Headphones with least amount of ear sweat and for big ears
Nov 7, 2018 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

freddystreet

New Head-Fier
Hello dear Head fi community,

i am since long desperately searching for a pair of cans that dont make my ears sweat and also dont touch my ears.

I have tried a lot: Bd Amiron, Sony Z7, Sony 1000XM2, Bose Quietcomfort2, Bd Aventho, AKG 712, All B&O Models, SHR 1540, B&W P7.

Neither of these Headphones had big enough earcups that wouldnt touch any part of my ear (mostly sitting on earlobes or gracing out rim of the ear), or made me sweat like in a sauna. The Bose were the best in that regard, but also the earcups were too small. I dont know what i should try anymore.. Any suggestions?

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 17
I think this is a good question and fairly asked.

I have medium sized ears and generally prefer an over the ear headphone. With that in mind headphone cup size is one of the factors I consider when buying new cans.

Give a look at the new Sony MDR-Z7M2. Plenty of room for your ears to comfortably fit inside of the cup without feeling like you're swimming in them.

Good luck!

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #4 of 17
I hate how no one answers questions on these boards. Its like they only stick to their headphone threads only.
I hope someone answers your question though as Id like to know this too.

It's because this wasn't posted in the recommendations thread.

Anyway the HiFiMan Sundara should be better than most in this price range for this. It's a very open headphone.

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 17
Great suggestions! Did by any chance someone compare the Z7 and Z7M2 in terms of sweat? Cos the Z7s were quite the swimming pool in summer. from the pictures it doesnt look as if that much has changed, although they claim that the new pads absorb moisture...

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 17
I live in a warm climate the first day or two I received the Z7M2's we had 85+ degree F here in Los Angeles. That said, I was in an office with cool forced air and also had a fan running. So I've not really had any issues. That said, the earpads are synthetic leather and I can only imagine that sweat would be an issue on the hottest days.

Nov 8, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #9 of 17
@freddystreet
Unfortunately, I think you will need to steer clear of most (if not all) Sony cans due to both your ear size and the sweat/heat prone materials that Sony typically uses. They are perfect for studio-use, climate controlled conditions, and cooler climates. Sony's failed me in the tropics :frowning2: due to no fault of their own... just the way the cookie crumbles. I would also highly recommend that you select a model that allows for direct ear pad replacement and/or easy modding... again experience in the tropics has taught me this well!!!

I think the following "cans for sweaty big/protruding ears" check list will help you refine your search:

open-back
large ear cup
ear pads with breathable material that are replaceable (or easily modded)
headband (low to medium clamping force due to ear size/position)
lightweight (heavier cans unfortunately tend to be hotter in my experience)

Nov 8, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #10 of 17
If price is no object there is mysphere. Hd800/s also have a huge earpad opening. If neither the suggested Grado is something to consider. I prefer grados during heatwaves.
I wouldn't suggest Grado. Anything that touches the surface of the ears, particularly with closed will create greater insulation, and therefore heat build-up. I agree with the previous poster. Something open with lots of space in the cups that do not touch the ears or the least possible. Also, if touching, material difference can matter depending on how much is touching such as Velour vs leather/pleather. Velour will get warmer.

Look into Rtings reviews, they go into temperature.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #11 of 17
In regards to OEM Grado or Custom/Modded Grado (w/ specialty after-market drivers, headbands, gimbals, and cups) it really depends on which cush (ear pad) model is being used. If the smaller S or L-cush then yes, I would agree with @SilverEars but... if we be talking about the much larger G-Cush, goodness no I would have to completely disagree!

The very large G-Cush ear pad has been hands down one of the most ear friendly pads I have owned or used. They are super comfortable, hygienic, cool, and very roomy. Plus you simply toss them into the washing machine for a cleaning when needed!

A friend of mine is a former world-classed wrestler with massive cauliflower protruding ears and my Nhoords with the G-Cush were the first pair of headphones he could wear comfortably without irritation... he has since thrown away his cheap iems and ear buds and now owns a pair of Grado RS1i cans with G-Cush Pads and has replaced the headband with a larger aftermarket headband that offers reduced clamping.

Now the thing with Grado is of course the headband and the clamping. If too tight well that would make almost any ear pad feel like crap and will definitely tend to make you sweat more. My Grado-like Nhoord Audio Red v2 build is a featherweight and with G-Cush pads I nearly do not feel the headphones on my head... what really helps is the retro-fitted tank-like but very lightweight Sony MDR-7502 headband that I am using which seats perfectly with no clamping to speak of.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back