Headphones you regretted buying the most
Apr 24, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #1,021 of 1,852

Quote:
^ My mistake was, I tried in a noisy shop, I have to crank up my (Cowon D2) volume to 30/50 to fight the noise, well, they are nice and balance at this level.

But in office and home, 10-15/50 is my comfortable level.  That's when the bass become MIA, but upper mid still there, boy, it's fatiguing!
I tried to help with iPod + P51 with no success.  Off he go to FS forum.

Lesson learned, always try in the shop with my normal listening level and for you, don't read reviews after you buy! 
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I've found that that is one of the things that separates good and great headphones; the ability to still sound full-bodied at low volume. It seems to be a lot harder for headphones to do than I realized before I started this quest.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #1,022 of 1,852
I regret buying the Klipsch S4s, if I had to pick one (I feel bad for attempting to derail the thread with my jibber jabber). I remember them sounding both harsh and boomy at the same time. I also remember thinking that the treble had a metallic quality to it. They weren't terrible, don't get me wrong, they just weren't my flavor.

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #1,024 of 1,852
Believe it or not, headphone that I regretted buying is LCD2, sound quality is amazing on this headphone but I rarely use it due to comfort. It's extremely uncomfortable after few minutes. I learn that the best headphone (for me) is the one I can wear for a long period of time. :)

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #1,025 of 1,852

Quote:
Believe it or not, headphone that I regretted buying is LCD2, sound quality is amazing on this headphone but I rarely use it due to comfort. It's extremely uncomfortable after few minutes. I learn that the best headphone (for me) is the one I can wear for a long period of time. :)

I believe you, see my post #951

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #1,026 of 1,852

Quote:

I believe you, see my post #951

I am in the same boat as you, I use Denon AH-D7000 more than any headphones that I have.
Denon's are very comfortable, I say fits better than HD800 and T1.

And Denon 7k sub-bass is something that I cannot find in any headphone.

I really don't understand why Audeze made the uneven ear pads (thinner in front and thicker rear) to angle the driver, instead they should have made the even pads and angle the drivers like T1 and HD800. Big time design flaw, and it's heavy as wearing motorcycle helmet.

I hope they come up with the new design perhaps LCD4 ? :)

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #1,027 of 1,852

Quote:
I am in the same boat as you, I use Denon AH-D7000 more than any headphones that I have.
I really don't understand why Audeze made the uneven ear pads (thinner in front and thicker rear) to angle the driver, instead they should have made the even pads and angle the drivers like T1 and HD800. Big time design flaw, and it's heavy as wearing motorcycle helmet.
I hope they come up with the new design perhaps LCD4 ?
smily_headphones1.gif

If the Denons are more comfortable than the T1s, then they must be DAMN comfortable lol. I'm infatuated with the comfort of my T1s. As far as the sub-bass, that's just another example of how we all hear differently, I guess, cause when measured the AH-D7000s fall short of both the T1s and the LCD-2s. Graphs and measurements play only a small role in terms of how I evaluate a headphone, but the frequency response should certainly be reliable in terms of which headphones are more capable of reproducing the low end. The 7ks start to roll off just below 40hz, whereas the LCD-2s measure flat all the way down to 10hz. The T1s are in between the two.

I've come close to buying some AH-D2000s, so one of these days I hope to give the Denons an audition.

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #1,028 of 1,852

Quote:
I've come close to buying some AH-D2000s, so one of these days I hope to give the Denons an audition.

I am going to buy Denon AH-D2000 for my mom :) it's also great cans to watch tv/movies :)

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #1,029 of 1,852

Quote:
I am going to buy Denon AH-D2000 for my mom
smily_headphones1.gif
it's also great cans to watch tv/movies
smily_headphones1.gif

I've heard lots of great feedback on them and I would like to have at least one pair of closed cans in here just to see the difference. On top of that, I like the looks of them quite a lot.

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #1,030 of 1,852
I had the D2000s and the sub-bass is incredible.  Even though the HD650 measures really close in the bass department on paper, I found sub-bass of HD650 doesn't come close to the D2000's.  I sold them off eventually though because the bass, I felt, was too present in songs that didn't need it and the mids were recessed too much for my liking.

Great cans for movies and games though.

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #1,031 of 1,852
The best part of Denons are the cable. It's some sort of cloth material.

If you listen in low volume and try to rub the cable with your fingers, you hear no noise.

Other than Denons, lot of IEM / entry / mid-tier headphone cables are made of rubbers, due to this every time you move your neck or touch the cables you hear the noise.

I really hope Denon makes D7000 successor, :)

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #1,032 of 1,852
Meelectronics A151.. so dark i couldn't hear any treble at all. :frowning2:. and the reviews said they were really good...

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #1,033 of 1,852
sorry for the double post but:
Quote:
I hope they come up with the new design perhaps LCD4 ?
smily_headphones1.gif

it's already quite hard to angle a "small" 50mm voice coil dynamic driver. angling a huge, thick orthodynamic driver is almost impossible, which was why they made uneven pads rather than angling the driver.

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #1,034 of 1,852
I also regret a purchase for comfort reasons.
UE 700 is the one and I suspect all IEMs will make me regret to buy.

2 days ago when I used ue700 to listen Mozart's sinfonia concertante E flat, at the begining of 2nd movment (mainly viola), it sounds like $5 earbuds or AM radio quality. How can a highly regarded IEM act like that? Regret.

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #1,035 of 1,852
The only headphone I really regretted buying was the AD700. I sold it off in a week or so after wards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back