headroom and hd 650 a bad match?
Mar 13, 2009 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

esien

Head-Fier
hi,
i recently got a used pair of Senn HD 650 and hooked it up to my Headroom w/ Max module. it seems to me that the sound is very... stuffy, veiled. the bass is too present that even with a short listening session, it hurts my ears a bit.
does anyone get the same impression?

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by esien /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi,
i recently got a used pair of Senn HD 650 and hooked it up to my Headroom w/ Max module. it seems to me that the sound is very... stuffy, veiled. the bass is too present that even with a short listening session, it hurts my ears a bit.

That's surprising to me. I have an older generation Max, and I still like the combination of it with the Sennheiser HD650.

Quick question: Are you using crossfeed (processor) on or off?

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question: Are you using crossfeed (processor) on or off?

i'm using crossfeed on and perhaps that's what causes the bass to be too present?

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

i'm using crossfeed on and perhaps that's what causes the bass to be too present?

HeadRoom's crossfeed does have a bass boosting effect. (There are other types of crossfeed, some with the opposite effect when engaged.) Try it without it, and see if that alleviates/eliminates the problem.

Next question: Prior to receiving this HeadRoom amp, were you already using the HD650? I know you said you had "recently" acquired it, but I'm trying to assess if what you're hearing is based on how it sounds relative to a previous configuration you tried it with.

Anyway, I'm assuming you'll prefer it without the processor on. Also, since any previous amp you used with your HD650 (if any) was probably not equipped with crossfeed, you'll get a better idea of how your new amp is performing in comparison to your previous setup(s) with the crossfeed off.

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

hi,

i have found that the hd-650s have thee best synergy with all my headroom gear! try headphone cable upgrade it really makes a difference!

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 10
I use my 650 with an older HeadRoom Maxed Out Home amp with good results. The 650 is certainly not any darker with the MOH amp than with my Raptor, and the Raptor is not considered a warm amp.

Mar 15, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 10
thank you all for the comments!
before i had meier headfive which also had crossfeed but it had a quite different effect. i'll listen to these cans more to see if burn-in makes any diffrences or if i'll eventually get used to the 650's dark sound signature.
i'll see how it goes.

thanks

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

hi,
stuffy, veiled. the bass is too present that even with a short listening session, it hurts my ears a bit.

That might just be your ears reacting to the 650. I know that I always feel that way with the senns, like they are just pushing air into my ears very forcefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back