Headphones you have that sound much better than their brand or price would suggest
Aug 3, 2019 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

turbomustang84

500+ Head-Fier
Do you have a pair of Headphones that are much better than you expected ?

I am a Dinosaur JR fan and there was a vinyl single that was only released as a Skullcandy promotion that included a pair of custom Dinosaur JR Aviator Headphones and originally I intended to give the headphones to one of my grandkids.
tumblr_mpoobtK12e1qctvzro1_640.jpg

I was shocked with the Sound Quality and the Build Quality as the removable cable and the case it came with was really quite good.

These are mostly neutral with maybe a slight lift in the Bass and the highs are good but never piercing.
They are odd because they are not really over ears or on ears but kind of in-between.

But next to my Bose QC25s they are the most comfortable of all my headphones.

I have since purchased a couple more because they are just that good and can be found new for between $35-$60

I have several headphones that I keep around for different tasks that they perform well .

but these are the only ones I keep around strictly because they rival my high end Headphones on music reproduction.

Aug 3, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 16
Audio Technica ATH A900

Might be ugly, but boy are they feather light and to this day, I still use them on the odd occasion.

I have a few pairs of Audio Technica's, but the ATH A700 & A900 stand out for me. 10 years old and still sound very good.

My headphones today are Sennheiser HD800S and Mr Speaker Aeon Flow Closed. Trust me, in my opinion, the ATH A700/900 headphones do not sound out of place in amongst more expensive first two headphones.

Aug 3, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 16
Does Skullcandy still make the Aviators? When they first came out Skullcandy really made waves. It's basically why people don't look down on them in disdain like they used to. Between those and their Mix Masters people started to have really high hopes for them.

Aug 4, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #5 of 16
Does Skullcandy still make the Aviators? When they first came out Skullcandy really made waves. It's basically why people don't look down on them in disdain like they used to. Between those and their Mix Masters people started to have really high hopes for them.
They quit making them a few years ago but for some reason there are a lot new ones on eBay

Aug 4, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #6 of 16
That's awesome, I might have to grab a pair. Even when I wanted to hate them, I just couldn't, they sounded too good. I think their MSRP was like $150, right? At that price they were absolutely competitive with the likes of the DT770 Pro and Ultrasone HFI-580 at the time.

Aug 4, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #8 of 16
But next to my Bose QC25s they are the most comfortable of all my headphones.

I have since purchased a couple more because they are just that good and can be found new for between $35-$60
Where did you find them for that low of a price? ANC performance on these are just as good as QC35. I just want a good ANC set around for purposes I need them like flights.

Aug 5, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 16
Creative Aurvana Live (Not the CAL 2's - the older model - the one based on the Denon AH-D1001) can be had new for less than $70. It's basically a scaled down (for want of a better term/word) version of Denon AH-D2000,- thinner sounding, smaller sound stage, but there are some sonic similarities.
I don't currently have the CAL but thought it was worth mentioning.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #13 of 16
Every one his choice but for me the Sony MDR1AM2.

Aug 25, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #14 of 16
I don't think I've ever given Sony enough credit in the audiophile realm, but the MDR-7520 are truly fantastic headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back