool.gif

Nov 27, 2002 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 16
Yes, you can get a built meta 42 from the DIYers here in the forum : Eric343, Tangent, Kurtw, JMT, others-I-don't-have-in-mind.

the price depends of what you ask them. Usually around 200$.

Btw, I am interested in this thread too because the 3 amps you give are the most serious in my quest for an amp for a pair of K401s.

The real interest of the little is that you can buy 2 upgrades : one to improve the power supply and the other one for the components.

Nov 27, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 16
Huh, tough question. Very tough question, and you'll surely get many responses, and there will be at least 3 different ones.
wink.gif
I went through the same choice a few months ago. I went with the Meta42. Sure, the MG Head gives you glorious midrange, but you have to be afraid of quality issues with Divergent. When I called them, let's just say I didn't feel like I was treated all to well. Personally, as much as I love the little, I went with the MG Head, though I regret not being able to hear what the upgraded little could do. . .

Still, the high and low end extension and detail of my meta more than make up for it.
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2002 at 7:02 AM Post #6 of 16
You might want to avoid getting an mg head since so many folks here have had QC issues, including me unfortunately. Although i haven't heard one yet, the meta42 sounds like a great amp, try that first and see if you like what you hear. Maybe down the road you can spring for a tube amp...maybe the sonic adventure amp should be considered?

Nov 27, 2002 at 11:06 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by CarterFan41
This is kind of an "offshoot" thread of my "Best Amp for HD600s on a Budget" thread. I'll definitely be going with the HD600s. Everyone's feedback mentioned the Little, MG Head, and Meta42. Which of these would be the best bang for the buck? Right now, the MG Head is looking pretty good. The Little also looks good, and I think I could find it for cheaper than the MG Head. I've also heard many good things about the Meta42, but I understand it's kind of a build-your-own deal there. I wouldn't be able to do this.. would somebody be willing to build me one?

I listen to lots of jazz, indie rock, experimental stuff, etc. I just want good sound quality. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Ryan

I was under the impression that 600 sounds best with classical music. U sure you have no interest in other models?

Nov 27, 2002 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 16
Just to throw another amp option...

Why not consider a Kevin Gilmore Dynamic amp from Antness?

It's more expensive than your initial choices, but not outrageously so. For $500 you get a glorious sounding amp that will likely end whatever urges you might have to upgrade in the future.

I had a (tooo brief) opportunity to hear HD600 (+ upgraded cable) + KG dynamic amp at Hirsch's headphone-fest. Extraordinary! I did not have a chance to listen enough to provide a full review, but I will say it compared favorably to the Blockhead.

For a more complete review of the KG dynamic amp, see Kelly's review here.

Happy listening!
Bruce

Nov 27, 2002 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 16
I've had/have two of the three amps you mention (I had the Little/More Power, now I have a JMT Home Meta plus Corda HA-1). I also listen to jazz, mostly, and I have the Senn 600s.

I liked the Little, though it was punchy. It has the upgrade path, which is good. While it has the crossfeed circuit, I like the JMT much better (the JMT Meta does not have crossfeed). Better dynamics and overall more "refined." However, my favorite is the Corda HA-1. It's the most refined of all, has the Meier crossfeed (which touches the sound much less than the Headroom circuit) and it works really well with the Senns. You should consider it in addition to the Meta.

Nov 27, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #10 of 16
having used the mg head and little, I would go with the little, but I can not testify to the META amp since I have not used or heard it, but in my experience with the hd600 the little is the way to go when choosing between those two.....

Nov 28, 2002 at 5:45 AM Post #12 of 16
Buy it used, though, from a reputable Head-Fi-er. There's a heated debate going on over in the HeadRoom forum regarding quality issues of new ones, and HeadRoom has stopped selling them.

Nov 28, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
One aspect to consider is tube rolling? If you like to collect and tweak the MG Head offers a lot of opportunity to change/modify the sound with different tube sets. Where as the solid-state amps are more likely to be used as is.

Not true, really. I always socket the opamps in my amps, so that they can be swapped at will. You could socket the buffers as well, if you chose to.

Nov 28, 2002 at 8:56 PM Post #14 of 16
As a qualifier I said "more likely".

Point being you can tube roll without voiding the warranty. Not everyone has a soldering iron or the needed skills. Tube rolling takes virtually no skill and only a modest amount of common sense.

Nov 28, 2002 at 9:52 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
Point being you can tube roll without voiding the warranty. Not everyone has a soldering iron or the needed skills. Tube rolling takes virtually no skill and only a modest amount of common sense.

Let's see... Since the chips are socketed, there's no need for a soldering iron. Remove chasis cover, pull old opamp out, put new opamp in, replace cover. Doesn't take much skill to 'chip roll' either.

(Rembember that CarterFan41 is looking to buy one from someone else)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back