Headphones you regretted buying the most
Aug 1, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #1,111 of 1,852
The Etymotic MC5's were really disappointing.  They sounded too analytical and boring.  I immediately hated them from when I first tried them on though the fit/isolation and detail was very good for the price and the build quality was top notch.

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #1,112 of 1,852
Quote:
The Etymotic MC5's were really disappointing.  They sounded too analytical and boring.  I immediately hated them from when I first tried them on though the fit/isolation and detail was very good for the price and the build quality was top notch.

Those were my first IEM of good quality, and I really enjoyed them until I got some Atrios in the house. I gave the Etys to a lady friend and she seems to enjoy them. 

PS. The Etys sounded significantly better once I put some Comply tips on them. 

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #1,113 of 1,852
Meelectronics M6. I know I know, that they're a budget IEM but I never once could replicate the (positive) reviews that I read from forums and from Amazon itself. The in-ear monitor sounds too thin, bright and fitting it is just a nightmare. The volume level on both sides aren't even matched.

Did look later to see if what I bought came from Amazon itself and yea it did. So i guess the headphones isn't just good.

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #1,114 of 1,852
Denon AH-D2000. Had them for about of year since I don't try to buy the same pair of cans twice, but I never really liked them. Coming from a pair of DT880, they were too recessed for my taste and didn't have the overall clarity I like. Also, I did not care for the overall build quality. I really like my new Q701 but AKG should be smacked for the headband design.

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #1,115 of 1,852
ATH-M30 -- bought them for DJing, I plug it in and wonder why FM radio is playing house music--congested and grainy
RE2 -- my first serious IEM, clarity was light-years ahead of the Apple buds so I thought it was really great at the time but it was way too cold and bright... also the RE2s came with a bundled E5 which was a lame combo, it just made the sound a little muddier and slow... a few months later I upgrade to Phonak 022s and what a glorious sweet heaven... wish I had just bought the Phonaks to begin with

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #1,116 of 1,852
Beats pro, I bought them so I could see for myself how good they are, and then I was going to return them for some denon d5000. sadly I dropped them and got a the adjustable headband came lose and the corner of it got chipped so they refused to take it back.
mad.gif

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #1,117 of 1,852
None other than the well-known ATH-M50. Here's why:

1. I find them far too uncomfortable.
I even ordered new pads because I thought that was the problem, but apparently not. I stretched them for days and it seems that nothing has helped. There's always an unpleasant pressure near the bottom of my jaw and the headband is terribly thin. This is the main reason I dislike them - I just can't enjoy my music without noticing how uncomfortable they are.

2. I don't think they're worth the $120 price tag.
Speaking from a consumer standpoint, they sound nice but reviews online build up the tension perfect for disappointment. To the untrained ear, the difference in sound quality is not proportionate to the difference in price. Alright, this may be a personal issue/preference, but it's still an issue in my book. This actually transitions into my next point...

3. They could sound better.
I do like the V-shaped sound signature, but I don't really like the soundstage. I like my soundstage either very close or very far. Also, I'm not a basshead but I think I would like a bit more bass impact (I have the white box version, which is apparently more neutral). I also find them a bit too harsh/sibilant/bright? I must have delicate ears. Otherwise, I think they sound quite nice across the board but for $120 I wish I got a bit more.

4. They're too bulky for my tastes (also see: not portable in the slightest).
I know, they're obviously not built to be portable cans...but why, then, do people still recommend them as such? Anyways, they're very bulky (although fairly light in comparison to the SRH440s) and the cord is absolutely impractical for pocket storage. The cord is not detachable and has no remote/mic option. It's also fairly incompatible with my computer, which has its headphone jack on the front, making the cable hang down on my lap as I browse...which is annoying. Wearing them around the neck isn't too comfortable. All in all - why anybody would take it outside is beyond me (although I've seen it happen before).

Conclusion: I just don't like 'em. Should've tried something else like the Shures (440s) or Ultrasones (580s/780s). Maybe the Senn HD558s, because I'm interested in the open-style sound.

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #1,118 of 1,852
Deep down I kind of wish I had just skipped the ATH-AD2000. It felt like buying a new new BMW or Ferrari, but with no seats.
It makes me sick having to do some stupid "phat pad" mod on a $425 (USED!!) headphone. Your ears would press against the metal driver cover and just constantly annoy you.
Not only that, but the pads stink and it's not due to human contact. Why would Audio Technica ruin such an amazing headphone with such bad pads that go flat and feel weird?

If the ATH-AD2000 had GOOD pads I would have been happy to pay up to $600 for a new pair. No joke. Hopefully AT got the pads right on the W1000X. Probably not a chance they sound similar.

I also once traded something for a Sextett. On day one I was kind of kicking myself. I won't mention what I traded it for. Despite nice mids, my Sextett always sounded like...well a $75 headphone. Sorry.

Aug 2, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #1,120 of 1,852
M-Audio Q40.. vice like grip, quite hissy, and the very thin pads made the cups really shallow so the earthquake levels of bass had a first class ticket to your ear canal... gave me a head ache

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #1,121 of 1,852
HD595.

Its itchy sound signature made me think there was something wrong with my hearing.
It has set me to the endless upgade path that eventually led me to LCD-2.

Had it been ATH-M50, it would probably end being my only headphone.

Aug 2, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #1,122 of 1,852
Quote:
HD595.

Its itchy sound signature made me think there was something wrong with my hearing.
It has set me to the endless upgade path that eventually led me to LCD-2.

Had it been ATH-M50, it would probably end being my only headphone.

Doubt it, ATH-M50 was my first headphone and I went on a crazy upgrade path regardless. Staying on headfi doesn't make you content with what you have. This place is evil.

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #1,124 of 1,852
Quote:

Those were my first IEM of good quality, and I really enjoyed them until I got some Atrios in the house. I gave the Etys to a lady friend and she seems to enjoy them. 

PS. The Etys sounded significantly better once I put some Comply tips on them. 

They are definitely good for the price but I was coming from a pair of RE0's which was definitely much more musical and warm in comparison.  I am definitely not hating on the Etymotic brand as I now own and primarily use the HF2 which I love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back