Headroom Crossfeed vs. Meier Audio Crossfeed
Aug 5, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #16 of 23
The effect is really sublte on the SM3, that's what I like about it. You really have to listen close to hear it, and I almost never listen that close. All I really want is the ability to listen for a couple of hours without ending up with a headache.

Aug 5, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #17 of 23
Yeah, I have a Xin SuperMicro and the crossfeed is very subtle, but it does help for those long flights.

Aug 5, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #18 of 23
I have the Cross-1 Corda standalone and absolutelly love it, distortion??? Not at all, or better not more than other sources as a bad cable, or a bad source, or a bad mic used in the recording, and many others, we live in a distortion loaded world...but I have not heard the effects of the standalone unit yet and I heard very complex music. Maybe you need a more resolving headphones or a better source (BTW mine is nothing spectacular neither) I silver wired it and it sound pretty neutral, saving of course what is natural in that device due to the circuit.

The standalone unit offer also the advantage that can be added to any amp, and over that has two impedance matching controls, for a better insertion in the system, it is not so expensive, give it a try if you can....

Aug 6, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

The Corda is very subtle. On some music, I could hardly tell the difference between crossfeed (medium processing) and no crossfeed.

I hear similar a lot and it never ceases to amaze me.

The amount of distortion that is introduced with the Meier crossfeed in my HA-2 is minuscule compared to the completely unnatural way I hear normal recordings through headphones without it. But I can see how people may like the 'Headphone Sound,' regardless.

Unless you have lived your entire life listening through headphones (and never to speakers) without crossfeed of any sort (in the recording or electronically added), or you have lived your entire life living in an anechoic chamber with your lover(s) whispering the word of Cousin Divine in one ear, then I can't see how you could argue that listening without some sort of well-designed crossfeed is more natural.

Aug 6, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Fox
I hear similar a lot and it never ceases to amaze me.

The amount of distortion that is introduced with the Meier crossfeed in my HA-2 is minuscule compared to the completely unnatural way I hear normal recordings through headphones without it. But I can see how people may like the 'Headphone Sound,' regardless.

Unless you have lived your entire life listening through headphones (and never to speakers) without crossfeed of any sort (in the recording or electronically added), or you have lived your entire life living in an anechoic chamber with your lover(s) whispering the word of Cousin Divine in one ear, then I can't see how you could argue that listening without some sort of well-designed crossfeed is more natural.

In the Corda I may say that the differences between the three stages (or two in some cases of integrated ones) are indeed very subtle, but the difference between engaging it, or not, it not that subtle, you will notice it imediately, it gives you a whole more natural presentation of the musical event. It is true that the soundstage collapse a little bit as a result, and that is why I will not reco it, with for headphones with a narrow soundstage, but for my beloved marshmallow, with a huge soundstage, to engage the crossfeed take a Jack Danields on the rocks, sit back on a recliner dim the lights, play some Pat Metheny and relax...is a very nice experience.....
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif

Aug 6, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Danger
Anyone heard both? ...

I'm a longtime HeadRoom fan and have never heard the Meier. But if you scroll through this thread you'll find a valuable comparison by machead.

Best,
Beau

Users who are viewing this thread

Back