Headphones
Jun 25, 2008 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Goit

500+ Head-Fier
Do headphones have to go through amps? Like can they be directly connected to computer soundcards?

Do they headphones have some sort of built in amp in them? Or do only the mainstream models like from logitech do? Because I have a pair of 15 dollar plantronics headset, and it works right out from the computer.

And what about the amps in computer speakers? They all have headphone out ports.

I just have trouble spending 100 dollars on an amp for a headphone that is not much more expensive than that.

Jun 25, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 9
Headphones do not have to go through amps and can be connected to computer soundcards just like any other mainstream model. The amps in the computer speakers do not benefit the headphones if they are plugged into the speaker headphone ports and can actually make them sound worse. You do not need a amplifier for plantronics or mainstream headphones and buying one would be a waste of money unless you are going to buy a better headphone in the future.

Jun 25, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones do not have to go through amps and can be connected to computer soundcards just like any other mainstream model. The amps in the computer speakers do not benefit the headphones if they are plugged into the speaker headphone ports and can actually make them sound worse. You do not need a amplifier for plantronics or mainstream headphones and buying one would be a waste of money unless you are going to buy a better headphone in the future.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...-guide-271258/

From this thread, when it's listed under 1, it means that an amp doesn't make a difference? So like I can just choose from 1 headphones and not worry about the amp?

Jun 25, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Amp not needed' is very different from "doesn't make a difference".

Agree, but I am not sure if this applies for the OP's setup.

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...-guide-271258/

From this thread, when it's listed under 1, it means that an amp doesn't make a difference? So like I can just choose from 1 headphones and not worry about the amp?

Basically yes, but some of them will sound better with an amp. Those headphones categorized under 1 are probably going to be your best bet, but then again what kind of DAC you are using comes into play greatly also.

Jun 26, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Basically yes, but some of them will sound better with an amp. Those headphones categorized under 1 are probably going to be your best bet, but then again what kind of DAC you are using comes into play greatly also.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ale...th-es7-338301/

I'm looking at those three headphones.

Which one will do the best directly plugged into the soundcard of the computer? I use a creative labs audigy 2 zs.

Jun 26, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #8 of 9
Alessandro ms1. I haven't listened to them myself but I heard they are excellent headphones for the price. I have the sr-80s and they are good for rock and jazz. The ms1's are basically the modded version of those headphones or one of the lower line of grados. How are they modded you ask? Well they arn't as bright and are now more compatible with a variety of music.

Jun 26, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Alessandro ms1.

Thanks.

Can you spend a little more time to tell me a bit about the details?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back