Headroom amp on TV ?!?
Oct 9, 2002 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

AC1

500+ Head-Fier
Was watching the Gilmore Girls (ok, stop laughing) and they used a Total Airhead and Grado 125's as props for this character that was a music nut where the character actually mentioned that the headphones were "Grado 125s" but the Airhead was mentioned as just a "headphone amp", though you could see that it was an Airhead... Stupid I know, but for some reason I find it hard that people know that a headphone amps actually exist.

Oct 9, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #2 of 16
Interesting...the cans and amp must've come from someone on the set.

Oct 9, 2002 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 16
Heh. I was going to post about this but didn't know what TV show it was or what amp it was. I was hooking up a rather ****ty indoor TV antenna to try to make my TV receive a UHF channel in time for Smallville and heard the character say something like, "It's a headphone amp and Grado SR-125s. The amp makes the headphones louder and the clarity is just out of this world. I'm kind of an audio geek." It was kind of surreal to hear it on TV given how seldom I watch TV.

Oct 9, 2002 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 16
Yep, it was a Total AirHead and Grado 125's, they contacted HeadRoom for the equipment. Didn't give us a mention, but I tried.
wink.gif

A woman named Helen called me up one day and told me they were shooting an episode in their show that mentioned headphones and wanted to borrow some equipment. Maybe I'm not supposed to say this, but the real deal is that one of the producers of the show has actually ordered a number of things from HeadRoom and is a headphone lover.
smily_headphones1.gif
(...hmm... perhaps a Head-Fi member...?) I believe that she said he actually wrote that particular episode, and made a point to 'write in' some equipment, which was of their choosing, btw. She told me the script had already been written as "a headphone amp and Grado 125's"... but really that's no surprise. Most people haven't heard of Grado let alone HeadRoom, and it's hard to casually mention "oh my Total AirHead..".
evil_smiley.gif

What's funny is that I actually caught that part of the episode, as my roommate watches that show. The fact that a national TV show mentions a headphone amp is quite impressive, even if the scene was a little cheesy. The show is obviously aimed at a younger audience, and I think it's excellent that the concept of high-quality listening and being an "audio geek" made it into the script.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2002 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 16
My wife watches this show.
It was a brand new episode.

I happened to be in the room when this segment came on.

When I saw the amp I told my wife that it was a Total Airhead.
She was less than impressed.

Oct 10, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #8 of 16
Ugh, wow, notice how nobody actually watched the show, but only happen to catch it because somebody else was watching it... bahaha, funny... Even Ivy,...wait, so how old is too old then??? Haha... Ok, I even have it Tivoed (not something I should admit)... But cool, interesting how this all came about.

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 16
That's very cool Ivy! I figured someone on the set knew that headroom exist for a TA and Grado's to be used. I don't understand they didn't thank headroom during the ending credits.
confused.gif

Are they ASHAMED?!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:44 AM Post #11 of 16
Was it in today's episode? My sister taped it so I just went and fast-forwarded through it (I didn't watch it, for I didn't want to start vomiting) and didn't see any Grados... Is it near the beginning? middle? End?

Oct 10, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #12 of 16
fiddler
The episode being discussed aired Tuesday just before Smallville on WB here. Does this show come on daily?

I shouldn't criticize something I haven't made time to check out (and don't intend to) but the lines after the headphone like "I love you er I mean I love that you are like that" was pretty cheesy. I mean, I was wanting to watch Smallville and I'm calling it cheesy.

So I take it this is the only show that has ever mentioned a headphone amp?

Oct 10, 2002 at 5:01 AM Post #13 of 16
yep next it will be the sennheiser 580s and a Max Out META42 on tv . Then radio and all the news papers. We head-fi folks will rule the world. LOL

Oct 10, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #14 of 16
It's a great show. It's generally well-written, funny, and intelligent, though this particular show was a bit saccharine and contrived in places (specifically the freaky Harvard-bound kids).

You guys are fast, too. I was watching it delayed on my ReplayTV around 11PM PST, and someone had already posted about it then. I thought it was cool that a rock afficionado used Grados (125s!) --- it would have been a minor let down if he'd been toting HD-600s.

--Andre

Oct 10, 2002 at 4:44 PM Post #15 of 16
Hmmm, interesting. With so many people "not" watching the show, no wonder it is a hit.
wink.gif

I was disappointed when this was the reworked result after Lauren's original sitcom with a simliar premise (teenage daughter from a teen pregnancy) called "MYOB" was cancelled. It was a smartly written, fast paced half-hour sitcom that only lasted a few episodes. I am amazed that "Gilmore" has lasted this long. I guess I am not their target demographic.
tongue.gif

At least they have the whole headphone thing. Kinda cool. Rock on!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back