1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Headphones with unusually large drivers

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by vitalb, Jul 19, 2012.
Next

Last
  1. VitalB
    Hello everyone

I've been finding headphones that have unsually large drivers and I noticed that there isn't a thread for them. (Correct me if I'm wrong) So I thought it would be a good idea to make one.

I'll begin by throwing in the Lafayette Model F-990 with 3.5 Inch (88.9mm) drivers.
    7fc934248692d8e156311334292156b6.jpg

And the Koss KO/727B with 89mm drivers.
    koss20k42.jpg

2. Dennito
    Sony MDR XB 1000 70mm

[​IMG]

3. obobskivich
    Koss ESP/950 if you count electrostats - AFAIK they're still the biggest electrostat drivers ever put into a headphone (and probably the biggest headphone drivers ever by extension*); 7sq. in. of radiating surface. I don't know the physical dimensions of the drivers (they're not circular).

* EDIT
    After doing a bit of math - the Lafayette drivers have a slightly larger overall radiating surface, at 9.4 sq. in.

Sony MDR-MA900 also have 70mm drivers. Sennheiser HD 800 have 58mm drivers. I think those are two of the biggest current production models.

4. fabio-fi
    Sansui SS-100 and Fostex T30

Most of the fostex models have big drivers. 

5. TMRaven
    Are we counting planar magnetics and electrostats as well?  All of those have huge drivers.  Now I really want to try those Lafayettes btw.  They look sweet as well!

6. obobskivich

There's a pair claimed nib on the bay for around 50 bones bin.

Also, if the 950s are still the biggest ESPs out there (Koss still claims them to be), the F-990s have bigger overall drivers. Regarding orthos, I don't know which one is largest - I would guess the LCDs though.

7. fabio-fi
    Quote:
    A headphone is a headphone, op didn't specify. [​IMG]

8. VitalB
    Sorry if I forgot to specify but yes I'm including all types driver types.

9. obobskivich
    So the Floats and TakeTs should probably be mentioned then? :p

10. VitalB
    Anybody knows how much more larger are the Koss than the Stax lambdas?

There's the Koss A/250 and A/200 which shares it's design with the ESP but I can't find the driver size anywhere. Can anybody please give a measurement as they seem to be quite large.
    Speaking of Koss, from the vintage catalog I have says that the K/6 series headphones have 63mm drivers, same with the K/135 while everything else has 50mm drivers. Except for the K/145 with  38mm drivers, strangely it cost more than the K/135.

11. VitalB
    I forgot about the floats, actually I think almost every pair of headphones based on the Jecklin Float design has large drivers.

12. obobskivich

The A/250 and A/200 internally have almost nothing in common with the 950 - they're dynamic cans.

13. VitalB
    Quote:
    That I know, what I'm asking is since the A/250 and A/200 share similar or even the same housing as the ESP/950, I'm wondering how large are the drivers for the A/250 and A/200.

14. obobskivich
    I think they're pretty normal, like 40-50mm, but I may be wrong.

15. VitalB
    If they were it would be rather dissapointing. I wonder if anybody can post a picture of the A/250 and ESP/950 side by side.

Also does anybody know any pairs of headphones that used or adapted from speaker drivers?

Next

Last