Headroom Desktop Amp options
Mar 22, 2006 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

addyngan

New Head-Fier
I just ordered the Desktop Amp w/ the Desktop DAC, with the understanding that any module/DAC above the desktop version require the extra power supply. Now as i read thru the description again, I am not sure if my understanding is correct. Does the power supply comment only apply to the electronics module, or to the DAC as well?

If it doesn't apply to the DAC i will probably consider the home or max DAC.

Addy.

Mar 22, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 10
I have that unit, and use the stock powersupply with no problem. I was under the impression that if you used either of the upgraded modules, then the unit would run better off the improved powersupply.

They will answer your questions at Headroom, wonderful folks to work with. I just figured since I was running what you ordered, I could confirm that it runs fine with the supplied power source.

Mar 22, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #4 of 10
"Please be aware that any module choice above the standard Desktop module will require the use of the separately-sold Desktop Power Supply in order to truly realize the full sonic potential of the upgraded module(s)."

I read from this they'll work below their potential with the regular supply. From my own experience, upgrading the PS can make for significant improvements. Note I am only talking about going from pretty flimsy to what you get standard these days at headroom (Cosmic upgraded supply). So the desktop supply would for sure be a nice thing on the upgrade path.

Mar 22, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 10
Some Module/DAC combinations won't work at all with the stock PSU due to too high mA draw. I don't know exactly where the line is, but I can promise you that Max Modules and Max DAC combined will make a beautiful crackling/hissing noise if you plug in the wall wart.

The power requirements apply to the modules and DAC - the Home and Max DAC's have OPA627's in Class A bias, which is enough to tip the current draw over the edge.

Mar 22, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Some Module/DAC combinations won't work at all with the stock PSU due to too high mA draw. I don't know exactly where the line is, but I can promise you that Max Modules and Max DAC combined will make a beautiful crackling/hissing noise if you plug in the wall wart.

eek.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Well if you think about it, the total count in that config is: 10 OPA627 in class A (4 per module, 2 in the DAC), and 4 HA-5002 in class A (2 per module), meaning a total of 14 opamps all in class A bias.

How about their Max line - the max amp with max dac? How many OPA627 are using?

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mika
How about their Max line - the max amp with max dac? How many OPA627 are using?

Exactly the same - the electronics are modular, and available in various different product lines. The differences are on the main board with regards to power supplies, etc (makes more of a difference than you'd think). A balanced amp with Max Modules and Max DAC will have 20 627's and 8 HA-5002's for a total of 28 opamps in class A bias.

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #10 of 10
holy opamps batman
i bet that thing consumes more wattage than my 510w powersupply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back