Headphones you regretted buying the most
Apr 14, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #1,007 of 1,852
I'm not going to add any, but I'm a relative amateur who moved up from the Koss PortaPros to the HD 595s which are mentioned a lot here =/

Do people really think the 595s are lackluster for their price? I have a pretty good ear and think they're pretty good, but I've never experienced anything higher myself. I'm just wondering how much I'm missing out on.

The 595 to me is the jack of all trade. It doesn't excel in one but is above average in a lot of areas. It's great for casual listening on your laptop or iPod. I use them all the time for convenience. They're fairly cheap. Extremely comfy. Extremely durable. I've had it for 7-8 years and they still look brand new. I'd compare the 595 to a Honda civic/accord.

I absolutely dislike dt880. I find the articulation too woofy.

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #1,008 of 1,852

Quote:
Audio Technica M50.

confused.gif

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #1,009 of 1,852

Quote:
I'm not going to add any, but I'm a relative amateur who moved up from the Koss PortaPros to the HD 595s which are mentioned a lot here =/

Do people really think the 595s are lackluster for their price? I have a pretty good ear and think they're pretty good, but I've never experienced anything higher myself. I'm just wondering how much I'm missing out on.

What exasperate me with the hd595 is that they are slooooow..... Not very good with fast paced music.
Also, their are not very great in both ends of spectrum, bass & highs.
Bass is lacking some impact, highs  some "aggressivity" when needed.
Add to this a laid back soundstage, and the hd595 are perfect for snoring.
But at least they are very good for ambient recordings (I was listening "nature cd" with them , these days) , and good to relax.

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #1,011 of 1,852
A M50 not having enough bass and Sennheiser HD595 being equivalent to a Honda Accord/Civic... *Faints* 
eek.gif

The HD595 isn't a bad headphone in my view by any stretch, just think it was overpriced being a slight tweak from the HD555 which also kind of knocked Sennheiser's credibility. What irked me about them was the cracking in the headband (mine started cracking after 2 months) and then then mine had some notable grain in the treble, but apart from that they are pretty good allrounders and very comfy to wear. The HD580 and HD600 are significantly better though in all respects. Would be interesting to try the HD598, but too scared because the design so similar to that of the older models.

M50s have incredible sub-bass, perhaps not as much mid-bass.. Guess there are better bassy options out there! 
basshead.gif

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #1,013 of 1,852
HD-280 and ATH-M50.  Didn't like them as much as I had hoped I would.  The HD-280 is too flat for me, and the ATH-M50 is okay but I prefer my HFI-580's more.  Now that I have a couple pairs of Ultrasones, it's time to get rid of the others.

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #1,016 of 1,852
By far, the headphones I regretted the most were the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro. They aren't terrible, but after hearing some other cans in their price range, and for a bit more, I realized they weren't for me. I can see where they might have their uses, but for me, they weren't very good.

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #1,019 of 1,852

Quote:
UE700!  They literally drill my eardrum through my brain.  I get headache in less than 15 mins.

Ya know, I'm still sort of on the fence about the UE700. I liked them for a while because of the detail, but then I made the mistake of reading a review that talked about their sibilance. Even though I hadn't noticed it before reading the article, after that it was really apparent and fatiguing. I ended up trading them for the UE600 and I like those a lot more.

It makes sense, as the FR graph for the 700s shows a pretty extreme peak in the area most closely associated with sibilance and the UE600s show no such peak. At least the graph seems to match my hearing somewhat. :)

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #1,020 of 1,852
^ My mistake was, I tried in a noisy shop, I have to crank up my (Cowon D2) volume to 30/50 to fight the noise, well, they are nice and balance at this level.

But in office and home, 10-15/50 is my comfortable level.  That's when the bass become MIA, but upper mid still there, boy, it's fatiguing!
I tried to help with iPod + P51 with no success.  Off he go to FS forum.

Lesson learned, always try in the shop with my normal listening level and for you, don't read reviews after you buy! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back