Jun 18, 2005 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Apad

New Head-Fier
"Im looking for a set of headphones."

Specs:

-$200 or less
-stay on while walking
-as little sound leakage as possible without that "closed" sound
-2 amps: one very small(any price) and the other any size(around 50$)
The small amp is for shure e2cs and an ipod mini(mainly to extend battery life). Its important that it be small and portable for exercise.

The new headphones and ~$50 amp are for a Creative Zen Touch.

I have seen some headphones recomended often on these forums and researched them a bit.

AKG k240(studio or monitor?)

-good appearance
-not too much sound leakage?

Alessandro MS-1

-not bad looking
-look more comfortable than cheaper grados
-secure on the head?
-quite a bit of sound leakage?

Sennheiser HDXXX

-lots of models
-dont like the plasticy look of some of them, but that's not too important

Thats about all i know. I'm open to all suggestions and am pretty flexible in terms of price.

thanks,
Apad

Jun 18, 2005 at 8:40 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi Apad,

Just my two cents for your post, first of all: Welcome to Head-fi, Sorry about your wallet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apad
AKG k240(studio or monitor?)

-good appearance
-not too much sound leakage?

I have not auditioned AKG K240's and they do look reasonably sized, might be a bit cumbersome for portable use. I will have to let others to comment.

Quote:

Alessandro MS-1

-not bad looking
-look more comfortable than cheaper grados
-secure on the head?
-quite a bit of sound leakage?

They are good looking if you are into the Grado's look, and they should be equally comfortable with SR-60 due to their similar utility of the 'Comfy' pads.

The Grado/Allesandro comfort issue is very subjective, you do adapt with some use.

I think the MS-1's wil stay on your head with walking pace.

Sound leakage is unavoidable, due to it's open design.

Quote:

Sennheiser HDXXX

-lots of models
-dont like the plasticy look of some of them, but that's not too important

Some of the HD6x0 would be exceeding your budget, but this is head-fi, budget means nothing.
very_evil_smiley.gif
But seriously, the Sennheisers headphones, despite their plasticy look, they are reasonably durable.

Lots of models means you can choose ones that sounds more to your taste.

Best of luck,
Overlunge

Jun 18, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 3
well i happen to be in Melbourne, Australia at the moment. I think i found a hi-fi store on elizabeth st.(giving the name in case anyone lives here and knows of it) I'm hoping to get over there in the next couple of days and try out some of these headphones. The nicest headphones I've heard are shure E2C's so my ears aren't all that experienced. I hope I'll be able to discern some difference in the sound between the MS-1's and the k240's. Will a hi-fi shop probably carry these headphones? I can always try out the sr-225's if they dont have the ms-1's and get a somewhat similar quality?

Thanks for the help,
Apad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back