HeadRoom AirHead- any good?
Aug 17, 2002 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

dougbrad81

100+ Head-Fier
hi,
i would like to purchase an headphone amp, but just don't have to resources for it. i notice this and was wondering if it was any good, since i can afford it. would really appreciate some feedback or other recommendations in the same price range. thanks.

Aug 18, 2002 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 18
What cans do you plan to use it with? What's your budget?

Aug 18, 2002 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 18
hi,
i'm waiting for my senn 580 to arrive. this would be my first set of high-quality headphones by the way. Well the most i could spend is $150, so i realize my choices are fairly limited. any recommendations would be appreciated though. By the way, i read in a previous post about the Pioneer Elite A35R. Kow how good these are. here's alink if you're intrested. http://expressaudiovideo.com/pionela3.html

Aug 18, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 18
The Senn 580's are a no-brainer, big thumbs-up choice. At worst they will become the baseline from which you will judge all other cans, and will allow you to discuss this with fellow head-fiers. More likely they will serve you well, and give you much sound pleasure for years to come.

As far as the Airhead is concerned, a simple search here will turn up alot of discussion about this amp, especially the newer 4.5V models that are currently in production. My personal take is that it is utter crap for the full retail price, especially the "Total" version. It approaches an OK value for the prices recently listed on the used market. Do the search, read the posts.

For your budget or a little bit more, I would look at the Creek OBH-11 home amp, or one of the better DIY amps that can be customized to your particular application (home vs. portable, etc.) and headphone.

Aug 18, 2002 at 5:36 AM Post #6 of 18
i recently got a 4.5v Total Airhead in, and am very surprised by the performance from this dinky little amp. i've only used it with the mucho easy to drive Ety 4p, but it's an amazing combo, portable or otherwise. the sound is full, enveloping, and just plain enjoyable. bass is surprisingly there. treble is rolled off, especially with the processor engaged (although that's partially the fault of the 4p) but not a huge issue when you consider the price.

i don't know how it fares on harder to drive cans like the HD580, and i won't make any assumptions about it. but with the 4p's on the go, i couldn't ask for a better portable sound system. my airbag and i travel almost everywhere together now. i love my Meridian and McCormack home setup, and it sets a high standard, but i've found room to love another setup too
wink.gif

Aug 18, 2002 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 18
Eww, don't buy a Creek instead.

The best thing to do is figure out the most money you can spend on this and if it's under $300, email one of the DIY guys and see what they can do for you. If it's only $100, there are still CMOYs and CHA47s that can meet your needs.

Aug 18, 2002 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 18
all these amps that are mentioned, are they mostly DIY? i'm not skilled with soldering, so are there people on this boards that would make them for a fee?

Aug 18, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by dougbrad81
all these amps that are mentioned, are they mostly DIY? i'm not skilled with soldering, so are there people on this boards that would make them for a fee?

Several people do, yes. Off hand I know Eric343, JMT and Tangent do.

Aug 18, 2002 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by dougbrad81

Yup. Offhand, I know the same ones as kelly. I take it your budget is $100? You could get a nice cmoy or cha47 built for you, customized for your hd580s. A cmoy + 580s was my first serious system. Now, I've moved on to the meta42. It'll be a bit more expensive. . . but it's a GIANT step up. . . but the cmoy will make a great starter amp.

Aug 18, 2002 at 3:58 PM Post #11 of 18
hi,
well let me first say i appreciate everybody's help. now i was wondering how do i contact these guys to see if they are willing to built the amps? just send them a pm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back