Headroom Home as an integrated amp
Aug 17, 2002 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ajy55906

New Head-Fier
Is anyone using the headroom home as an integrated amp with high efficiency bookshelf speakers.?

I have 2 sources cd and radio, that I would consider. Since this would be used in a home office which is quite small, I would prefer not to add a dedicated amp.

I would consider the Zotl, but it is limited by one input.

I would also appreciate suggestions for speakers in the range of $1,000 or less - preferably less.

Thanks.

ajy55906

Aug 17, 2002 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 12
If you call David Berning, he will quote you a price for adding a second input to a ZOTL.

Aug 17, 2002 at 8:07 AM Post #4 of 12
crescendo, that thing is really cool! Too bad it doesn't have a preamp included -- it would be the perfect higher-end desk/office amp. But for use with a Max or Maxed Out Home with the pre-out, it would be a sweet setup.

Aug 17, 2002 at 8:24 AM Post #5 of 12
Yeah! I have always thought the Parasound Speciality Products were pretty cool. I am running out of room myself on my desk, and I need a small remote controlled am/fm tuner. I'll probably get the Parasound TDQ-150. Only 9.5 inches wide.
I hope sometime in the future Parasound recognizes that headphone listening can be of serious high-fidelity, and make an integrated-amp just for headphones.

Aug 17, 2002 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for your reply Hirsch. Have you or anyone heard the zotl driving bookshelf speakers? If so, which ones.

Has anyone heard or located a review of a zamp? It certainly is the right size!

Ajy

Aug 17, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 12
I tried using the ZOTL to drive small monitors. Unfortunately, I don't have any efficient small monitors. When driving the KEF 101.1, which is happier with 100 wpc, the ZOTL sounded good at low volumes, but let's just say it clipped gracefully if I tried to get the KEFs to listening levels. I do have a set of Optimus mini's I got for a whopping $10 at a Radio Shack tent sale that require a bit less power, but still more than 1 wpc. At low volumes, those sounded suprisingly good...with more bass than I would have imagined. I didn't even try to have the ZOTL push my B&W Matrix 804's
tongue.gif

My ZOTL does have a set of preamp outputs added to it, and both sets of speakers sounded happier when the ZOTL was sitting in front of an Acurus 200 wpc power amp
tongue.gif
It does make a nice tube preamp, with the outputs installed
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm contemplating getting the input switch (Berning better not put the switch on the back by the inputs...
evil_smiley.gif
)

Aug 18, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by ajy55906
Thanks for your reply Hirsch. Have you or anyone heard the zotl driving bookshelf speakers? If so, which ones.

Ajy

I'm pretty sure I read a (favorable) review at www.audioasylum.com
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2002 at 12:18 PM Post #10 of 12
ajy55906

You could check out some of the NVA amplifiers http://nva.sclnz.com/ if your looking for something small. I believe there is a version of the 10 that has 4 inputs and a headphone jack. UHF Magazine, a high end audio magazine here in Canada, raved about it with regular speakers. I have a friend that uses one as a dedicated headphone amp and from what I remember it was awesome. You can buy them as a DIY kit or assembled through Peak Audio in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. These guys are quite reputable and know alot about the NVA stuff http://www.peakaudio.ns.ca/ .

This is what I may get down the road as a home amp for my stereo. I have quite effecient speakers that were designed with Single Ended tube amps in mind.

Anyhow just an idea for you.

Phil

Aug 18, 2002 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 12
I also raised this issue to see if I could use headphone amp with Loth Ion from Southwesternaudio. Joe Roberts there said you can drive 93db speaker with 500 milliwatts, but headphone amp needs to be able to drive 8 ohm load.

Other budget solutions might be ASL The Wave, 8 watt mono-blocs @ $100/each + ASL pre-amp/headphone amp (next in price point above MG).

ASL also has 2A3 integrated amp, 3watts branded as either Tulip or Orchid (can't remember which is integrated). Very favorable review in Listener magazine currently on newstands.

Hirsch also told me about MicroZolt, but read Oscher on MicroZolt at enjoythemusic or at his blackdahalia. One other helpful comment in thread I started.

Richard Moss

Aug 18, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #12 of 12
What about the C.E.C. HD51? I don't know about its sonic qualities, but it might be worth a try...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back